British nurse lost on dive - Red Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some of us get the PLB case from Custom Divers:

Here’s one for PLB1. I just don’t like that I can’t see if the case is leaking or not after a dive.

Attachments

• 2DAC73D7-7F1B-4B69-BA68-839E99DDE231.jpeg
    2DAC73D7-7F1B-4B69-BA68-839E99DDE231.jpeg
    40 KB · Views: 42
  • 2DB62796-E329-43F6-800E-F29102082A97.jpeg
    2DB62796-E329-43F6-800E-F29102082A97.jpeg
    51.2 KB · Views: 34
Interesting that the ACR View floats according to Don and the PLB1 needs a flotation jacket.

It would be tragic to carry a PLB and the one time one needs it, it sinks.
I think float jacket design is better. I leave the float jacket at home when I go hiking or skiing and put my PLB1 on the shoulder mounting kit and attach them on my belt or backpack like how it attaches to life jacket.

Some of us get the PLB case from Custom Divers:

Here’s one for PLB1. I just don’t like that I can’t see if the case is leaking or not after a dive.

That case is virtually impossible to open post-dive. The pressure cannot be released. I had one and finally dumped it in frustration.

That’s not a battle I want to fight when I need to get to the radio in an emergency.

That case is virtually impossible to open post-dive. The pressure cannot be released. I had one and finally dumped it in frustration.

That’s not a battle I want to fight when I need to get to the radio in an emergency.
My case is plastic with 2 different materials (Acrylic case & polyethylene lid). So, it’s more forgiving in terms of thread lockup.

When I prepare them, I put copious silicon grease over the threads and O-ring seal and barely tighten the lid. Once the O-ring contact faces are visibly flattened, then I stop tightening.

The whole assembly procedure is done inside cool AC room to make sure the air trapped inside the case is denser than when I’m floating on the surface under the sun.

At least I would let the sun bake the trapped air for a few minutes before I open the lid. Acrylic curve wall acts like magnifying glass and warm up the inside pretty quickly.

So far so good. I haven’t had any problem opening the lid.

I found you have to be careful NOT to close the case all the way. Leave maybe 20-30deg of rotation still open.

So I just tether it to PLB1
Extremely important. The two newest PLBs from ACR are buoyant in case of a fumble, but the PB1 is not.
View floats according to Don and the PLB1 needs a flotation jacket.
ACR used to make one that didn't float, but the other previous model and the two new ones do. ACR bought out PLB1, now makes it, and now backs if with their free replacement policy if used in an emergency. Submit with a good story and it'll go on their trophy wall.
I like the PLB1 being so small relative to the others.
I think that's an old video. The PLB1 is 3"x2.1"x1.3" and weighs 4 ounces. The ACR view is 4.52”x2.03”x1.49” and weighs 5.216 ounces. I was impressed as to how tiny the PLB1 was when it first came out, but all PLBs are small.
I had that happen once with a previous canister because it leaked a little, I didn't open it all week, and it filled with water. It didn't hurt the PLB, but I couldn't have opened it alone. Now I open my canister every day, but my Custom Divers canister hasn't leaked and opens easy. You want to sell yours?

I would guess that if one couldn't get the lid off in an emergency there would be a serious effort made with one's dive knife to make it happen.

I would guess that if one couldn't get the lid off in an emergency there would be a serious effort made with one's dive knife to make it happen.
Yeah, you'd think that. But I would guess you've never seen the Custom Divers canister. I doubt my dive knife could get into it.

That’s one reason that my case o-ring seal is exposed. I can slice up & remove the O-ring off the case if needed.

The O-ring seal faces are top & bottom. The side is exposed to the environment.

Back
Top Bottom