Checking Mesh Gear Bag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

river_sand_bar:
You have time to grab another suitcase..... I would recommend NOT using the mesh bag that has SUCBA GEAR written all over it.

Got to Walmart and get a fairly inexpensive large suitcase for under $50 and put your mesh bag inside. You'll be happier you did.

Yeah...K-mart has nice cheap cases also! Get a nice TSA lock while you're there!

I bought a heavy duty duffle bag that was slightly bigger than my mesh dive bag. When I'm flying I place the mesh bag inside the duffle and carry on my regs in a back pack. I carry my HID, Dive computer, bottom timer and a couple of other things in a nice compact padded case. I have flown this way many times and haven't had any problems yet.

river_sand_bar:
I would recommend NOT using the mesh bag that has SUCBA GEAR written all over it.

Me either... if you're going to be a SCUBA diver, try not to buy the Thailand knock-off that got misspelled... :D

Just having a go, man.

kf6alc:
Flying to Belize next week on TACA, and wondering if it's safe to check as luggage a mesh dive bag. It's a wheeled backpack style bag, so BC, fins, etc can be visible. Anyone ever had trouble with this kind of set up, or should I put it all in a regular suitcase?

Also, should I carry on my reg? I am worried that it may be more hassle dealing with security checkpoints having it with me.

Thanks for your replies!

I have carried on my regulator on every vacation whithout any problems whatsover. My rolling cary-on contains my Regulator, dive computer, BC, prescription mask, "C" cards, misc small items like batteries for lights etc.

OK, you all have convinced me! Gonna put everything in a standard black rolling suitcase, and carry reg and 'puter. Kinda felt bad, because the mesh bag was a gift, but I'll use it for the boats. Hope all the gear dries enough, hate to see water dripping out of a suitcase at he airport, I'm sure they'll want to see inside THAT bag!

Thank you all for your sage advice, and possibly saving me $ and headaches!

KMD- we are staying at the Sunbreeze in San Pedro and it can't come soon enough!

I just got back from Belize a week ago and had no problems with gear going either way. TSA in Houston took my bags apart and made a mess spilling my spare parts and litlle items all over but nothing was missing. We always carry our regs, computers and camera gear in our carry ons during the trip to the dive destination and usually check the stuff with our checked bags for the trip home. After about 20 trips in the last few years we have never had any problems with any airline or any country visited.
Enjoy your trip ours was excellent I even got to find a Toad fish which was a first for me.

SCUBA Gear is simply not high on the "steal this first" list. It is hard to secrete while filching it, it has limited resale value. Carry computers, percscription masks and a bathing suit.

Check it.

Mesh Bags can get snagged on the conveyors. That's the reason to not use them.

I speak from experience. Many, many airports.

Here's my BLOG on the topic: http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...&MyToken=a00a2d30-a191-40e5-a6ad-11be719bd99b

Stayed at the Sunbreeze three week ago. accommodation really nice. Try these rest. in town..Caramba's; Elvi's Kitchen and Caliente's..Food very good an not expensive.
If you are diving with Aqua Dive at the Sunbreeze don't expect much...My expereince they really lack customer service and barely care about their divers. They lead you follow and you get nothing in between...If you bought a dive package from them make sure you get what you paid for as they won't take any effort to fill the contract. Most apathetic operation I have even been diving with. Hope you have better luck!

Go with Amigos Del Mar. We had a great experience with them last year. They'll pick you up at your resort's dock in the morning (don't be late, they'll be there promptly at the appointed time), they have several boats all in great shape and the hospitality was great. Be sure to do a night dive and the Blue Hole trip; after the Blue Hole dive, the wall dives at Lighthouse and Half Moon Cay are fantastic!

OK, got everything into a standard black wheelie, just like the 1000's of others at the airport, and it fits fine, 47# total (just under the 50# limit- yay!). Got my reg, swimsuit, 1 change of clothes and mask in my carry-on backpack, and my 'puter on my wrist (mosquito). Now I just have to wait 'til monday....

Thanks for all the tips, folks! This will be my second trip to AC, so I know the night dives are great, and done the Blue Hole already (may skip it this time). This trip, gonna spend the last few days inland at Cave's Branch Jungle Lodge, doing some caving (NOT cave diving, tubing!) and see some ruins... Can't wait!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom