Calling All Mac Users!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A follow-up as promised...I have just posted TWO important files to our Downloads section:

1) Sensus Manager 2.52 for Windows

This minor update fixes a couple of long-standing bugs and one new one which might affect some PC users downloading via our USB adapter. We've also added a brief help page describing what the new Sensus Ultra settings mean, and we've added some "sanity checks" to warn you if any settings you've specified might be a bad idea.

2) Sensus Manager 2.5 BETA for Mac OS X

We would have released this as FINAL, but there are some known issues we're trying to work out. Most importantly, we have been seeing intermittent communication problems, even with our own USB adapters. Certain combinations of OS, drivers, and hardware may be more problematic than others.

If you get communication errors of any kind, record which ones and report directly by email to WILK {at} REEFNET {dot} CA. Try multiple times, because sometimes you will get different errors, and you should eventually get a good connection.

Looking forward to your feedback,

Kris Wilk
ReefNet Inc.

I own a G4 Powerbook and a G5 desktop, both running OSX. I also own a Uwatec dive comp for which I refused to buy the Windows-only software. I like the comp, but hate that I can't use the download feature, and therefore can't access data the comp actually gathers but doesn't display.

Thanks for this thread; it's a huge service that you have taken this on and also mobilized us.

6 Macs at home, most of them in recording studio, most of them running OSX. 12 Macs at school, where I teach classes in Electronic Music.

No Windoze computers....I've seen it!

I always take my PowerBook with me on Dive trips, so I can edit and view my UW pics and video.

I did not but a Suunto dive computer because of their crappy attitude about Mac support.

I did buy 2 Oceanic dive computers, but I assumed I would not be able to download the data.

Had I known about Uwatec's Mac support, I probably would have bought one of those.

I do appreciate Mark's work on Mac software, and that 'almost' got me to but a Suunto, but I am quite happy with my Oceanics, except for the lack of Mac software.

My main machines (especialy on trips) are 1.67 Ghz 15" PowerBook, and Oceanic Versa Pro.

And yes, Mac users are extremely loyal to companies that support them.

Great thread!

I had a Powerbook Duo...about 10 years ago..now I'm using a Powerbook G4. Unfortunately, I have not found freeware(?!) to download my dives from my Suunto Stinger Titanium Grey. :(

JimmyP:
Do you use a regular dive computer with the "Ultra"
Sorry Jimmy, I missed your post the first time.

I use a Genesis ReAct Pro in my console. It is Nitrox compatible up to 50%. Fairly inexpensive and easy to use. Just no Mac downloads.

I had several scubaboarders PM me with recommendations about the Sensus and I had pretty much decided to get one. Then I dove with a diver with quite a few years experience who told me it was the second best money he has spent on dive gear. That sealed the deal for me.

Willie

reefnet:
2) Sensus Manager 2.5 BETA for Mac OS X
Thank you Kris.:clapping:

I downloaded the Mac software last night and gathered the data for the 14 dives I have done since getting the Ultra. Really cool to be able to do that. :)

I am attaching a sample of the saved data from my last dive yesterday for those who may not have seen the software. It saves in pict format, but I converted it to jpg to decrease size.

I tried 4 times to upload the attachment without success. I will try posting it later and see if I can get it to work then.

I still cant get it to upload, so here is a link to the screenshot if you are interested.

Willie

I own a 1 year old G4 ibook and a 7 year old vaio. The vaio is still with me as I need it to download from my Atom. I still use windows in the office environment as the business software needs windows. For my dive pictures, videos, web, travels and everything else, I use my Mac.

Thanks for this thread.

wet-willie:
Sorry Jimmy, I missed your post the first time.

I use a Genesis ReAct Pro in my console. It is Nitrox compatible up to 50%. Fairly inexpensive and easy to use. Just no Mac downloads.

I had several scubaboarders PM me with recommendations about the Sensus and I had pretty much decided to get one. Then I dove with a diver with quite a few years experience who told me it was the second best money he has spent on dive gear. That sealed the deal for me.

Willie

Hey Willie, did the guy tell you what his BEST money was spent on? :)

I downloaded the software yesterday and imported a dozen dives or so. I got an error message on the first attempt but after that it worked fine. The web site said that since it was Beta ware, we would have to re-download at some point (in a few days). I hope this version stays active and doesn't time-out or anything before that.

ZzzKing:
The web site said that since it was Beta ware, we would have to re-download at some point (in a few days). I hope this version stays active and doesn't time-out or anything before that.

Yes, the beta version will lock you out after June 6. That's just to ensure that no one keeps using it long-term. Unless any major problems are found, the final version will be going up this week.

On my main development machine (an Intel Mac Mini 1.66GHz core duo), I have the same problem as you ZzzKing: first download attempt always has trouble establishing a connection. You'd think with such a repeatable error right in front of me it would be easy to fix. But there appears to be no good reason for it. That leads me to believe it's a bug in the USB adapter driver when it initially opens the serial port. More investigation is necessary.

Fortunately, it's just an annoyance, since subsequent connections all seem to work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom