Can You 'Really' Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I first read this thread I felt so hurt and betrayed. But now after reading the replies I feel much better. You see, I was certified 2 yrs ago and don't have alot of experience because I've been unable to find a dive buddy. I also suffer from rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia,(I'm in my middle 40's) but I refuse to let my medical condition control me. I try REALLY HARD to carry my own "weight". But I do need more assistant than most. That's why I'm willing to carpool and drive and pay for the gas. I figure that's worth something. Or maybe I can buy you luch or dinner or drinks. It doesn't matter. I will show my gratitude. I don't expect "something" for "nothing".

If I end up in Tampa area at any time on business I'll make sure to find you (and others) here on SB so we can do some diving. I don't mind helping. Mu wife has fibromyalgia and CFS so I somewhat understand. When I travel I need a diving buddy :)

Well, i'm relatively new to diving and can carry my gear. My problem is that I can't afford all the gear I want.

....so if the OP would donate some money to my cause, I can promise i will carry it back and forth to the car and boat.
I.O.U.'s they are as good as money. deal?

I think the OP is referring to the diving version of the women (usually, though not always) who get on airplanes with a carry-on they can't hope to put up into the overhead compartment by themselves that should be checked luggage. Then they look around for help.

Lets just forget about divers for the moment.

When have you ever seen someone fresh out of school / university / whatever educational institution that has the ability to handle all but the simplest situations.

New divers like everyone else need time to develop on the basics they have been taught in OW, and hopefully the more learned divers out there help them where possible.

If you have to work everything out for yourself takes much much longer than if someone can suggest better ways to achieve your goal.

Lets just forget about divers for the moment.

When have you ever seen someone fresh out of school / university / whatever educational institution that has the ability to handle all but the simplest situations.

New divers like everyone else need time to develop on the basics they have been taught in OW, and hopefully the more learned divers out there help them where possible.

If you have to work everything out for yourself takes much much longer than if someone can suggest better ways to achieve your goal.

I agree that anyone new can benefit from the guidance of those more experienced. But to use your analogy, if I took a course at school say in auto mechanics and graduated (proof of my acquiring a predetermined and finite level of knowledge), was hired on this basis, but it was later found that I didn't have the necessary foundation to work as an apprentice (requiring the mechanics to teach me what I was already expected to know). Would it be reasonable for the new employee to expect this?

I think that UsryTregre's comments are valid. If she asked to go diving with me as a Dive Operator, I personally would have no problem helping her without additional charge. I wouldn't do this in hopes of a "good tip," rather because she wanted to go diving, told me up front what the situation was, so I'd do my best to insure her safety and make the trip as enjoyable as possible.

On the other hand, I would be upset if four or five people on the boat expected extra help as a result of poor training or health problems that they didn't disclose. If they had made the disclosure before the dive, I would turn-away those whom I couldn't safely accommodate. I'd apologize and explain the situation and hope to reschedule them.

For me (as I've already mentioned), it's about managing expectations. If I pay $300 for a VIP dive, I expect to get what I pay for. If I pay $150, I also will want to get what I pay for and won't be surprised if the services provided are less than the $300 package.

Personally, I don't certify anyone who can't look after themselves in a safe manner. I have spent a fair amount of effort donating my time to giving SCUBA introductions to blind children; but I wouldn't certify one unless s/he could meet the standards; in-fact surpassing these to my satisfaction. I no longer teach recreational diving for profit (I teach in a Club setting for free). Even when I did my courses were twice the duration as was required by standards. I taught longer courses because I felt it was necessary for the safety of the students. Too many LDSs are rolling out poorly trained students for profit. They are dropped on DO's, DMs and Instructors when they want to go diving. It is not a matter of a competent diver needing assistance or extra experience that's the real problem...

I think this also goes back to our expectations of a dive op. Those are pretty much set by location.

Here (NY) you buy your place on a boat. Basically, you're buying transportation, tanks, and dive flag to the dive site. By and large, the dive op doesn't assemble your gear for you. Some provide the underwater tour guide and some don't. You generally are responsible for dragging your own gear onto the boat as well. It varies from dive op to dive op - but from what I've seen, the dive op is generally there to assist in any way they can....but you, the diver, are responsible for your dive and gear. And I had the same experiences in Florida, Texas, and California.

Now, take that to some exotic dive destination and the rules change. For example, in Mexico, I never have to touch my gear if I choose not to. They take it, tank it, weight me, push me off the boat, make sure I'm good to dive, and drag my sorry butt back on the boat at the end of the dive and then prep my gear for the next dive.

If the OP was working with folks that only do dive destination - then I can understand her chagrin when she had/has to babysit. Perhaps the divers didn't know that they were in charge of their own dive and gear.

However, she is an instructor with a boat load of dives. Explaining the rules of the dive op would have been a much better option, IMHO. However, if she was in the instructor mode then she or her DM are there to instruct, assist, and guide. Again, explaining the rules of the dive goes a long way toward peoples expectations.

I go back to one of my other posts and say if you ain't having fun, it's time to find something else fun to do. I was a instructor (not diving) and loved my position. But there came a time that I know it was my time to fly. It happens.

YMMV.

I think the OP is referring to the diving version of the women (usually, though not always) who get on airplanes with a carry-on they can't hope to put up into the overhead compartment by themselves that should be checked luggage. Then they look around for help.

So what's wrong with helping people out once in a while?

One of the people I go on most of my dive trips with is someone I met back when I was DM'ing for a dive shop. At the time she had just completed chemotherapy, and decided to treat herself to diving lessons as a reward for surviving cancer. Her body wasn't strong ... but her will to learn how to dive was. She'd push herself harder than either I or her instructor would dare to. Of course I helped her with her gear. It was my pleasure to do so. This lady had grit.

Been nearly seven years now, and we still dive together. Her body's never completely recovered its former strength, but her enthusiasm for diving is at least as great as my own ... and underwater, with all the weight of that gear off her back, she's a fish. She's quite the good diver, and can make her tank last way longer than I can.

Is she a real diver? I think so. She has physical limitations ... but what she lacks in strength she more than makes up in determination and effort. Besides, she's fun to dive with ... that huge smile and all her enthusiasm is downright contagious. And to my concern, a real diver is someone who remembers why they got into diving in the first place ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

So what's wrong with helping people out once in a while?

One of the people I go on most of my dive trips with is someone I met back when I was DM'ing for a dive shop. At the time she had just completed chemotherapy, and decided to treat herself to diving lessons as a reward for surviving cancer. Her body wasn't strong ... but her will to learn how to dive was. She'd push herself harder than either I or her instructor would dare to. Of course I helped her with her gear. It was my pleasure to do so. This lady had grit.

Been nearly seven years now, and we still dive together. Her body's never completely recovered its former strength, but her enthusiasm for diving is at least as great as my own ... and underwater, with all the weight of that gear off her back, she's a fish. She's quite the good diver, and can make her tank last way longer than I can.

Is she a real diver? I think so. She has physical limitations ... but what she lacks in strength she more than makes up in determination and effort. Besides, she's fun to dive with ... that huge smile and all her enthusiasm is downright contagious. And to my concern, a real diver is someone who remembers why they got into diving in the first place ...
... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Amen! THAT is what diving is all about, not a macho, "I'm a better diver than..., because I....", thing. My opinion only, of course.

Amen! THAT is what diving is all about, not a macho, "I'm a better diver than..., because I....", thing. My opinion only, of course.

No Jim....many of us agree with you. I just hope that we out number the "others".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom