Re-start on topic: Questions concerning Backplates.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The DSS LCD30 is a 30# lift wing, right? I couldn't find lift spec on the website for some reason.

Looks to me like you indeed found lift specs on the website.

Thanks for the help.
With the DGX travel combo sold out, it looks like my choices are wider.
Under a worst case scenario, if I need to run an aluminum 80 I would need to plan for that.
To be honest, I wanted to go cheap and simple and figure out what I like and hate later. It happened with my BC and as I was starting to change my diving habits and simplify my routine. Harness set-ups are seemingly flexible after purchase but wings are not. The travel set-up at least gives me the option to have a travel wing if needed (I admit a dumb idea since I don't travel much for diving.). The DSS LCD30 is a 30# lift wing, right? I couldn't find lift spec on the website for some reason.

The # associated with all DSS wings represents the lift in lbs. A Torus 26 provides 26 lbs of lift, a Torus 17 provides 17 lbs etc.

We test our wings lift capacity as follows:

Weigh a wing empty and record the weight

Assemble this wing onto a plate and harness with a 8" cylinder

Fill the wing completely with water.

Remove the full of water and weigh it a 2nd time.

Subtract the empty weight from the full weight, this represents the weight of water the wing can displace when assembled to a DSS plate and with a cylinder attached.

Narrow wings will be constrained by the plate and cylinder, in the "free state" i.e. not assembled to a plate and tank it's typical for our wings to offer considerably more volume.

Divers need to know the capacity as assembled however.

If your suit is really +16 ~18 lbs and you use a weight belt for ~4-6 lbs of ballast (pretty much any diver can accommodate a 6 lbs weight belt. ) You would be well served with a 25-26 lbs wing.

These wings are a reasonable compromise for warm and cold water diving. If you see a drysuit in your future you may want to consider a 30 lbs wing as drysuits tend to be more buoyant than the wetsuit they replace.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom