Suunto Eon Steel Review (post 30 dives)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’ve not yet found it to be restrictive

So, you're always getting out because of running low on gas or just being tired/done and ready to get out, not because of your NDL remaining?

I mean, if you have gas left and are getting out based on how much NDL you have left, then isn't that exactly what would be meant by "being restricted by the algorithm"?

In other words, you have always gotten out for some other reason than "I had X minutes left of NDL, so I got out"?

Here's why the lockout thing is a bad idea.

For ease of illustration, let's use VPM since it's easy to see conservatism. So you normally plan VPM+4 because you're a bit overweight, the water is cold, at the end of a long dive you're a bit dehydrated.

Let's say you're doing a nice smooth deco dive. All of a sudden you have a suit flood and all of a sudden what was a nice warm drysuit is slowly cooling you down. And maybe you get a regulator free-flow on your deco gas. All of a sudden you're in potentially some serious trouble. On a computer like the Petrel, you can switch to say, VPM+1 and it will recalculate. I guarantee that depending on the profile, that change will cause you to blow a deco stop for 3 minutes somewhere.

With a computer that locks out, now you're running gauge mode, on a table that isn't inline with your decompression schedule. Now you either run the risk of either running the entire deco schedule on a lost-gas profile with a flooded drysuit increasing the chance of getting bent. OR, you have a computer that is continuing to calculate proper deco, although at a less conservative level, getting you out of the water faster.

It's definitely a choice, but I don't want a computer that takes that choice away from you. That's what happens when you dive a computer that will lock you out.

We could dream up hypothetical situations all day long, but at the end of the day, it is far safer to have a piece of gear that gives you reliable information so that you can make an informed choice, than a computer that leaves you to your own devices.

Here's why the lockout thing is a bad idea.

For ease of illustration, let's use VPM since it's easy to see conservatism. So you normally plan VPM+4 because you're a bit overweight, the water is cold, at the end of a long dive you're a bit dehydrated.

Let's say you're doing a nice smooth deco dive. All of a sudden you have a suit flood and all of a sudden what was a nice warm drysuit is slowly cooling you down. And maybe you get a regulator free-flow on your deco gas. All of a sudden you're in potentially some serious trouble. On a computer like the Petrel, you can switch to say, VPM+1 and it will recalculate. I guarantee that depending on the profile, that change will cause you to blow a deco stop for 3 minutes somewhere.

With a computer that locks out, now you're running gauge mode, on a table that isn't inline with your decompression schedule. Now you either run the risk of either running the entire deco schedule on a lost-gas profile with a flooded drysuit increasing the chance of getting bent. OR, you have a computer that is continuing to calculate proper deco, although at a less conservative level, getting you out of the water faster.

It's definitely a choice, but I don't want a computer that takes that choice away from you. That's what happens when you dive a computer that will lock you out.

We could dream up hypothetical situations all day long, but at the end of the day, it is far safer to have a piece of gear that gives you reliable information so that you can make an informed choice, than a computer that leaves you to your own devices.

maybe we're talking at different purposes. The Eon won't lock you out during a dive. It will get you to the surface. But because you've blown your stops it won't let you dive for 48 hrs. Now in all the situations you've described would you want to jump back in after blowing all your decos? Maybe 48hrs is too much I don't know. Personally after busting my stops to get to the surface I'd be happy to sit out the dives rather than taking a trip to the chamber

---------- Post added August 14th, 2015 at 02:11 AM ----------

So, you're always getting out because of running low on gas or just being tired/done and ready to get out, not because of your NDL remaining?

I mean, if you have gas left and are getting out based on how much NDL you have left, then isn't that exactly what would be meant by "being restricted by the algorithm"?

In other words, you have always gotten out for some other reason than "I had X minutes left of NDL, so I got out"?

what I meant was that it isn't more conservative than other comps on the same boat like some PDC's are. Indeed when I first got it I dived it alongside my Leonardo where after 5 repetitive dives there was 20 mins difference in NDL between the two and I wasn't diving the Eon in an aggressive mode

ive just come back from a liveaboard of 20 dives over 6 days, 50% of which were to 40m and while we weren't diving square profiles we weren't diving at less than 18m for the majority of the dives to keep the NDL down. I'm now about to embark on another 34 dive trip and I don't expect any computer limitations - can't say I won't be the limiting factor though. By the time I get back I'll have passed 100dives on the Eon since Feb and it's been problem free

......My location means that some brands are not available to me without importing them myself. The Shearwater Petrel is one of those. I could have done without the AI, however was not prepared to invest in a computer that I would have to box up and send somewhere for support or service etc.......

I am happy for you and hope you enjoy your Eon, as I mentioned before they are good (not great) computers.

Petrel from DGX $749 with free shipping and the chances of having to send it back is slim to zero. The amount of $$$ that you could have saved ($750 vs $1400 X2) relates to a great holiday, or more dive equipment, or you could fly to Canada to repair the petrel (chances of that less way less than 1%) and still enjoy a holiday while you are there ........ Priceless.

maybe we're talking at different purposes. The Eon won't lock you out during a dive. It will get you to the surface. But because you've blown your stops it won't let you dive for 48 hrs. Now in all the situations you've described would you want to jump back in after blowing all your decos? Maybe 48hrs is too much I don't know. Personally after busting my stops to get to the surface I'd be happy to sit out the dives rather than taking a trip to the chamber

Blowing all your decos? I'm not really clear how you gathered that from my post, but that was very clearly not the implication in the least. Fact is that a thinking diver may have to make choices. This computer doesn't allow you that luxury.

Best stick to what your Eon tells you.

I would hope that if a computer is being designed and sold as a "technical" multi-gas unit, that those using it would know what they're doing. It seems having the lockout function is like saying "regardless of how properly trained, informed, and experienced you are... we're going to lock you out and baby sit you if you violate said parameters". It seems to be almost a contradiction in terms. That alone would make me shy away from the unit.

I can understand some safety precautions and lockout functions for a more "limited" sport diving computer, but for that purpose I don't think I would drop close to two grand to dive those kind of dives... even with the fancy color LCD screen and A.I.

At any rate, congratulations on your new purchase and I hope it gives you enjoyable and safe diving for a long time.

If my memory is correct (Suunto Helo2), once you violate any stop (mandatory) the unit will go in ERR mode after 3min. Only depth and time information is displayed. I believe this holds true for the Eon????

During multigas or tec dives you want to have the capability to shape your profile depending on need. The example of changing GF or VPM-B settings on the fly is very real. To my knowledge the Eon is not capable of doing this at all. If you develop gas supply issues or additional (unplanned) deco time and need to reduce your total deco obligation, then the Eon will leave you in the "dark" without any means to guide you. I know you can use avg depth info in conjunction with written down contingencies to get out, but doing this under stress/pressure/task-loading is not a place you want to be.

For me the issue is "flying" blind during the dive once you missed stops. Not so much being locked into gauge mode on the surface and this is what makes the Eon potential dangerous.

I am happy for you and hope you enjoy your Eon, as I mentioned before they are good (not great) computers.

Petrel from DGX $749 with free shipping and the chances of having to send it back is slim to zero. The amount of $$$ that you could have saved ($750 vs $1400 X2) relates to a great holiday, or more dive equipment, or you could fly to Canada to repair the petrel (chances of that less way less than 1%) and still enjoy a holiday while you are there ........ Priceless.

I'm not knocking the petrel one bit and it's a great price. However not all of us live in the U.S. In my area there is no Petal Dealer thus to buy one I need to Travel or risk the vagaries of international shipping hence not sereiously considering the Petrel at the moment. Perhaps if and when I move to more technical diving I might get one

---------- Post added August 14th, 2015 at 04:00 PM ----------

Blowing all your decos? I'm not really clear how you gathered that from my post, but that was very clearly not the implication in the least. Fact is that a thinking diver may have to make choices. This computer doesn't allow you that luxury.

i already said in a previous post that we may be talking at cross purposes regarding the lockout from breaking manditory stops. I do take offence at your inference that I'm not a thinking diver and a computer follower. I'm more than qualified to put my comp into gauge mode and carry out a technical dive. The computers current restrictions seem to be aimed at the gung-ho recreational diver (quite a few that populate the boards.

---------- Post added August 14th, 2015 at 04:02 PM ----------

i already said in a previous post that we may be talking at cross purposes regarding the lockout from breaking manditory stops. I do take offence at your inference that I'm not a thinking diver and a computer follower. I'm more than qualified to put my comp into gauge mode and carry out a technical dive. The computers current restrictions seem to be aimed at the gung-ho recreational diver (quite a few that populate the boards.

@DivingDubai: I don't live in the US either (africa) and regularly import equipment from DGX and will continue to do so. I can highly recommend DGX for all your online scuba shopping needs.

Dive Safe and have fun.

Back
Top Bottom