Question Suunto Eon Core - Tank Pod Battery Replacement Kit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveProKoko

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Good day! My shop is sold out of these and I'm having a heck of a time finding one online. Does anyone know where I can buy a tank pod battery replacement kit for a Suunto Eon Core tank pod in the US/online? I'm looking for the proper kit with the battery, O-ring and plastic cap as Suunto recommends you change out all three when replacing the battery, etc. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I don't believe Suunto sells these anymore, you need to send the Pod to Suunto for battery replacement. My LDS handled this for me.

I don't believe Suunto sells these anymore, you need to send the Pod to Suunto for battery replacement. My LDS handled this for me.
Oof...I was afraid of that. The last one I changed out was in Curacao (2021) and they had them in stock, sold me one, and loaned me their tools and a bench to switch it out quick. I can find them in Europe via the internet, but shipping to the US can be lengthy and sometimes costly. I'll keep looking....or have it switched out when I get to Grand Cayman in a few weeks. Thanks!

I have been wondering if there is a helicoil/threaded insert small enough to fit in the holes of the Suunto tank pod/Suunto transmitter so that one can use small bolts to retighten instead of the self-tapping screws that come on them. That would alleviate concerns of stripped or weakened threads in the holes if reusing the cover.

-Z

Hi, sorry for hijacking your question.
I was wondering when you changed the battery on your own, did your pressure test it afterwards?

I got a new pod for my Vyper Novo 2 years ago and i have less than 100 dives with it. When i bought it the battery was dead so they changed it for free. But now it's dead again and it's quite expensive paying 45 euros so often.

Hi, sorry for hijacking your question.
I was wondering when you changed the battery on your own, did your pressure test it afterwards?

I got a new pod for my Vyper Novo 2 years ago and i have less than 100 dives with it. When i bought it the battery was dead so they changed it for free. But now it's dead again and it's quite expensive paying 45 euros so often.
When I replaced mine, I did not pressure test it. I was just very careful removing the screws and cover. I greased the o-ring, and carefully replaced the cover and screws being especially careful to not over tighten the screws and strip the threads in the cover.

When I replaced mine, I did not pressure test it. I was just very careful removing the screws and cover. I greased the o-ring, and carefully replaced the cover and screws being especially careful to not over tighten the screws and strip the threads in the cover.
Yeah, that's my problem. When i changed the battery of my Suunto Vyper Novo the first time it wasn't too tight and the second it was too tight and a screw broke :banghead:

Yeah, that's my problem. When i changed the battery of my Suunto Vyper Novo the first time it wasn't too tight and the second it was too tight and a screw broke :banghead:
Just use a small screwdriver. It takes one with a small head anyway, but you need to use one that is short without a large handle (like a small precision driver) which you can't put a lot of torque into. Turn the screw in slowly until you get it good and snug, then turn it just a little bit more, no more than a ¼ turn. That should do it for you.

Now, when I replaced mine, I was at Beqa Lagoon Resort in Fiji and the battery went out on the first day of diving. I did have a battery with me as well as a new cap (although i used the old one as it didn't have any cracks and the o-ring was in great shape) so really didn't have any choice but to do it myself.

And I'm really surprised you broke a screw before it stripped the threads.

In case any member posting on this thread is interested in waterproofing to 160 feet a Suunto Eon/D5 tank POD we provide that service after servicing them, that is replacing the battery and the O-ring. The same waterproofing test is customarily performed on each and every dive watch or dive computer we service at Divewatchdoctor. You can find us at www.divewatchdoctor.com

Back
Top Bottom