• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Can we go to Coz yet?

Discussion in 'Cozumel' started by wildbill9, May 29, 2020.

1. gopbroek

gopbroek Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Many of the downtown restaurants were open as of last week.

2. ChuckP

ChuckP Manta Ray

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    This is hard for me because I live here and these folks are my friends - doesn't matter if everyone was busy or not, it's so hard to pick one over another.

I've never stayed at Barracuda and had never even been to the bar downstairs till last week for a memorial gathering - I mentioned them because you spoke about a place to sit back and relax after diving. Their outside area, the restaraunts and bars literally downstairs and the closeness to downtown - seems like that fits. Casa Del Mar is nicer maybe, has a great outdoor area, shore diving but just not much else around it open at this time. Hotel Cozumel is mid road, similar in that not much variety and stuck with house dive op.

Dive Ops - this is hard. I love Blue Project, they are not like family, they are family, we've become very close with them and they do a fantastic job. Blue XTsea is another, Christi contributes a lot here but virtually never self serving, her dive masters are fantastic.

mcpowell and Redfoot like this.
  3. P-Dog

P-Dog Nassau Grouper

Thank you, Chuck. I appreciate your help.

ChuckP likes this.
  4. keepdivin

keepdivin Angel Fish

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Hi P-Dog,

You might want to consider Hotel Cozumel if you were planning on Scuba Club.

It's beach club is located right next door to scuba club. It offers shore diving, beach area, lockers and rinse tank located right at the pier. Dive Paradise is the on site dive Op but they do allow other ops to pick you up from the pier. Not sure if they are allowing solo shore diving at this time, but you should be able to find another diver to pair up with. The hotel is located across the street and has the largest pool on the island. Take a look at there website for pictures of the beach area and Hotel pool area.

They offer a nightly rate with breakfast or an all inclusive package that sometimes is only a few dollars more. Your only 10- 15 minute walk into town so we usually have a few dinners and lunch at a few local restaurants.

Enjoy your trip,
    Keepdivin

Redfoot likes this.
  5. ggunn

ggunn ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

I recommend Blue Angel; it checks all your boxes.

Mattom likes this.
  6. flyboy08

flyboy08 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

If you select Hotel Cozumel, only buy the breakfast...lunch and dinner, when we stayed there, was horrendous...thankfully we only purchased the breakfast....the dive ops were ok.

tridacna likes this.
  7. ReefHound

ReefHound PADI Pro

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Stayed there many times. It's a bit cheaper than Casa Mexicana and rooms are small and plain. It's all about the location. You're right on the water, close to town, across street from Mega/Soriano.

P-Dog and ChuckP like this.
  8. tridacna

tridacna ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Rooms are LOW end too. Not my favorite resort. I’d give it a wide berth. BA & Aldora much better choices.

9. P-Dog

P-Dog Nassau Grouper

I'm leaning towards Blue Angel, Barracuda, or Aldora. Depending on price, it'll probably be Blue Angel. Seems like the best fit. :)

Does anyone know if the ferry is running from Cancun? Flight prices are way cheaper into Cancun than Cozumel. Plus, there are many more flights into Cancun.

10. gopbroek

gopbroek Solo Diver

The ferry is running between Playa del Carmen and Cozumel. There is no such thing as a Cancun Cozumel ferry. As of last week there were about 5 trips a day. Check either Winjet or Ultramar's schedule. They are running the same schedule on alternate days. Bus from Airport to PDC is about $10 USD each and a private van around $50