British nurse lost on dive - Red Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
A BRITISH nurse has gone missing on a scuba dive with her boyfriend.

Louise Houslip, 37, is feared to have been swept away by a freak current in the Red Sea on Friday.

The Egyptian military was last night continuing a huge search operation.

A source said: “She was out with a qualified guide and suddenly she just vanished.

“The waters are mild out there and divers have been known to survive for days.”

Experienced diver Louise, originally from Guernsey, was taking a break after helping train nurses for the Nightingale Hospital in London.

This type of report has me wondering whether a Nautilus Lifeline would have made the difference. I'm already at risk to look like a bit of a 'Christmas Tree' with the stuff hanging off me, but I do have to wonder. And of course there are the personal locator devices that are alternatives.

Hindsight's 20/20, as they say.

The main purpose of this forum is to learn from the misfortunes of others.

She could turn up as a living drifter, it's possible. The Red Sea is not as big as either ocean, and there is a lot of traffic as well as the searchers. I gave up on the Komodo drifters, but then they all turned up on the island fighting dragons.

Of course, if she was drifting with a registered PLB, this would be a happier story and a need for battery service or ACR trophy replacement program.

This seems to point out what I remark about after many simular situations and that has to do with , where was/is her buddy? Most divers do not practice the "buddy system" correctly and that might have prevented this from happening. At the very least, made retrial a lot easier. A PLB might also have helped.

This seems to point out what I remark about after many simular situations and that has to do with , where was/is her buddy? Most divers do not practice the "buddy system" correctly and that might have prevented this from happening. At the very least, made retrial a lot easier. A PLB might also have helped.

Lynne Flaherty (TS&M) was a very experienced diver. She and her husband (also very experienced diver) were diving a bucket list site in the PNW. They descended, hit the expected current, Peter looked away for just a splint second, and Lynne was gone. She was never found. This happened in 2015. So it can happen to anyone. Lynne was a GUE trained diver. If it can happen to her, it can happen to anyone. By all accounts, they were very good buddies.

Any idea which area or dive site this happened? i couldnt find that information in the article

My wife and I were diving in Cozumel...l can't recall the site. We were at about 80 feet. I came past a large rock on my right and entered a sandy sloping area. Before I could react I was caught by a current running upwards and to the left. I tried to swim back towards my wife and the other divers in our group but it was useless. My wife was concerned but the divemaster, who knew the area like the back of his hand, indicated that I would be fine and she should just stay with the group. He was right...I did my safety stop, surfaced, and contacted a nearby boat. The captain radioed my boat and I was picked up.

In this case there was nothing my buddy could do. I can see how in a different place and slightly different circumstances a diver could "disappear".

This type of report has me wondering whether a Nautilus Lifeline would have made the difference. I'm already at risk to look like a bit of a 'Christmas Tree' with the stuff hanging off me, but I do have to wonder. And of course there are the personal locator devices that are alternatives.

My signaling devices are small enough to fit in my BCD pockets and tethered every one of them (except DSMB) so when I pull them out of the pockets, they won’t sink to the abyss, even the lid & case of my PLB1.

The PLB1 is tethered to its floating jacket, so it won’t sink.

07E2B194-FC96-4313-85AB-6ED2D70AFDAE.jpeg
2B19D45F-5535-40E5-BF9C-70E493C2BE0A.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom