Can we go to Coz yet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wildbill9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
(Yes I see the other post but when I looked at the recent replies they were about insurance) Airlines show flights, June 19th thru 27th, Blue Angel taking reservations. From what I can find on the web the island reopens June 1st but it would be comforting to get 1st hand info. What about restaurant? Thanks!

As of about 10 days ago it was kinda sort of hoping to be around June 8 - 10th. The Governor is in charge provided some unannounced metrics are met but the mayor's of the individual cities and it sounds like some federal agencies are also involved in the desision. This is for 'tourism' but I have not heard who and when the desision for access to the ocean and or marine park will be made and by whom. Since then not a lot of info that I can find on the internet or Mexico news.

As of right this moment:

Mexico is using this "stop light" thing to determine what can be opened, colors red, orange, yellow and green. Today was the first and only time I've heard referance to how they determine colors - something to do with cases per population and hospital beds - I've only heard that once so I take that into consideration.

Right now Q Roo is in red, the expect us to be orange on June 1st - Orange allows opening locally at a 30% rate - barbers, restaruants (still take out only I believe) and generally everyone. This time is to be used to prepare for when we change to yellow, staff is to be cleaning and prepping for tourism. The ocean is NOT open. There hasn't been anything said about what if any the curfew will be or if there will still be restricted travel (curfew now is 6pm and travel supposedly restricted)

They anticipate us to be yellow on June 8th which will allow reduced tourism. There hasn't been any clean definition of what that is - I'd guess reduced rates of service but wouldn't guess anything beyond that. We have heard the ocean WILL be open then.

A few points - watch where you get your information. Tourism groups have announced this and that, Xacarat has a letter out saying they are open on the 15th - until you see an announcement from the Governor, it just isn't real. Friday night at 10pm and nobody I know has officially heard that on June 1st I can get a burger at Hooter's, it's just how things operate here. I have an opinion that by some Mayan miracle, June 8th, we will be officially yellow and open but I really haven't heard how that is going to effect diving - there were rumors of 2 customers on a 6 passenger boat but again those are just rumors.

I know everyone wants to be the first one back in the water and it's easy fro me to say let this shake out for a few weeks, see how things progress, three or four weeks after they slightly open the place will tell us a lot of how things will be.

Everyone has their favorite dive shop, get in contact with them, see how they are going to handle things. I know people that run tours and people that own apartments, a few of them are not planning on opening up right away - check with your dive shop and see what they are planning to do.

Edit: I just seen where the governor said beaches would be open at the orange level, 30% capacity - does that mean diving??? I dunno but I’m putting my shore dive stuff together

As of right this moment:

Mexico is using this "stop light" thing to determine what can be opened, colors red, orange, yellow and green. Today was the first and only time I've heard referance to how they determine colors - something to do with cases per population and hospital beds - I've only heard that once so I take that into consideration.

Right now Q Roo is in red, the expect us to be orange on June 1st - Orange allows opening locally at a 30% rate - barbers, restaruants (still take out only I believe) and generally everyone. This time is to be used to prepare for when we change to yellow, staff is to be cleaning and prepping for tourism. The ocean is NOT open. There hasn't been anything said about what if any the curfew will be or if there will still be restricted travel (curfew now is 6pm and travel supposedly restricted)

They anticipate us to be yellow on June 8th which will allow reduced tourism. There hasn't been any clean definition of what that is - I'd guess reduced rates of service but wouldn't guess anything beyond that. We have heard the ocean WILL be open then.

A few points - watch where you get your information. Tourism groups have announced this and that, Xacarat has a letter out saying they are open on the 15th - until you see an announcement from the Governor, it just isn't real. Friday night at 10pm and nobody I know has officially heard that on June 1st I can get a burger at Hooter's, it's just how things operate here. I have an opinion that by some Mayan miracle, June 8th, we will be officially yellow and open but I really haven't heard how that is going to effect diving - there were rumors of 2 customers on a 6 passenger boat but again those are just rumors.

I know everyone wants to be the first one back in the water and it's easy fro me to say let this shake out for a few weeks, see how things progress, three or four weeks after they slightly open the place will tell us a lot of how things will be.

Everyone has their favorite dive shop, get in contact with them, see how they are going to handle things. I know people that run tours and people that own apartments, a few of them are not planning on opening up right away - check with your dive shop and see what they are planning to do.

Here is their red light/green light map. It's become much more pessimistic:

Apart from one state, all of Mexico is painted red on new 'stoplight' map

I don't think "Going" is the problem. What you will find is another story.

Curfews, restaurants take out ony, ocean closed/open???

They seem to change there mind often!

If Cruise ships happen in Aug, IF CDC allows, I think that would be a safe bet that things are open. Now would i get in a enclosed aircraft with 100 others is another story.

Here is their red light/green light map. It's become much more pessimistic:

Apart from one state, all of Mexico is painted red on new 'stoplight' map

One thing I will add, back in mid May when that color coded map came out, during the presidents speech, he said something to the effect that the state governors could do their own thing, not follow the federal map, and they wouldn’t be sanctioned.

There’s two other federal people weighing in on stuff, a guy that I think is in charge of the health stuff - doesn’t seem like he is doing much. Then the other day this women from the health ministry or something said she had to sign off on any changes - very confusing.

So is this from actual experience or just your opinion?

Given that it is May 2020, are you really asking if I have actual experience from June 2020? Of course it is my opinion. There are too many unknown variables and I think it would be risky to plan a trip even for August.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom