BP/W is just a tool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It seems to me that the topic of this thread was completely exhausted quite some time ago, and the conversation has simply degenerated to off topic, unproductive personal jabs. Perhaps it is time to put it all to rest.

Seems BP/W is not the only tool around

That's for sure.

It seems to me that the topic of this thread was completely exhausted quite some time ago, and the conversation has simply degenerated to off topic, unproductive personal jabs. Perhaps it is time to put it all to rest.

People can't seem to just simply give advice or share information. They must pontificate and when their sermons are not heeded, then they'd resort to personal attacks.

Is there another company that makes a BC called Transpac?

I made one post lauding BP/wings. The vast majority of my posts to follow were in response to your juvenile rants which are trying the patience of others. Grow-Up!

Last edited:
I made on post lauding BP/wings. The vast majority of my posts to follow were in response to your juvenile rants which are trying the patience of others. Grow-Up!

My juvenile rants on what? That I'd dare to advocate for divers; newbies included, to think for themselves? That BPW is simply one of several forms of BCD that a diver can successfully execute a dive with?

You made a post claiming that the best divers use BPWs and that you have two in your dive locker. I then cited your post to establish my self-annointed status of expert diver because I also have two BPWs in my dive stash. :idk:

If you think that my posts are trying the patience of others, then what do you and the BPW kool-aid drinkers' posts do to the patience of others as well?

If you can't take it, then don't dish it out.

Hi All,

I'm a mid-experience diver (about 250 dives over 12 years). I own both a DSS BP/W (had it for one year) and a SeaQuest Balance (had it for twelve years). I love them both, and they both have good points and bad points.

The BP/W v BCD debate is like arguing over whether a pickup truck, sports car or SUV is better. The answer depends upon intended usage and personal preferences.

For the sake of new divers, (and those merely looking for new kinds of kit to buy), it'd be helpful for everyone to objectively post their experiences with each type and state the reasons that each is preferred. We are adults and should be able to disagree maturely.

When I was researching BP/Ws prior to my purchase, I found threads here and elsewhere with objective analyses of each and they were immensely helpful, as was Tobin's personal time with me on the telephone.

OK, I'm getting off my soapbox now. Thanks for reading and considering my comments.

DS

Hi All,

I'm a mid-experience diver (about 250 dives over 12 years). I own both a DSS BP/W (had it for one year) and a SeaQuest Balance (had it for twelve years). I love them both, and they both have good points and bad points.

The BP/W v BCD debate is like arguing over whether a pickup truck, sports car or SUV is better. The answer depends upon intended usage and personal preferences.

For the sake of new divers, (and those merely looking for new kinds of kit to buy), it'd be helpful for everyone to objectively post their experiences with each type and state the reasons that each is preferred. We are adults and should be able to disagree maturely.

When I was researching BP/Ws prior to my purchase, I found threads here and elsewhere with objective analyses of each and they were immensely helpful, as was Tobin's personal time with me on the telephone.

OK, I'm getting off my soapbox now. Thanks for reading and considering my comments.

DS

Thanks for the attempt to get back on track. I opened the thread to initiate more discussion because its a topic that new SB members will run across, and lately I've had a number of students inquiring.(Some of them are SB members.) While their has been some worthy discussion, there are 2 or 3 pages worth of bovine fecal material.:(

Like you, I find different advantages to both systems. After taking the advice given by some of the BP/W sages, I adjusted and tested (and today taught a class in) my BP/W and frankly can no longer identify any disadvantages with it.
Well...I still miss the pockets, and like I said before, I'm not going to be gluing one onto my wetsuit any time soon.
I still equally like my BC in warm water, but it is not so good when packed with weights for cold water. This makes the BP/W more versitile because while it was more than equal in my warm water pool tests, it hugely excells when matched with a thicker wetsuit or drysuit.

Back
Top Bottom