Cayman and Captive Dolphins? Do you agree?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Xanthro:
I've read hundreds of such sites, and quite frankly most know nothing about animals, and that ignorance harms animals.

:lol: :lol:

Sooooo... the Humane Society (the link I provided) knows NOTHING about animals, and dolphin parks are lovely.

Oh, my that was funny. Thanks for the good laugh :D

BTW, from the link

They are "voluntary breathers," conscious of every breath they take.

Completely untrue. They are not conscious for every breath. In fact, much science is devoted to how dolphins breath, because they have clear sleep cycles like all mammals have.

Current thought is that each half of the brain takes turns in deeper sleep, while the other half remains conscious enough simply to breath. Then the haves switch, so both haves get the opportunity for deep sleep.

How this affects dreaming is unknown.

Also, it's obvious they have never dealt with chickens. Really, chickens need to be "unconscious" when they are killed? Unbelievable.

Chickens eat themseleves, they eat each other. They have no idea that they are about to be dinner.

How exactly is it different for a chicken to be killed by a sharp blade, or shocked into "unconsciousness" then killed with a blade? Really you think chickens understand a sharp blade?

I've killed scores if not hundreds of chickens and eaten them. They have no idea what an axe does, though most of the time we simply snapped their necks.

Lisa0825:
:lol: :lol:

Sooooo... the Humane Society (the link I provided) known NOTHING about animals, and dolphin parks are lovely.

Oh, my that was funny. Thanks for the good laugh :D

Obviously they do not since they are wholly unaware of current theory on dolphin sleeping.

The Humane Society has an agenda, parts of which I agree with, I give them money every year. Other parts are hogwash and show a complete lack of understand of animal behavior.

BTW, the only time Dolphins do not sleep is the first month they are born, and females during the first month after they give birth.

It's interesting because most mammals will die if they do not sleep.

Xanthro:
BTW, silly tricks to entertain are educational about conservation.

You lost me there...what's educational about them?
Are you the type of person that thinks eating pasta is having an education about italian culture?

Xanthro:
Completely untrue. They are not conscious for every breath. In fact, much science is devoted to how dolphins breath, because they have clear sleep cycles like all mammals have.

Current thought is that each half of the brain takes turns in deeper sleep, while the other half remains conscious enough simply to breath. Then the haves switch, so both haves get the opportunity for deep sleep.
You have contradicted yourself here. Anyway, let me clear it up. I think you're just wording it a little oddly.

1. Dolphins are always somewhat conscious.
2. Dolphins breathe.

1+2= dolphins are conscious when breathing.

"Logging" is the geek term for sleeping dolphins. Their respiratory system is entirely voluntary. And when they sleep, only one eyeball works. That's creepy.

Xanthro:
BTW, silly tricks to entertain are educational about conservation.
Coldblue:
You lost me there...what's educational about them?
Are you the type of person that thinks eating pasta is having an education about italian culture?

In the English language we have grammatical terms such as sentences and paragraphs.

This means when sentences occur in a paragraph, the paragraph expresses or should express a complete thought.

Therefore, taking a sentence out of a paragraph means taking it out of context, and this is considered to be wrong.

I explained exactly why and even gave an example. Notice the rest of the paragraph.

Xanthro:
Connecting people wildlife equals support for wildlife. Even if it is wholly selfish such as thinking, "I want my granddaughter to one day take her child to see dolphins jump through hoops, so I want to ensure dolphins remain safe"

The point being that any connection, not just academic and educational connections equal more support for conservation.

archman:
You have contradicted yourself here. Anyway, let me clear it up. I think you're just wording it a little oddly.

1. Dolphins are always somewhat conscious.
2. Dolphins breathe.

1+2= dolphins are conscious when breathing.

"Logging" is the geek term for sleeping dolphins. Their respiratory system is entirely voluntary. And when they sleep, only one eyeball works. That's creepy.

That's because people confuse conscious with awareness.

We do not know if dolphins are aware when they sleep. The humane society was building an argument based on the postion that dolphins are always aware, because they do not sleep, and that is unsupported.

What's really creepy is that they may have two brains!!

No doubt that dolphins are very intersesting.

Xanthro, I think it's very apparent that you're trying to rationalize that you like to participate in these captive dolphin "experiences".

If you really think that in order to care whether sonar harms a Sperm whale, someone has to go pet and hug and swim with a Sperm Whale, then you are really off the deep end. Not to mention you grossly underestimate the capacity of people to understand things they have never experienced.

I think it's a cynical attitude to say that he only way people can care about something is if they cage and domesticate it. I have never petted a Sperm Whale, but you can bet it troubles me deeply that new sonar may be harmful to them.

I guess I just have more capacity for abstract thought than you do.

scvdiver:
The poll is located at the bottom right hand corner of the home page. Thank you for taking the time to vote.

So you're thanking us for voting.

Okay, what will our "vote" do other than get this web page hits.

They will do whatever makes money. People are tired of Stingrays.

They try and sell turtle products under the glaze that "they're farm raised" all the time raising a parallel demand for illicit products.

They could give a Dolphin's butt.

But it is a new topic, never heard this one before. :banghead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom