Calling All Mac Users!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm new to the site - so I'm posting...

I have been a loyal Apple user since the 80's. By current Mac is the 17-inch G4 notebook, and I'm thinking about one of the new laptops. While not a Mac, the oldest Apple I still have is the IIe.

I recently (yesterday) bought a UWATEC dive computer, and the available Mac software was the deciding factor. Suunto was the runner up, and a Sherwood took the bronze.

I used posts on this site, other websites, and discussions with other divers to guide my buying selection.

I have a Mini, iMac, and a MacBook Pro, all Intel. So, I need to see some Universal Binaries! :)

Ice9:
I have a Mini, iMac, and a MacBook Pro, all Intel. So, I need to see some Universal Binaries! :)
Your wish is my command...that is, if you use one of our data recorders. :)

I just posted Sensus Manager 2.55 for PC and Mac to our web site. No functional changes, but the Mac version is now a very snappy Universal Binary. Several bug fixes too, mostly very obscure.

An official announcement will be going out with some other news in our email newsletter some time next week.

Kris Wilk
ReefNet Inc.
www.reefnet.ca

Have G3 ibook, an old old pre-G laptop, and am looking at a new macbook superdrive.... would like to see Dacor Darwin (same as Mares) supported as well as the Dive Rite nitek and the VR3................ HAve yet to buy any of the expensive dive computers because they don't support OSX.........

Our office is entirely Mac and I've personally never owned anything else. I am currently in the market for my first computer and I've been blown away by the lack of Mac support. I mean, read the profiles of all the dive photogs in the magazines and every one of them is running Mac.

I will now go back and read this in its entirety and probably find lots of Mac help...

I have been a Mac user since 1984 and currently have a Macbook pro I do have a windows side to the computer using BOOT CAMP but going from Mac to windows xp is like going from a Mercedes to a Dewoo. I have bought a UWETEC Smart Tec in hopes that I can actually make the J-Track work on the mac side..... If any one has done this please let me know!

Diver Dan AZ:
I have been a Mac user since 1984 and currently have a Macbook pro I do have a windows side to the computer using BOOT CAMP but going from Mac to windows xp is like going from a Mercedes to a Dewoo. I have bought a UWETEC Smart Tec in hopes that I can actually make the J-Track work on the mac side..... If any one has done this please let me know!
Hi Dan!

I am still unable to find the right IR adapter for my JTrak. I've received several e-mails from the people who made that software. Here's the one directly from the main man himself - Dirk Frobese:

Hi,

we are sorry about the trouble. The problem is, that apple does not support any Irda, so we have to implement the driver by ourself. There are plenty of Irda USB sticks, so we are focused on the Chipsets KC-180 and Sigmatel 4210.
Ask the provider, what kind of chipset is build inside, or you can look in the "about" menu of OSX and have a look in the USB-entry of the Irda-USB device. There you find the name of the manufactor of the chipset. We stay in contact with Uwatec and they will provide a new Irda adapter, wich works with JTrak.

Regards,
Dirk

I hope this helps in your search. Let us know if you manage to get it to work.

...and welcome to the board!

I bought a Smart Com a couple months ago (posted something on it). Great toy...uh...I mean great dive computer.

I have not found a way to sync it to my Mac (G4 powerbook). I tried an IRDA and driver I saw recommended on this thread without success. SystemProfiler shows the device, but I'm getting nothing in the way of connection (yes, even when touching). After following the device driver's installation instructions, I did not see the application running that the instructions said should be running. (Hmm, wonder where the problem is. :wink: ) Rinse, repeat, still no luck. So...

I since bought an old Palm device, but have not tried to play with it. Full-time work, night classes (exams the next couple weeks), and diving :D seem more important. Well, the diving at least. :D Part of my reasoning for the Palm was it cost less than some IRDA devices, plus (assuming I can get software loaded to it) it can travel with me more easily than a laptop, and I won't feel bad if it went overboard.

JTrak does run on my computer, no worries there.

Back
Top Bottom