California Diving Company

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ehh... I'd rather not have petroleum based products around my dive gear... especially the dry suit!

You don't spray it when your gear is in it or you can use a silicon based spray.

John

I just wanted a wheeled box to roll to the boats and to catalina so I could attach a tank or 2 on top. I use a stahlsac catalina for a more travel dive bag and I have several rubbermaid and hard boxes at home for gear. I just loaded up my stanley fully up right now and it's pretty heavy with the weights in there. I was hoping I'd have room to throw in my first aid kit but it just BARELY fits my bp/w, can light, regbag, save-a-dive kit/tools, 2 masks, gloves, weight belt, hood, and dry bag. I had to shove the dry bag down to close it.

What do I need to coat the latches with to prevent rust?

I think I'm just going to have to carry the dry suit stuff or get the big dui backpack to put undergarments AND the drysuit in.

Try wearing your weights around your waist, and try carrying your backplate and tank on your back. That should free up space in your box which you can pull. This is pretty much what I do for the trips on Catalina Express to Avalon.

Last edited:
Been away from the board a while... saw this thread and thought I'd add....

I've seen that 50 gallon box at Home Depot. It's huge! If you can't fit yer gear in there, well, then there's no helping you Brian! LOL. Unload some of that stuff. I'm thinking about getting one, though I imagine it will be quite heavy once loaded up. Might need a forklift to get it in and out of my truck. :wink: Also, it doesn't have the nice tank holder on it, but no biggie.

On that note, it's nice to be back here.

Cheers.

You don't spray it when your gear is in it or you can use a silicon based spray.

John

Obviously not while the gear is in there! But it's still petroleum based and it'll be hanging around the gear. Also, WD40 tends to attract dust and other things floating around.

Try wearing your weights around your waist, and try carrying your backplate and tank on your back. That should free up space in your box which you can pull. This is pretty much what I do for the trips on Catalina Express to Avalon.

I was trying avoid wearing anything so that I could wear a backpack and other things in the event that I would be staying in catalina. What do you do with your weight belt and bp/w while on the express? Just sit next to it or leave it as is open in the bag room?

Been away from the board a while... saw this thread and thought I'd add....

I've seen that 50 gallon box at Home Depot. It's huge! If you can't fit yer gear in there, well, then there's no helping you Brian! LOL. Unload some of that stuff. I'm thinking about getting one, though I imagine it will be quite heavy once loaded up. Might need a forklift to get it in and out of my truck. :wink: Also, it doesn't have the nice tank holder on it, but no biggie.

On that note, it's nice to be back here.

Cheers.

HA HA, we're not talking about the 50 gallon one Danny! That one, you could just suit up and lie down in!! We're talking about the smaller 28 gallon or whichever one. Also, the tank holder on the one Lorenzo designed doesn't hold any tank with a boot!

I was trying avoid wearing anything so that I could wear a backpack and other things in the event that I would be staying in catalina. What do you do with your weight belt and bp/w while on the express? Just sit next to it or leave it as is open in the bag room?

I think with time, you'll get a better sense of what you really need to pack more efficiently. I would stick the backpack or extra small duffle bag on top of your roller bag/box which you are pulling. Also, if you are staying overnight, you don't need 4 different outfits and a whole bunch of clothes. You are likely in Catalina to dive and not attend formal functions. Leave the tuxedo at home. LOL!

I'll leave the backplate attached to the tank on the boat. Technically, I think the Catalina express wants you to keep the weights outside your roller box, so I would just leave it as is next to the roller bag. I'm only currently using 5 lbs in soft weights, so I might just throw this in the roller bag.

In short, I can pretty much get everything on the Catalina express in one roller bag/box and one small dufflebag/backpack. This includes all my essential equipment including drysuit, undergarments, regs, lights, etc. You carry tank (or tanks) on your back along with your backplate. This would be plenty for multiple days in Catalina.

I think with time, you'll get a better sense of what you really need to pack more efficiently. I would stick the backpack or extra small duffle bag on top of your roller bag/box which you are pulling. Also, if you are staying overnight, you don't need 4 different outfits and a whole bunch of clothes. You are likely in Catalina to dive and not attend formal functions. Leave the tuxedo at home. LOL!

I'll leave the backplate attached to the tank on the boat. Technically, I think the Catalina express wants you to keep the weights outside your roller box, so I would just leave it as is next to the roller bag. I'm only currently using 5 lbs in soft weights, so I might just throw this in the roller bag.

In short, I can pretty much get everything on the Catalina express in one roller bag/box and one small dufflebag/backpack. This includes all my essential equipment including drysuit, undergarments, regs, lights, etc. You carry tank (or tanks) on your back along with your backplate. This would be plenty for multiple days in Catalina.

I do only pack my essentials as far as dive gear goes when I go to catalina. I mean with scuba luv right there as well as catalina diver supplies truck/kiosk thingie I don't have to worry too much about not having the right tools. HOWEVER, I go to catalina to dive AND party/drink!! So I do need less grimy clothes and shoes afterwards. With a size 11Ž½-12 foot... an extra pair of shoes takes up a LOT of room. This is always a problem when I travel, my shoes take up 1/3 of my suitcase! This is also a problem with my fins! my jets just fit in the case and my atomics have to be bent a little! They don't even fit my Stahlsac unless I take the spring straps off!

I normally keep my weights outside of my bag as well. I can't really strap my bag to the top of my box since that's where I'll be putting my tanks. Although I guess I could just put the bags on top of that.

My tuxedo is under my drysuit of course!

I know Brian. I was just saying... Try the 50, and if you can't get that to work... time for a U-Hall!

I've posted this before but here it is again.
I use the larger Stanley and my wife uses the smaller one. I can carry all the extra stuff like towels, mats and extra clothes. It works out fine and BTW, I can bring them both on the King Neptune.

DSC00003_Small_.JPG

I think I might have to get the 50 for longer hauls! I just don't want to try lifting a full 50 gallon one stair to stair on say the great escape or the peace boat!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom