Chloroquine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is probably not a one size fits all answer here. It is all about the risk/benefit profile for both the individual, and the area that they will be traveling in. I did without everything when I went to China. We were in 5 star hotels and not in regions where there were pockets of disease. What I don't know is if geographic incidence data on something which is mosquito born is reliable and specific enough to make the decision clearer. Good thread, food for thought. I am headed to Indonesia and will probably step into a travel clinic before I go. Not necessarily to do everything that the CDC website mentions, but to make an informed choice.

Tremendous joint pain.
Except to crawl to the bathroom I didn't move for almost a week.
Lost 23 pounds.

Sore and fatigued for another two weeks or so after that!

Ahh, reminds me of after that weekend with Louise.

I am not sure what would be "stupid" about choosing not to take them.

I have not seen anywhere where it was suggested it was stupid not to take the drugs, what does seem quite stupid is to ask about such things on an anonymous internet forum rather than a medical professional who you can share your medical history, discuss pros, cons and options with and then make an informed decision.
Kind of like those asking what thickness wetsuit they need to bring rather than looking at water temps, number of dives, and past experience

While a great deal of non medical measures may be taken to reduce your risk, such as applying DEET, (>28% concentration), mosquito netting at night etc, it would be UNWISE to risk getting malaria in a known at risk area. This is particularly so as drug resistance is on the rise.
I can assure you that the hospital tests, admission and treatment would be far more disconcerting than the minor side effects of taking a prophylactic drug.
IN addition, while you are correct that chloroquine is not always the easiest drug to take, there are other alternatives which are far less likely to cause any problems, such as Malarone.

Having seen numerous cases of malaria, the potential severity of the illness cannot be understated, nor it's complications. It still remains a very high cause of death in underdeveloped countries, and it's diagnosis in the US is delayed by the fact that it is not often seen.

Contact your local doc or speak to the CDC. I am enclosing an outline and link below.

Malaria is one disease you do want to "bug yourself" about !.....sorry, couldn't help it. Not to do so would be like discarding your dive computer or BC when diving because they're annoying. You wouldn't do something that unsafe would you?? :no:

Now go out and do the American thing and get yourself some drugs. :)

Chapter 2 - Malaria - 2010 Yellow Book | CDC Travelers' Health

Thank you HBO MD for the recommendation and the link!!!

We just returned from Fantasy Island. My husband took the chloroquin and I took Malarone. We have taken it both times with no side effects.
Yes they do spray the beaches but most of the people we were with had lots of bites. I guess I am just not sweet enough and they leave me alone as I got none. My husband did get a lot. We decided it might come from the sheets as they hang them out to dry but who knows.
It's up to you..

In the six years I lived on Roatan I was the lucky recipient of dengue fever twice, which as I understand is not that easy to do.
I've heard that it's horrible, but you can catch it in Florida now too. :shocked2:
And taking anti-malarial medication isnt a guarantee you wont get it either.

I had a blood test recently and it had shown evidence that I had malaria in the past, even though I took the meds religiously.

I dont recall being deadly sick from it, but it was probably diagnosed as something else since it isnt common in the US.
I wonder if it still help prevent a worse case?

Hi DandyDon,
The drugs used for malaria are either suppressive, ie you can still be infected but they prevent the parasite from entering a particular stage of it's life cycle, or they kill the parasite.
The reference to the CDC site which I provided above gives a great summary of theses agents and their associated profiles.

Back
Top Bottom