brand new to idea of scooters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, I would love to try one out first, but don’t know how I would find an opportunity to do that. I’m not considering a big heavy one though, seems like that would be overkill for out purposes.
If it is negative in Salt water it can be made neutral with little float add ons...I have seen them used before. If it's positive then you can stick on weights....did they say it was negative? And if so by how much?

If it is negative in Salt water it can be made neutral with little float add ons...I have seen them used before. If it's positive then you can stick on weights....did they say it was negative? And if so by how much?
They didn't say. I assumed that it was negative. Doesn't look big enough to have any air pockets.

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah belch prrrft!!!

What do the other divers do when I have no clue
What do I say when I have never tried one anyway

It's all about the patience and timeing is what I say

I dive this for half a dive, clip it to myself and still alive

IMG_0574.JPG

It is neutral that's what I say and I'll be doing it my way

full

For $500 cash

Scubadiving V ScubaBoard diving

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah belch cough prrrft!!!

But if I was splashing cash for intermittentcy, a small one would be something really flash!

002a.jpg

How to ride a not a real scooter Yeeeehaaaa!!!! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I think I'm going to be sick

I know almost nothing about scooters but am considering getting one now for my husband. He is less able to kick well if he has to cross a current, which will close off a lot of potential dive sites for us unless we can find a solution, such as a scooter. He wouldn't need anything fancy, but I wouldn't want to get something that wouldn't do the job either. Can someone make recommendations and/or tell me what characteristics to look for? Also, are scooters allowed on most dive boats? I've never seen anyone with one, so that makes me wonder.
I have very limited experience with scooters, and dating back almost 40 years, when I did build one, which did flood at the first dive....
So I cannot give you any serious advice on them.
But I am a finned-swimming instructor...
So I am wondering what is your husband's problem, making him "less able to kick well". I understand that answering to this question could mean disclosing something private regarding health or abilities of your husband, so if this makes you uncomfortable, please just ignore my post.
If instead you can provide more info, I think I can help pointing him to technical solutions and skills which will make him more than capable of "kicking well"...
Nowadays most diving instructors do not start, as me, as swimming instructors, then become finned swimming instructors, and then free diving instructors, and finally scuba diving instructors...
Having jumped over the first three steps of this ladder, makes them giving small relevance to proper swimming techniques, or breathing techniques, or hand propulsion techniques. And you see divers which are trained to very advanced technical topics, but who still have no proper control on their breathing or propulsion.
So I think that, before going with a scooter, we should try to bring your husband to the best propulsion capabilities using his muscles. And only when they do not suffice, he will need the help of electrical propulsion.

My Blacktip experience …

It’s a great scooter, wonderful in the water, neutrally buoyant, easy to clip off to a chest D-ring, masses of battery capacity, easy to use, lots of control over speed from slow to hold position against the current through too fast!

Is that enough Blacktip gushing?

On the boat it’s big, standing 80cm/28 inches tall. It’s quite heavy, certainly the weight of an ali80. It’s quite ungainly and awkward to move and control when moving around the boat and jumping off. Have to be careful when getting back on the diver lift/elevator especially if waves are hitting you.

In essence it is like having another ali80 stage cylinder. Fine for me as I’m often carrying two side-slung ali80s and rebreather.

However, for someone with weak legs or joints it’s a definite no-no.

They’d probably be better off with a far smaller, lighter and limited pool toy.

However this thread made me curious, as I am also getting old, and in a few years some help from electrical propulsion could become useful for me, too.
After a quick search on the Internet, this is what I would buy just now:

Yamaha is a renowned manufacturer of highly engineered devices (motorbikes, I own three of them. Pianos, and other musical instruments. Marine outboard engines. And advanced electronics devices, such as loudspeakers, power amplifiers, home-theater systems, etc.).
Despite the many reasons for NOT buying on Amazon, there is the nice fact that you can actually ship it back within 30 days with no justification and no cost...
So I would purchase this one, test it in a couple of dives, and if it does not fit your needs, send it back.

I have very limited experience with scooters, and dating back almost 40 years, when I did build one, which did flood at the first dive....
So I cannot give you any serious advice on them.
But I am a finned-swimming instructor...
So I am wondering what is your husband's problem, making him "less able to kick well". I understand that answering to this question could mean disclosing something private regarding health or abilities of your husband, so if this makes you uncomfortable, please just ignore my post.
If instead you can provide more info, I think I can help pointing him to technical solutions and skills which will make him more than capable of "kicking well"...
Nowadays most diving instructors do not start, as me, as swimming instructors, then become finned swimming instructors, and then free diving instructors, and finally scuba diving instructors...
Having jumped over the first three steps of this ladder, makes them giving small relevance to proper swimming techniques, or breathing techniques, or hand propulsion techniques. And you see divers which are trained to very advanced technical topics, but who still have no proper control on their breathing or propulsion.
So I think that, before going with a scooter, we should try to bring your husband to the best propulsion capabilities using his muscles. And only when they do not suffice, he will need the help of electrical propulsion.
He had knee replacement surgery. Since then, the knee will not straighten out all the way and the leg is weak. He has done lots of PT and at home exercise, but with very limited results.

However this thread made me curious, as I am also getting old, and in a few years some help from electrical propulsion could become useful for me, too.
After a quick search on the Internet, this is what I would buy just now:

Yamaha is a renowned manufacturer of highly engineered devices (motorbikes, I own three of them. Pianos, and other musical instruments. Marine outboard engines. And advanced electronics devices, such as loudspeakers, power amplifiers, home-theater systems, etc.).
Despite the many reasons for NOT buying on Amazon, there is the nice fact that you can actually ship it back within 30 days with no justification and no cost...
So I would purchase this one, test it in a couple of dives, and if it does not fit your needs, send it back.
That is actually a good idea for having a way to find out what it’s like to use a scooter without the commitment of buying.

Back
Top Bottom