Diving after tiny dose of valium

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In Libya? :funny:

You made me spill my tea from laughing so hard, I was about to go to bed. Hahahahaha.

I'll respond to our dear Doc tomorrow. I am so out of energy now. It is only 4:15 AM here.

Here is the bottom line for me; I know a lot of people who probably should be taking some mind altering drugs and I won’t dive with them, ideally if they took some small amount of something that helped them, first off I wouldn’t or shouldn’t know, it’s their business not mine but I’m also not entering into any sort of contract of legal responsibility with them. If this diver acts normal I’m good with that.

This whole argument is so far off-base. We started with someone asking about using Valium and diving. Question was answered.

Now we’re debating whether dive professionals residing in mental institutions should be teaching clownfish taking Welbutrin how to coexist with anenomes. I love SB.

I took the OP’s original question to be whether low doses of Valium that are well tolerated on land would have a different effect underwater. I don’t think anyone has pointed to any evidence that there would be —and the study from the University of Malta, which looked at response to Valium under hyperbaric conditions down to 50 meters, suggested that there is no difference in response on land and underwater.

Beyond that fairly narrow point, we can probably all agree that any form of mental impairment, whether caused by drugs (legal or otherwise), alcohol, exhaustion, dehydration, illness, etc., is less than ideal when diving. We can also probably agree that it is a rare diver indeed who is a perfect specimen of peak mental and physical health. And it’s probably not a good idea to board a dive boat wearing a T-shirt that says “I took Valium this morning — what about you”? :)

The placebo effect is very real. Take it from Steve Martin: “ I would NEVER say this to you people, but, in this case: if you EVER get a chance, to take these drugs… DO IT! They’re called… [ he glances from side-to-side cautiously ] Placebos! I mean, I’m thinking that right now I have NO idea where I am at all! It is WILD! Placebo!”

Not if the student/buddy is my daughter or my little boy, no f'ing way. Heck, I wouldn't want to dive let alone take a course from somebody with ANY such issues where they have to take medication for it even for minor dose. Seahorse manure, I can't imagine taking a cave diving or wreck diving course or accepting a student in this type of courses if they have these issues.
Exactly what issues are you talking about?

Best regards,
DDM

If they lied in their medical form, then I can't help it.

Sure, but not underwater. Can they get permit to fly with a full load of passengers on a commercial flight if the airliner knows about their not so well mental health?

We are talking about going underwater with a buddy or with students not sitting on a chair in an office.

Are you also suggesting that the medical people who deal with patients with mental issues know the ramification of their patients going scuba diving while taking medications? Has ANYONE tested these medications for use UNDERWATER? You think the companies that make these "drugs" will say it is OK to go scuba diving while taking their medications and they would take responsibility for it???

If you are going to be teaching my daughter, little boy or any loved one, I am going to be major f'ing cruel and will insist that you are drug free and free of any mental issues that require your taking such medications. Again, I am talking about SCUBA diving not finger painting art classes.
Burhan, that's just not in line with what we know about well-controlled mental illness and by saying this, you are contributing to a stigma that the medical profession is working hard against. We've cleared people with depression and anxiety that's well-controlled on a non-sedating medication before and will continue to do so. As @kinoons said, you're probably diving with individuals with diagnoses like this all the time.

Now, someone with schizophrenia who struggles with their medication regimen and has occasional bouts of psychosis, I'd be more concerned about. Not your everyday anxiety or depression though.

Best regards,
DDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom