BP/W are banned! And other fun things I've learned on my first chartered dive ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod:
When the captain or the DM wants to use your gear for an impromptu show and tell (which is generally a soap box for them to make fun of you)
N

Tell him that if he touches it, you will punch him in the face very hard.
Problem sorted, (based on experience)

Phil TK

mislav:
:rofl: Excellent! Good stuff! Let's ditch our snorkels and wear our masks on foreheads!
Nemrod:
Thanks again, lol, please don't let me stop you!!!! :)
wardric:
it's been done :wink:
Yes, by me as well - all the time ever since I got certified by PADI. :D
1znwxhu.jpg

daniel f aleman:
As a Divemaster, if I see a rig that I don't like I tell the diver right away. I offer advice on how to make his rig dive boat compliant. If he doesn't comply, he doesn't dive.

Now, the one thing that I never do is comment on his rig, none of my business; and there are issues, both ethical and legal, that can result from direct DM to divers ad-hoc comments.

con·tra·dic·tion n.

• The act of contradicting.
  • A denial.
  • Inconsistency; discrepancy.
  • Something that contains contradictory elements.
  • daniel f aleman's post

I've been in a few interesting moments when diving. You have to be able to stand up and silence both know it alls and the think they have done it alls. One of my first boat diving trips a "more experienced diver" tried taking me under his wing and showing me a few things. the only problem he was a complete @$$ while doing such.

Well SeanQ,

You've violated TOS, let's see what our ever-delete button pushing mods do...

But to make my above post more clear: I tell the diver what he will need for the dive, whether open water, cave, deep, shark, etc. (There are dives that demand the use of a BP/W [tech and cave], and there are dives that don't.) Each dive has its own equipment needs. What I don't do is comment on is choice of equipment; it merits, brand, quality; nor his education (PADI vs ...), etc.

daniel f aleman:
Well SeanQ,

You've violated TOS, let's see what our ever-delete button pushing mods do...

But to make my above post more clear: I tell the diver what he will need for the dive, whether open water, cave, deep, shark, etc. (There are dives that demand the use of a BP/W [tech and cave], and there are dives that don't.) Each dive has its own equipment needs. What I don't do is comment on is choice of equipment; it merits, brand, quality; nor his education (PADI vs ...), etc.

This still reads like a contradiction. Try again?

daniel f aleman:
But to make my above post more clear:

How about a bit more clearer for us thick folks

daniel f aleman:
I offer advice on how to make his rig dive boat compliant. If he doesn't comply, he doesn't dive.
What would make a rig non-compliant? Duct tape holding his bc together? or using a BP/Wing on a reef?

jbichsel:
I've not read all the posts in this thread, but so far I think everyone has missed the value of 80 lbs of lift.
That much lift is so that when you want to surface, you can max inflate your BC/BPW at depth and you will totally clear the water upon surfacing. If your trajectory is correct, you will land feet first on the boat deck or shoot directly into the waiting med-evac helicopter.

WOW!:11:

See how I learn something new and cool everyday on scubaboard?

I MUST have one of these kine BCs! Reckon Scubatoys carries em?

Thanks so much!
Pamela:wink:

JeffG:
How about a bit more clearer for us thick folks

What would make a rig non-compliant? Duct tape holding his bc together? or using a BP/Wing on a reef?
jeff g your just too funny::lol:
:lol:

jbichsel:
That much lift is so that when you want to surface, you can max inflate your BC/BPW at depth and you will totally clear the water upon surfacing. If your trajectory is correct, you will land feet first on the boat deck or shoot directly into the waiting med-
evac helicopter.

SOMEONE here must have the graphic-editing ability to create a video of what this might look like.

A third-person view would be really neat.

A first-person view from the rocket-diver him/herself would be Oscar-worthy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom