Can You 'Really' Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't read all the posts on this thread but your original premise is so offensive and elitist to make me pretty sure I'd never want to dive with you.

J

Three points:
  1. This thread was moved out of a regional forum
  2. You'll never know what you're missing
  3. She will have more time to dive with me

Man, this brought people out of the woodwork. ....
Like someone said.....if the shoe fits.

Looks like Skuba_Girl hasn't posted in quite a while (unless she assumed another identity).
I imagine she feels pretty low, and I am sure she wishes she could re-phrase her original post. I hope we havent lost her.

Looks like Skuba_Girl hasn't posted in quite a while (unless she assumed another identity).
I imagine she feels pretty low, and I am sure she wishes she could re-phrase her original post. I hope we havent lost her.

Your assuming all of those were 'her' words to begin with.....

There is more drama to this thread than meets the eye... and frankly, it really needs to be closed...

There is more drama to this thread than meets the eye... and frankly, it really needs to be closed...

Posting this just adds to the drama... no?

HALFAIL.gif

Is she a real diver? I think so. She has physical limitations ... but what she lacks in strength she more than makes up in determination and effort. Besides, she's fun to dive with ... that huge smile and all her enthusiasm is downright contagious. And to my concern, a real diver is someone who remembers why they got into diving in the first place ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Amen again. Anyone who wants to know what "real" diving is need only participate in the Wounded Warrior diving program. Those men and women, though they might need quite a bit of extra assistance, will show you what real diving is all about. Even if one doesn't consider it real diving, one cannot escape coming away with a better understanding of what real courage is. Diving, for me, is a way of searching for truths, and one of them is there is much more to life than being considered "real".

Posting this just adds to the drama... no?

Perhaps... But I'm also not going to stay silent with this endless barrage of dog pile...

I missed this diatribe first pass but it shoiuld have been titled are you a real pack mule or are you fit to dive. There are a good many real divers enjoying the sport with accomodations.

Hello everyone! The few that know me know I'm a lurker here. I also have a butt load of dives (and I'm an instructor) so occasionally I feel strong enough about a subject where I have a "NEED" to post.

That being said...

Are you a vacation diver? Do you 'expect' someone to carry all of your gear...babysit you underwater (not just be a buddy), are you just not sure of normal boat ettiqutte, does your car/suv/truck smell like anything other than moldy scuba gear?

Ok....IF you answered YES to any of the above...you have no business putting yourself on a boat 'assuming' someone will take care of you. Unless you have paid (dearly) to a licensed DM for personal assistance DO NOT go on a charter assuming your buddy will do all of this for you. Sure, I've done it...and will do it on occasion for a regular dive buddy, who I know does not expect it from me or anyone else, just being nice.

IF you are not experienced enough(be honest with yourself..or ask me..I'm not shy..I'll tell you straight up), have ongoing health issues, or are for whatever reason you feel 'dependent' on others for you to have a good dive...the best possible solution would be for you to ONLY dive on larger boats, and hire a DM for your personal assistance. Your friends DO NOT want to carry your gear (yes ladies that means you too) They are there to enjoy diving..not spend their day worried about if YOU can finish the dive...or the day.

So...before you go diving...
After your gear check...
ask yourself...

-Can I haul my gear ALONE to the charter(tanks included)? Back to your car after the dive?
-Can I haul my butt out of the water alone if the conditions get ugly (or even if they are mild)?
-Could I rescue myself?
-Will my buddy feel safe with me as their buddy?
-Would you feel good about yourself putting someone elses life at risk just because you are too dependent?

If you could not answer ALL of the questions with YES, then you need to rethink any diving without being under the direct supervision of a paid DM or INSTRUCTOR. (no solicitation implied)

Your friends and associates are not there to hold your hand. They had to do it themselves...so should you.

You could very possibly be ruining someones fun insuring your own.

Haha, Actually, having read that, I find it amazingly funny. I think I'll laugh for the next two days!

Perhaps... But I'm also not going to stay silent with this endless barrage of dog pile...

As most know, I have welcomed the odd dog pile however that is not what this is right now. I have in fact kept out of this thread more than I normally would have (most my posts likely would have been edited or deleted anyways :D). When someone posts something as controversial as the OP did - this is a nice way of saying it for some - a barrage of conflicting posts is sure to follow.

While there may have been a pile at some point near the beginning, this is just people and posts that strongly disagree (or agree with) with "her" words. Closing the thread? We would all get along just fine if it was but it would not change the fact that the post was put up in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom