Can we go to Coz yet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last several times I did the bag drag earlier this year (pre covid) in playa Ultramar had a separate parralle que for 'first class' that they let through first then everyone else

It's good to hear that they are actually providing the service that they sell. Did you use it? Was many in that line? Was there any baggage service provided?

I know this question has been asked, but I can't find it when I search the Cozumel forum.

Can I bring packaged, raw meat in a checked cooler to Cancun? Thanks in advance.

It's good to hear that they are actually providing the service that they sell. Did you use it? Was many in that line? Was there any baggage service provided?

There is a first class section on Ultramar, I don’t recall seeing one on Winjet but I usually take Ultramar when the schedule is running normal. There is a separate que line normally For Ultramar but with the way things have been rearranged at both docks, it might not be there anymore - buy the ticket and bypass the line like you own the place, confirm it with some up at the loading area - worse that’ll happen is you get stuck in line with all the peasants!!

There is a first class section on Ultramar, I don’t recall seeing one on Winjet but I usually take Ultramar when the schedule is running normal. There is a separate que line normally For Ultramar but with the way things have been rearranged at both docks, it might not be there anymore - buy the ticket and bypass the line like you own the place, confirm it with some up at the loading area - worse that’ll happen is you get stuck in line with all the peasants!!

Hey, isn't that how we got the rep as ugly americans? Lol. We've bought FC twice. First time was seated in a small room with a few table booths and a waiter for drinks. That's all we saw of FC but maybe worthwhile just for that. Second time we were directed to a small area with crappier seats and small tables and no wait service. After discussions in other threads, seems there is a larger and nicer FC area that we were not directed to.

What I'd like most is better baggage handling. That's the worst part of the experience especially on the Playa side. The cart guys don't take it all the way to the boat, you have to drag the bags upstairs then it can be a long walk if the boat is at the outer end of dock. Then everyone piles around for baggage unloading and you're scanning and praying to spot your bags and make sure someone doesn't make off with them.

I know this question has been asked, but I can't find it when I search the Cozumel forum.

Can I bring packaged, raw meat in a checked cooler to Cancun? Thanks in advance.
From the US? Nope, no way. Too much risk of disease transmission and not enough demand to support a Mexican agency to oversee imports of meat. What is it you're not finding in Cozumel that is worth paying for an extra bag?

Hey, isn't that how we got the rep as ugly americans? Lol. We've bought FC twice. First time was seated in a small room with a few table booths and a waiter for drinks. That's all we saw of FC but maybe worthwhile just for that. Second time we were directed to a small area with crappier seats and small tables and no wait service. After discussions in other threads, seems there is a larger and nicer FC area that we were not directed to.

What I'd like most is better baggage handling. That's the worst part of the experience especially on the Playa side. The cart guys don't take it all the way to the boat, you have to drag the bags upstairs then it can be a long walk if the boat is at the outer end of dock. Then everyone piles around for baggage unloading and you're scanning and praying to spot your bags and make sure someone doesn't make off with them.

I'm only talking about Ultramar and the "normal" boats they use but I seen a small FC section in the back of the main cabin and a set of stairs going up one level to some mystery area - I've seen maybe 10 people total in FC in all my trips - it is a great thought though to beat a potentially full boat. I just wonder if they've eliminated those areas because of the capacity limitations but of course they'll still sell you tickets!!!

From the US? Nope, no way. Too much risk of disease transmission and not enough demand to support a Mexican agency to oversee imports of meat. What is it you're not finding in Cozumel that is worth paying for an extra bag?

We like to bring nice steaks when we travel. Because of my wife's status, we each have two bags for free.

We like to bring nice steaks when we travel. Because of my wife's status, we each have two bags for free.

is it that hard to buy a steak in Mexico?

I know some countries don't use the same cuts of meat as we do (try to find a porterhouse in Pakistan) but I would think the Mexicans would be up on American cuts.

I can't really talk. I've traveled with a tube of liverwurst in my carry-on. You definitely can't get liverwurst in Mexico.

is it that hard to buy a steak in Mexico?

I know some countries don't use the same cuts of meat as we do (try to find a porterhouse in Pakistan) but I would think the Mexicans would be up on American cuts.

I can't really talk. I've traveled with a tube of liverwurst in my carry-on. You definitely can't get liverwurst in Mexico.

Getting steak is easy at the Mega. Getting a nice, prime, inch thick ribeye might not be that easy, though. We also carry coffee, Trader Joe's all natural peanut butter and snacks with us, too. Filling a cooler bag with those items and some great steaks would be preferred, though.

Hey thanks for the warm welcome guys. DandyDon - I think I check most of your boxes, but thanks for this:
And do hire a private DM for the first 2-tank trip. Money well spent.
I hadn't thought of that and now I'm totally going to do it. I feel really comfortable in warm water diving, but I still hate the idea of affecting other divers' experience because of my own lack of experience. This seems like a no-brainer. Is it $50-ish bucks/day still?

I've traipsed all over Mexico many times and appreciate the differences (and the food). I'm a low-maintenance traveller. It's too bad I'll miss you, P-Dog! Hope you have a great time as well. I can't wait to get out of my quarantine bubble.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom