Calling All Mac Users!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kris,

I am using a G4 Powerbook w/OS 10.4.5. Must not be an exclusive new OS or new machine issue. I am using a cheap USB/serial cable I had lying around the house. Seems to work fine. "Your results may differ".

The best part about this little device is that I no longer have to worry about buying a dive computer with laptop interfacability (<is that even a word?). That saves me $75 or so on a Suunto download cable and any future download cables for any future dive computers I might acquire.

ZzzKing:
Hey Willie, did the guy tell you what his BEST money was spent on?
He told me, but I dont remember at the moment. I guess it was not something I was thinking of buying. :)

It is interesting that the error is consistent. Since the first time, it has worked like a champ for me. I think I will have to go diving and see if I cant get some new data recorded.

Willie

wet-willie:
He told me, but I dont remember at the moment. I guess it was not something I was thinking of buying. :)

It is interesting that the error is consistent. Since the first time, it has worked like a champ for me. I think I will have to go diving and see if I cant get some new data recorded.

Willie

Hey, when ya gotta go, ya gotta go!

After all that's been said here, am I right to assume that Uwatec is to date the best supported dive computer for a Mac?

Is it the way to go for us, Macsters?

mislav:
After all that's been said here, am I right to assume that Uwatec is to date the best supported dive computer for a Mac?
I'd have to say no, since Uwatec does not offer Mac software. If you mean third-party software support, it's one of the better ones. But remember that no one really knows the technical specs of the Uwatec computers, so no one can guarantee genuine/complete compatibility. Nevertheless, I must admit that the reverse-engineering some people have done is impressive.

To my knowledge, ReefNet is only manufacturer that offers native Mac OS software. We're also the only manufacturer that publishes the communication protocol for our devices. As a result, we have lots of third-party software support.

So my (totally biased) suggestion would be to consider our Sensus Ultra data recorder.

Kris Wilk
ReefNet Inc.
www.reefnet.ca

reefnet:
I'd have to say no, since Uwatec does not offer Mac software. If you mean third-party software support, it's one of the better ones. But remember that no one really knows the technical specs of the Uwatec computers, so no one can guarantee genuine/complete compatibility. Nevertheless, I must admit that the reverse-engineering some people have done is impressive.

To my knowledge, ReefNet is only manufacturer that offers native Mac OS software. We're also the only manufacturer that publishes the communication protocol for our devices. As a result, we have lots of third-party software support.

So my (totally biased) suggestion would be to consider our Sensus Ultra data recorder.
I think that depends on how you define "offer".

Uwatec DOES offer Mac software that works with it's latest computers. It's software written by someone else, but Uwatec offers it as an official option right from their website, and that counts in my book.

http://us.uwatec.com/software/software_jtrak.asp

You have a decent product, from what I've heard, but it's pretty low to make false statements about the competition and plug your own alternative in the same breath.

CompuDude:
You have a decent product, from what I've heard, but it's pretty low to make false statements about the competition and plug your own alternative in the same breath.
I stand corrected. I was unaware of the official status of J-Trak. It certainly does look like a well-rounded software package.

As for questioning my intentions (and hence my character)...say what you like, but I think my record on these and other forums speaks for itself. I try to be careful, helpful, and respectful. I admit when I'm wrong (like I was today), and I welcome constructive criticism.

But don't take my word for it.

Kris Wilk
ReefNet Inc.
www.reefnet.ca

reefnet:
I stand corrected. I was unaware of the official status of J-Trak. It certainly does look like a well-rounded software package.

As for questioning my intentions (and hence my character)...say what you like, but I think my record on these and other forums speaks for itself. I try to be careful, helpful, and respectful. I admit when I'm wrong (like I was today), and I welcome constructive criticism.

But don't take my word for it.
You done right as far as I'm concerned, with your speedy correction. :)

I was rather surprised the issue came up at all, as I have seen your posts and was aware that you had a decent rep (enough that I commented on it), now restored in my eyes, It did look bad, however, and I felt compelled to comment. I apologize if I was overly harsh.

Derek S:
I've always said that once an app is created to allow me to run PC SW at 100% speed (ie- FPSes), I will buy a mac.

Well, it's time!

akuehnemund:
I'm eternally greatful to Marc for having written Divelog. I have been testing and then using it since the first beta. I love being able to use it with my Powerbook.Thanks again, Marc!

I have to second this. DiveLog is a great piece of software. Suunto should have ported their software to the Mac, but since they haven't, they should open their protocols.

coyote

Back
Top Bottom