Calling All Mac Users!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi

For what it's worth I forwarded a link to this thread as well as Mark's website to the President of Oceanic/Aeris. I will let you know what the response is.

Happy New Year

Paul

LAJim:
Mac users *on average* (and I don't mean to offend anyone) are more into "gizmos" than PC users.

Like a shinny object to a fish:shocked: I myself, need therapy for my gadget addiction... but that's another thread.

LAJim:
The reasons include the high percentage of Apple users at Universities as well as pro application support for video editing, audio mixing, etc. Thus, a Mac user, at least a power user, would inherently be attracted to a dive computer with download capability even if they were solidly in the recreational/resort diving category. Mac users are used to hooking up their iPods, video cameras, etc. and they would have a low barrier to connecting a dive computer.

Plug-n-Play is the Mac way and don't think i haven't been wondering what technology the D9 transmits with. Could this also be used instead of the USB connection.

----i gotta get me one of those fancy signatures next

I'm told its not bluetooth. Probably a standard data format on another frequency. I see where you're going with this but it could be a time-consuming hack.

Jim

OK - I've borrowed a UWATEC Smart TEC to dive in Weck Alley San Diego tomorrow. Next step is to find a USB IR plug-in for the MAC. Actually I think the MAC side should be OK because of the USB standard. If I can find that little gizmo (and face it IR is on the way out - being replaced by Bluetooth) then I should be in business. Joint research project with Bill at Hollywood Divers.

Jim

-hh:
Same here - - very satisfied with the Sensus, since it had a significantly larger memory than what my Suunto dive computer offered (something like 100 hours vs 30), plus it was actually cheaper too.

Since this is AFAIC a better product, I don't particularly care that Suunto's not interested in supporting the Mac.

BTW, Les Wilk has just announced a 'supercede' to the Sensus Pro -- the Sensus Ultra. His webpage is claiming 2000 hours @ 10sec sampling intervals (yes, also faster than the Suunto's), and I've asked him offline if this is a typographical error...I suspect that it might be "merely" (!) 200 hours @ 10sec.

http://reefnet.ca/products/sensus/

EDIT: Update - its not a typo!

I've just had an offline chat with Kris Wilk - - turns out that what I thought was a typographical error isn't an error afterall. Wow.

Their specifications still aren't 100.00% final, but the memory runtime is expected to be close to TWO THOUSAND (2,000) hours at 10sec interval, which would also be able to be 200 hours @ 1sec sampling.

-hh

not that amazing.. The cochran DDRs do 450Hrs at 1 sec sampling thats over 2 times the available data.. ANalyst isn't mac compatible though..

To really analyze your profiles the 1 second sampling is necessary.. the 10 sec is just good for the overallshape of the profile..

I've been in the Windows camp for a very, very long time, and let me tell you with the quality of the programs coming out of both independents and the dive computer makers you aren't really missing much. These programs are clumsy at best, unstable at worst.

Lets face it the companies that make dive computers are not software companies, if they have a program its simply to be competitive with other companies. I have never seen one of the mags actually do a review of the dive computers and the software, so why should they.

Writing good software is actually very hard, no offense to the indepents out there, but they look like they were written by a couple of guys that do everything, including testing. Having written software, I can tell you that good software requires lots of testing and good design work up front.

To those that want the stuff written in Java, a bit of a reality check here. Most of the work is in the UI and Windows, Mac and Linux all have very different UI demands in order to work right.

For those waiting on an SDK, assuming they release one from Suunto, I would expect that they would provide a set of calls you can make in an API format, not the protocol used by the interface. Which means it will probably still only work with Windows.

As to why the dive computer makers don't open up their protocols, to a large extent its probably the US Lawyer problem, which I understand has been exported to the EU. They are all likely worried about getting a law suit if something went wrong. I think that's why China won't let the US ship stuff into China, there might be a lawyer or two in a shipment and you know how rapidly they multiply.

Sorry to the lawyers in the crowd, I have a low temptation threshold.

RPanick:
...I think that's why China won't let the US ship stuff into China, there might be a lawyer or two in a shipment and you know how rapidly they multiply.

Sorry to the lawyers in the crowd, I have a low temptation threshold.

Yeah, well, it's only the 99% of lawyers that are mean that give the rest a bad name.

I have had a series of macs all the way back to when they weren't actually macs-- started with an Apple II+. Presently using an eMac, and have zero inclination to shift to windows.

Just purchased a Suunto Mosquito. Can't believe the stupid serial cable. Get with the times Suunto!

Robtjm:
Just purchased a Suunto Mosquito. Can't believe the stupid serial cable. Get with the times Suunto!

Almost a year ago Suunto started shipping USB cables. Many dive stores still have the older units in stock with serial cables. If you look around you can find the USB ones, or just order a USB replacement cable (for $100....).

-Mark

Back
Top Bottom