Chloroquine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

donnad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm planning to take chloroquine for our trip to roatan. Husband says he probably won't take it.........he's concerned about side effects from the medication. If you've have taken it will you share your experience with side effects or lack thereof? I've read that upset stomach or headache are the most common, but some of the less common and rare side effects do sound scary so I understand his concern. Thanks in advance

I have personally never had side effects.
That being said I have gone to COCO View twice and our group included a medical professional that refused to take it due to side effects. So I assume where there is smoke there could be fire.

he's concerned about side effects from the medication.

I wonder if he will read the "possible" side effects of contracting Malaria
This is stupid, If he has spoken with a medical professional and is comfortable with the risk then so be it, it is his decision unless he is mentally incabable of making an educated decision, Afterall, it's ONLY Malaria

I tried taking it once and experienced awful side effects...not compatible with diving. We used to take anti-malarials every trip to Roatan, but the last few trips have stopped. We stay at Fantasy Island and they spray for mosquitos every morning so there is rarely a problem there. If we go out we're careful to apply repellant with DEET to avoid being bitten.

There are other anti-malarial medications that don't cause the same problems though. Whatever you decide, be aware that malaria DOES exist on Roatan, and dengue (for which there is no preventative) fever is also a significant danger.

I always take it when I travel to "at risk" areas.
I've never had any problems and feel the $3.00 co-pay is cheap insurance. Too many people think malaria is something that won't happen to them.

What was it like :confused:

Never had it myself, probably largely to do with my deet fetish, but Dengue is nicknamed breakone fever for a reason and some friends who have had it were truly miserable according to all accounts

My wife and I took it for our trip to Roatan. No side effects at all, not even upset tummy. No problems. I think it is cheap insurance against malaria. Besides you start it prior to your trip and you should be able to know if there are any side effects prior to departure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom