California Diving Company

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clammy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone know what happened to them?

Their website is full of broken links, their machine says they are temporarily closed, and some of the instructors have gone elsewhere...

Did they close? I had no idea...

That's funny you brought this up. I just ran across thier box on LP and it said that it has been discontinued and no longer available. I also tried to email them for the broken links last week and still have not received a response.

So, my guess is that they are OOB

That's funny you brought this up. I just ran across thier box on LP and it said that it has been discontinued and no longer available. I also tried to email them for the broken links last week and still have not received a response.

So, my guess is that they are OOB

I did a search and also found that LP had them listed as discontinued.

But this didn't surprise me as shipping costs to get the box delivered to LP would be high and is also costly to ship to the customer.

Add that to the cost of the box selling for $270 plus a set of sand wheels for even more and $40 of shipping ground charges, most people aren't going to buy it.

The box is just overpriced. most folks just go to Lowes and get a Stanley box for $49 bucks and get about the same thing.

Stanley at Lowe's: 24 Gallon Mobile Job Chest

076174929782md.jpg
$49 vs the California box @ $269 +shipping
California-Diving-Company-Rolling-Dive-Transporter-with-Tank-Carrier.jpg

I bought that stanley box but I think it's too small. I might switch the to 50 gallon one. I can get all my essentials and backup stuff in there but not my dry suit stuff or I can get my dry suit stuff and bp/w and MAYBE my fins. The 50 gallon one will fit full divers!

What happenned to New England Divers?

I bought that stanley box but I think it's too small. I might switch the to 50 gallon one. I can get all my essentials and backup stuff in there but not my dry suit stuff or I can get my dry suit stuff and bp/w and MAYBE my fins. The 50 gallon one will fit full divers!

I didn't know they made a 50 gallon one.

I've found at home the rubbermade 18 gallon ones work great. I've got some 25 gallon rubbermaid bins and they just get heavy to carry when fully loaded with heavy stuff. (especially harder for the wife to pick up and move since the are bigger also).

Anyway, I know I could easily get a days worth of dive stuff in the 25 gallon. (I often use the 18 gallon ones when 'car diving'). But I don't think I could get a drysuit in there also

The only worry I'd have about the 50 gallon is that it'd be too freaking big to easily load when full. That was one of the issues with the California dive box. their box was pretty heavy empty.

btw.... searching for the 50 gallon box, I ran across this thread on SB that was recent that might be helpful to all.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...85136-large-gear-storage-box-suggestions.html

First off the CDC is closed but isn't, he is joining forces with Jim at the Ventura dive shop, the one by the Spectre. It's one that has the Raptor. Second I have the Stanley box pictured above & I put my own sand tires on it & it's perfect. Robert my dive buddy has one also but he left the original tires on it & he likes his that way. I've had my box for about 3 years now & my only problem is the latches you have to make sure they're coated or they'll rust big time. I have a friend that has the big & I think it's too big. You can always put your dry suit in a bag & strap it to the top, I do that with my wetsuit.

John

I just wanted a wheeled box to roll to the boats and to catalina so I could attach a tank or 2 on top. I use a stahlsac catalina for a more travel dive bag and I have several rubbermaid and hard boxes at home for gear. I just loaded up my stanley fully up right now and it's pretty heavy with the weights in there. I was hoping I'd have room to throw in my first aid kit but it just BARELY fits my bp/w, can light, regbag, save-a-dive kit/tools, 2 masks, gloves, weight belt, hood, and dry bag. I had to shove the dry bag down to close it.

What do I need to coat the latches with to prevent rust?

I think I'm just going to have to carry the dry suit stuff or get the big dui backpack to put undergarments AND the drysuit in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom