Checking Mesh Gear Bag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kf6alc ..... Be sure to put some sorta tape or ribbon on the handles to identify your bag.

With the 1000 other black wheeled bags out there, it might get picked up by mistake. I use a luggage strap as well on mine, for 2 reasons, 1 to make sure every thing stays inside and 2 I can easily see it when it comes off the racks.

IDENTIFY your BAG!!!!!!!! And dont have fun.. Just Kidding!!!

Way to many bad experiences with airlines and luggage for me to be comfortable with a mesh bag. Broken locks, torn handles, missing handles, broken items inside, missing items inside. And that is off some rugged luggage. No thanks. I always pack for the worst. I laugh at some of the destroyed pieces of luggage that come rolling around the claim belt. Some of the things that people check in are just asking to get destroyed.
Also, theft from luggage is up since TSA won't allow locks on checked luggage. I have read several articles in the Detroit News about the jump in traveler complaints with Northwest. So there is no way I would put my expensive scuba gear in a see through mesh bag.
You might be just fine using that bag, but I think you are asking for trouble.

I always take my O2 analizer, dive computer, regs and dive cards on the plane. Everything else can end of in Tibet and I am still diving in the morning.

I'm always anxious because the suitcase I use has a ginormous "Scubapro" logo on the front, I hate how most dive cases seem to like putting huge logos on there, orginallyI had meant to get an even bigger patch with something else on it but have never gotten around to it. That said I've never had a problem with it and after the first couple times my worry quotient has gone down exponentially.

I was told to always carry my reg, once going to Egypt they had to do what was called a 'cabin check'. When I went through security they took it off of me and a security person walked with me to the gate and handed it over to one of the flight crew, who then handed it back to me as I was getting off the plane. No big whoop.

Back
Top Bottom