Suunto Eon Steel Review (post 30 dives)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving Dubai

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Finally I’ve found the time to write up my review on the Suunto Eon Steel. I purchased two in February this year (2015) one for me and one for my wife along with two tank pods
I had been in the market for a new multi gas computer for a while (previously both dived Cressi Leonardo’s) I had a number of needs / desires for my computer
Easy to read (I’ve have just started to need reading glasses), wrist mount, OLED type screen, easy battery replacement/rechargeable & preferably AI. I had some movement to compromise depending on the final choice.

I researched a number of computers and took some advice from different sources such as experienced shop owner, users off this forum, and manufacturers.
My location means that some brands are not available to me without importing them myself. The Shearwater Petrel is one of those. I could have done without the AI, however was not prepared to invest in a computer that I would have to box up and send somewhere for support or service etc.

In the end I opted for the Eon but had to wait as the release was delayed.

Right out of the box, the EON Steel is an impressive dive instrument. First off, its heavier than you would anticipate for its size, which for me is not a drawback... you can't even feel its weight when in the water. Overall, it has an extremely sturdy feel and you can tell that it’s well built just by holding it. The three buttons on the right are laid out well, and have nice and subtle click when you press them in. It comes fitted with a screen protector with a spare, the rubber protector cover and bungee mount as well as a strap.
Setting up – first you need to download DM5 from Suunto but after that it’s a pretty painless exercise – both computers were set up within 20 minutes.
The DM5 software is used to configure the screens either in graphical or in classic (numerical). The displays aren’t’ fully customisable, you just get to choose what is displayed in certain areas from a drop down box.

You can’t have a mix of graphical and classic screens – it’s one or the other but you do get to configure certain parts of the screen
For instance, on the upper-left corner, you can choose to display Battery life, Battery life + Time, or Battery Life + Temp. On the lower-left corner, you can display other information such as temp, temp + time, CNS, OTU, PO2, etc. One of the best customization features is the lower-right corner, which is a checkbox custom field where you can check as many different types of information as you want Avg depth, CNS, Current gas, Dive time, Max depth, OTU, PO2, temp, timer SAC and Time to Die (remaining gas time) These are scrolled through using the bottom left buttons.
Generally with the graphical mode there are 3 screens to scroll through, NDL, GAS and Compass. The latest revision has added the ability to lock in a bearing.
Pairing with a tank Pod (transmitter) is very easy – although the manual claims there is a green light on the transmitter, on my four pods there are no lights

So in use.

I dive in very bright conditions (cloud and rain are a rarity) the screen is clearly visible, although in direct sunlight its best viewed in shadow. In the shallows with bright light there can be a little glare, other than that it’s clear to read.

The graphics are a nice item, in that you can glance to see your NDL or Gas rather than reading the actual number displayed if you so wish. Like any computer you do need to read the manual to understand what it’s telling you and what the colours mean.

There is always is lot of talk about conservatism. We dive ours at the 0 mid point (there being 2 stops above and below this for more or less conservatism. I tend to dive mostly at recreational depths with a max at 40m generally bottoming out at 30m. with 7 dives over 2 days I’ve not yet found it to be restrictive, however we do dive sites where we can go shallow if need be, rather than say a wreck where you stay at depth. However on my initial dives I took along my old comp and on dive 7 there could be as much as 20mins difference between the Suunto and Cressi (Suunto having more time left)

Never had a transmitter drop off, we have ours mounted to a 6” hose with a Scuba Pro QR coupling at the transmitter end. This avoids anyone grabbing your TX when lifting equipment and we remove the TX in between dives.

Buttons: being on the left side they seem counter intuitive with the computer worn on the right wrist, in fact there is no issue. I tend to put my left hand under my right wrist and use my thumb – very positive feel even through 4mm gloves

Niggles and downsides

Tank pods. When editing gases with a paired TX the serial number of the TX is shown – it’s a long number. Indeed my wife mistakenly paired hers to mine with my gear 12’ away. Fortunately the fact that her comp was showing a near empty tank after she’s just changed hers (I hadn’t) caused her to look again. It would be nice if rather than this S/n you could give the pod a nickname – currently we have 2 each and are buying a couple more for our stages, to be sure we have paired the right TX to the right gas we have the last 4 digits of the S/n marked on the TX in large numbers and have to double check that with the display – it can be very easy to select the wrong one.
Water sensor – I’d like to be able to turn this off. We have to ensure we wash the comps between dives it seems that in a high humid environment any salt crystals hold enough moisture to keep the computer turned on.

The screen protectors both lasted 10 dives before they came off.

STOPS. Hmm in very small writing at the top, the Suunto loves its deep stops so you need to keep in mind what depth your next stop will be (obviously this is rec not tech) if not you get alarms going off. It can be a pain. Likewise if you miss a stop is give you a mandatory amount of time at the safety stop (the countdown turns red) generally 20-30 seconds.
I personally would like to mix the classic and graphical displays being able to scroll between them – you have to set one mode or the other at the surface.

It would be nice to be able to customise the covers or the straps. As well as my wife’s on the last dive boat there were 3 other eon’s I have a bit of white tap on the underside of mine perhaps different coloured straps or rubber boots?

To fit the bungee strap you need a T7 torx (I believe) as yet I haven’t found one so cant use the bungee which I’d rather use instead of the strap

Summary

Apart from the niggles I’m very happy with the comp it gets used most weeks. The longest it sat unused was 1 month and the battery still had charge. To charge you simply plug in the USB lead and its done in less than an hour – my come shows 28 hrs dive time off a full battery , although my wife’s now shows 40hrs after the firmware upgrade.
Down loading dives is easy, I use Mac dive and I worked with them earlier this year sending my downloaded dive logs so Mac dive could read it. Nick at Mac dive sorted the code within 2 days and it works fine. Would I recommend one, yes indeed two of my friends have purchased them. I can’t comment on price as it depends on the territory. As yet I haven’t’ found it lacking at all and am very happy with it.

Man, nothing in that review makes me want to go out and buy one, especially for the cost. Sounds like an underperforming computer and an overzealous price. Having to rely on an external computer to setup a dive computer? Weak sauce. (Among other less-than-desirable aspects of the computer)

Well put together review, but it does the opposite of sell me on the computer.

yeah, I'm with you Johnny, if I'm going for something with AI I'd save $500 and get the Seabear H3. While it is nice you can set it up from the computer, wish you could with the Petrel, it sounds way to complicated for what it is and the price is insane....

yeah, I'm with you Johnny, if I'm going for something with AI I'd save $500 and get the Seabear H3. While it is nice you can set it up from the computer, wish you could with the Petrel, it sounds way to complicated for what it is and the price is insane....

They released the H3 with AI and transmitter ? Where can I buy/see one ?

the AI will be coming in a few months, the existing H3's will be compatible with a firmware update. Talk to Randy at Sub-Gravity if you want better information.

Just a note to clarify.

You only need to connect it to a computer for the following:

1. Initial registration
2. Set up the screen layout customisation.

Additionally you can with your computer do the following under DM5

Down load dive logs into DM5 (although I use Mac Dive the DM5 is used for a backup)
Carry out dive planning - again I understand others have other software they prefer)
Get Firmware updates

Charge the Computer. although you can use any USB charger (I use the iPad or Go Pro) charger)

What also might be of interest certainly for this but also for other chargeable comps - I have a charging block (one of these battery packs you charge and carry around in your pocket/bag in case your phone dies etc.) You can also charge the computer from one of these.

Not sure comparing it with the Seabear is valid as (just looking at the website) the H3 appears to be smaller (described as a watch?)

---------- Post added June 24th, 2015 at 01:17 PM ----------

Man, nothing in that review makes me want to go out and buy one, especially for the cost. Sounds like an underperforming computer and an overzealous price. Having to rely on an external computer to setup a dive computer? Weak sauce. (Among other less-than-desirable aspects of the computer)

Well put together review, but it does the opposite of sell me on the computer.

I wouldn't say it under performs at all - perhaps it's a little cautious with its deep stops, however that's rec mode and I am diving it set to mid point conservatism. If I'm on a wreck with a square profile them these aren't an issue, If like the majority of my diving I'm on off shore reefs there can be quite a bit of coming up before going down to hide behind the topography keeping out of fearsome currents. It sometime thinks that because you're ascending you are going to continue to ascend. Frankly that would be the same for all computers as they aren't mind readers.

If I'm doing a mixed gas deco then it goes into gauge mode and I follow a plan as you'd expect.

I do dive with other buddies that use the Gallello (and another wrist mount whose name escapes me) my comp has never limited the dive.

Cost - Ahh yes. With a TX yes it's not cheap (using a UK website) it's $30 more than a Cobalt 2

Without a TX (so comparable) its 15% more than a Petral 2 OC/TRIMIX

The Eon is 22% less expensive than the Liquivision Lynx

It is a high end machine and that can't be denied and has a high end cost the individual has to justify the cost to themselves. I drive a F150 Raptor but for 98% of the time a normal F150 would do and be cheaper - but I prefer the Raptor go figure.

Last edited:
I had a look at the Suunto Eon in a store and aside from the high price, the display was hard to read in bright daylight. Does not motivate me to replace my trusty Galileo.

You had to use a computer to set up the computer. Massive fail, period, full stop. Why would you ever be forced to rely on a completely separate piece of hardware just to get the purchased functionality. No way. If I can't take it out of the box and get in the water, it's a huge drawback. I don't take my computer on dive trips with me, what happens if it decides to reset and I need to re-register just to make the thing work. If I were on a liveaboard and that happened I would be LIVID.

The bottom line is that it's a dive computer that does half of what competing computers do at twice the price.

You had to use a computer to set up the computer. Massive fail, period, full stop. Why would you ever be forced to rely on a completely separate piece of hardware just to get the purchased functionality.[/quote}

You've never had an iPad nor iPhone then?

For reset (I've done one to check) it revert to the display configurations you'd already set - much like and iPad or iPhone.

I dive liveaboards monthly these are just 2 nights and a car drive away so take spares for everything - rarely have I used it for my own equipment (O-ring or some gaffa tape for a fin strap) I do maybe 3 or 4 liveaboards for a week or longer each year where I need air travel to get there thus a smaller kit of spares. A good test of the kit before hand ensures that so far I've never had a kit failure.

---------- Post added June 25th, 2015 at 02:30 PM ----------

I had a look at the Suunto Eon in a store and aside from the high price, the display was hard to read in bright daylight. Does not motivate me to replace my trusty Galileo.

To re-assure you on that point. I dive in the Middle East, you can't get brighter sunlight than we have. On a boat on the surface it's readable if its in the shadow of your body. Under water given you tilt your wrist there is no problem reading it even near or at the surface.

If I had a Galileo I wouldn't' replace it either - good solid computer and quite a few of my friends have them - however if I were buying a new comp then the Galileo is getting long in the tooth.

The price of any gear is relative to what someone's can afford or is willing to pay

I'm not trying to sell this comp to anyone - just clarifying any points people make.

All,

So I don't have nearly the number of dives with the EON that Diving Dubai does but I can say that everything he has said has been accurate to my experience as well. As far as the question of should you buy one or why should you buy one.

1. The best compass I have ever used. IMHO it is better than a real compass and more convenient. The next closes one is the Petrol 2 though so if your looking at those 2 computers...
2. If you want a computer that is a bad ass rec computer and a pretty bad ass tech computer in one unit this is it, but lets be honest you could probably buy one of each for the price.
3. If your a Suunto fanboy or a RGBM fanboy well you're probably writing one of these.

Reasons to avoid it.

1. Cost
2. The only option for a planner is DM5 (or 4) sense the modified RGBM is to far removed from any other common model.
3. You don't like the RGBM
4. The lock out thing scares you. I think your an idiot if you skip a deco for '3 and your not having an assent emergency. Also I don't think the haters have really
looked at the profiles that are created by the Fused RGBM. If they did they would realize that skipping one of the early stops and doing the 1.5 for the last 2
will probably still bend you. The spacing is too wide on the RGBM model. Your supposed to be diving with backup charts anyway and it's not like it goes blank
with a middle finger. It just goes to form of gauge mode.

So overall I would not make a case for most to buy one. I'm going through PADI Tec deep and it's a bit of a struggle dealing with DM5 and the extreme differences between the profiles my computer is running vs everyone else's Petrol. However I actually like the profiles that the Suunto creates better and I'm not just saying that because I bought the EON. Once I'm done with the course and I start diving my own plans I think I will be happier with my purchase. Love the compass and the battery. If the suggestions that owners have made to Suunto get implemented in upgraded firmware this will be the computer to have. If not most can find something more fitting for a better price. Time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom