Calling All Mac Users!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have an old iMac PowerPC G3 400 MHz running OS X. I have a Suunto Gekko dive computer. I might have spent more on a dive computer if anyone offered one that interfaced with my Mac. I don't see why it can't be open source.

k4man:
what about a group here on ScubaBoard for Mac users....keeping them (us) up to date on latest dive related software, etc and an overall support place??

(sorry, i haven't read completely through the thread yet to know if it's been suggested to mods or not)......too busy playing with iSight and iChat and ScubaBoard at the same time.

Actually, THIS is the Mac Group. Welcome to it!!!

barebones:
Mac OS 10 will run windows XP. No need to buy a new computer IF you have a newer MAC.

barebones

Heh, if I wanted to have WinXP or any other at home, I would have stayed with my PC, not switch to Mac...

I have used Windows ever since I switched from Amiga to PC in the early 90's, and even if they are quite ok now, they still lack that something. I've found it in OS X (also being a Linux user for a couple of years), and don't plan to look back. Plus, it's much more fun to use, and reminds less about work. :)

So, it's a no-go. :)

I still use a PC notebook at work, but that stays in the office unless I really need to carry it around. I guess my logs will remain the only personal thing left over there, untill something changes.

I have an IMac/G4 and an old Aladin Pro. Of course the interface (the so called Memo Mouse) Uwatec developped doesn't work with my Mac. If I would buy the computer now, I would find it really dissapointing not to have a decent software working with my computer. In my case, the day I decide to change my divecomputer, the lack of an adequate software, will be a reason to buy a different brand.
So, you say, Suunto is not supporting a program for Mac???
I really didn't now. What a pitty, the D6 and the D9 are really cute.
Bad news.... for Suunto.
:wink:

CineDiver:
3) There is the possibility of running Parallels... I'm not too up on it other than it is more of a virtual machine that acts in the same way as Virtual PC did. This could have issues with drivers. Much better than Boot Camp because it runs in the native Mac OS X.
Parallels is a pretty slick product. It gives you the option of either installing a virtual disk (a'la Virtual PC), or booting off the Boot Camp partition if you have one. The latter option essentially allows you to boot your Mac into Windows (kind of pain, and you lose access to OS X while doing this), or running Windows in its own environment under OS X. Personally, I prefer the "virtual disk" option, since it's more secure and allows disk images to be cloned or moved from one computer or another. Since Parallels allows Windows to run native on Intel-based Macs, it is much faster than Virtual PC.

There is also a new product available from VMware called Fusion - it was announced at the Apple WWDC in August, and is currently out in beta. VMware has been a major player in the virtualization market for several years - they started on Linux in the 1990s, and eventually migrated their products to Windows as well. Fusion is compatible with disk images that were created for previous versions of VMware, and several pre-made images are available as free downloads from their website (sorry, but no free Windows - open source OSes only).

I have a fair amount of experience with VMware on the Linux side, but have not played with it at all on OS X (other than to download it and read the docs :wink:). Based on what I know about VMware's other products, I imagine Fusion will be pretty stable, and it would probably be my choice over Parallels, given the level of support that is already available for it.

CineDiver:
ALSO... for non Intel Macs there is still Virtual PC. But all above still applies.
Microsoft has announced that they have no plans to port VPC to the Intel platform. This effectively makes it a dead product, since PPC-based Macs are no longer being made. I seriously doubt that MS will do much to support it from here on out, so I would not depend on it's being a viable option much longer.

evil_xander:
I have used Windows ever since I switched from Amiga to PC in the early 90's, and even if they are quite ok now, they still lack that something. I've found it in OS X (also being a Linux user for a couple of years), and don't plan to look back. Plus, it's much more fun to use, and reminds less about work. :)
Welcome to the Mac community, Xander!

After the fall of Commodore Amiga, I too have found myself shipwrecked on a PC and Microsoft Windows. It was Windows 3.11 back then, and it was horrible. Things got much better with Windows 95 and versions that followed, but as you said - Windows never really came to where Amiga was more than a decade ago.

I turned to Mac OS. Think it was version 7.63 of Mac OS and I soon discovered that this was the platform the majority of former Amiga users migrated to. You're home. :)

Hello all,

Mac newbie here, have a couple mini's (older style and newer style), a Powerbook G4, and looking to acquire a Mac Pro sometime soon.

This post is filled with wonderful tips and insights into how I might migrate my dive stuff from my Windows based world to Mac.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom