Cayman and Captive Dolphins? Do you agree?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Makin Raider

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I got an email this morning from a dive op on Grand Cayman asking for divers to voice thier opinion if the Caymans should have Captive Dolphins. I posted this in the Basic Scuba Discussions because I hope that divers in general would voice their opinion for or against.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[We] would like you to express your opinion on Captive Dolphin facilities in the Cayman Islands. None have yet to be built and there is much public debate. Your opinion will help count to a greater consensus of the opinion of residents and visitors.

http://www.caycompass.com/

The poll is located at the bottom right hand corner of the home page.

Thank you for taking the time to vote.

I guess it depends on what they mean by that term ... and exactly how "captive" these dolphins turn out to be.

My only interaction with "tourist" dolphins was at Anthony's Key Resort in Roatan ... and they have more difficulty keeping the dolphins out of the pen than in. On our dive with them, we all went out into the open ocean ... and the dolphins were the first ones back. So I would find it difficult to believe that they didn't want to be there, and were in any way being mistreated.

Dolphins are pretty smart, and I think they recognize a good gig when they get one.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I was happy to see the "no's" are winning. I am not familiar with the one in Roatan, but most dolphin programs keep dolphins in areas that are much much smaller than their natural territories. I did Dolphin Discovery in Hawaii back before I'd read any of the negatives about it. They are amazing creatures, and I understand the fascination, but I believe that most captive dolphon programs are cruel.

I voted NO. If I want to see dolphins in captivity I will go to Sea World.

Although if they were free to come and go as NWGratefulDiver descibed then that would probably be OK

AT many places, for example Hawk's Cay on Duck Key near Marathon, the dolphins were born in captivity. If they were released into the wild they may soon die as they are completely dependent on humans and no idea how to defend themselves.

Although zoos and dolphin experiences are not prefect places, I think the ends justify the means. The amount of education and awareness brought to people who might not otherwise care about the ocean, dolphins, or other critters.

Captive dolphins help with public awareness that aids both wild dolphins and other creatures.

We people get the chance to see these creatures up close and how smart they are, it helps with getting legislation passed that protects all animals.

What good does it do if all dolphins are wild and yet their habitat is destroyed?

Very interesting question. However, with that being said should any animals be held in captivity i.e ZOOS?? Like most things in life depends upon the circumstances and conditions. From what I've heard Anthony's key does a pretty good job with their dolphins.

In conclusion, my only objection to keeping dolphins in a cage would depend upon the size of the enclosure and the care given to them. In the Anthony's key situation the dolphins could head to open ocean if they so desire and I see nothing wrong with that situation. I would have a problem with it if dolphins were not cared for properly and didn't have a large enclosure. In most cases I would say it's not fair to the dolphins but if a facility is willing to go beyond and above then I have no problem with it.

The public awareness argument holds no water for me. Captive dolphin programs are completely wrong. They're designed so a bunch of lazy tourists can interact with dolphins without having to actually go diving and wait to encounter them in the wild.

Do you really think for one second that anyone interacts with these dolphins and stops supporting the fishing industry that kills so many dolphins?? Not on your life. Some people already care enough to try to protect the dolphins, but for most, the encounter is not going to change the fact that they are lazy and can't be bothered to change their habits if it means inconvenience or price increases.

People who just don't give a damn about dolphins also don't give a damn about interacting with them, so there's no way they're going to be educated to stop destrying the environment. I see no benefit other than profits for some seedy company exploiting natural resources. The argument of education is just a rationalization.

Look at how lazy America is in terms of the environment...SUVs, relaxed pollution regulations, a basic unwillingness to inact any laws that get in the way of them doing exactly what they want, when they want, for as little money as possible. A swim with dolphins is not going to change that apathy. It's just going to be another easy, selfish activity they participated in on their vacation.

My opinion...

I tend to think that most people who think it's just fine don't realize or possibly believe the negative side of it... or maybe just don't care since they are "just" animals.

http://www.inkokomo.com/dolphin/captivity.html
Is it cool to see dolphins at the zoo?
CONSIDER THESE FACTS:
53% of those dolphins who survive the violent capture die within 90 days.

The average life span of a dolphin in the wild is 45 years; yet half of all captured dolphins die within their first two years of captivity. The survivors last an average of only 5 years in captivity.

Every seven years, half of all dolphins in captivity die from capture shock, pneumonia, intestinal disease, ulcers, chlorine poisoning, and other stress-related illnesses. To the captive dolphin industry, these facts are accepted as routine operating expenses.

In many tanks the water is full of chemicals as well as bacteria, causing many health problems in dolphins including blindness.

When a baby dolphin is born in captivity, the news is usually kept secret until the calf shows signs of survival. Although marine mammals do breed in captivity, the birth rate is not nearly as successful as the one in the wild, with high infant mortality rates.

Wild dolphins can swim 40 to 100 miles per day - in pools they go around in circles.

Many marine parks subject their mammals to hunger so they will perform for their food. Jumping through hoops, tailwalking and playing ball are trained behaviors that do not occur in the wild.

Confined animals who abuse themselves (banging their heads against the walls) are creating stimuli which their environment cannot supply. Dolphins in captivity tend to develop stereotypical behaviors (swimming in a repetitive circle pattern, with eyes closed and in silence) because of boredom and confinement. This is equivalent to the swaying and pacing of primates, lions, tigers and bears confined in cages.

Dolphins are predators of fish and spend up to half of their time in the wild hunting for food. Supplying dead fish results in less exercise and lack of mental stimulation, thus causing boredom.

When trapped together, males often become agitated and domineering. This creates pecking orders (unknown in the wild) and unprovoked attacks on each other and the trainers. In the ocean, although fights are not unknown, the wild dolphins have a chance to escape.

More:

http://www.dolphinawareness.org/
http://www.greatdreams.com/eeyore/dolphins.htm

http://www.dolphin-connection.org/information/captive.htm
Captive Born

A high percentage of captive born dolphins are stillbirths or premature.

Captive born dolphins rarely lives to reach puberty.

Dolphins born in captivity are often taken from their mothers. They sometimes kill their own babies. This is maladapted behavior.

Back
Top Bottom