BP/W are banned! And other fun things I've learned on my first chartered dive ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

daedalusx

Registered
Reaction score
This happened to me maybe 3-4 weeks ago, 100% true story; I'm not exaggerating and I'm pretty sure some of you met people like that.

Bit of background on myself; I'm PADI certified OW diver, got my cert last year. After I got my cert I started shopping for a good equipment and found this wonderful forum where I learned many many thing, I've been lurking for about 9 months here and I decided to go with the BP/W setup from DSS with the weight plates since I dive a 7mm and wanted to
get less lead on my belt. I'm 6'3 ~250 lbs and I had 15lbs on my belt, 6 on the stainless BP and 8.4 from the weight plates. I did a couple of dives in my pool to make sure I was properly weighted and I seriously loved how it felt. It felt so solid compared to the cheap rented jacket I had in cert, diving was now much more fun.

So I decided to get more dive under my belt before getting more training (advanced OW, deep & night diving and well maybe DIR-F one day) to get more experience with different situations underwater variable visibility, cold water, etc.

So I booked with a charter that my LDS was advertising. 2x 30 feets dives, 50$ and I had to bring 2 cylinder because they didn't do fills kinda expensive but I really wanted to do it. First real dive outside, meeting people, learning tons of new stuff from people better than me, all in all I was looking forward to that day.

Since I had a BP/W I though it would be wise to arrive early, and meet my diving buddy to explain him how my BC was different than him so in case something happened he knew what to do. The boat captain still hasn’t arrived so I started chatting with the divers there and I learned incredible intel.

------------------------------
From the "Charter Manager" girl

- She used special ink and special stickers when authenticating log books because people WILL counterfeit their dive book. She was also very angry other charter companies use a simple stamps; I mean anyone could counterfeit a stamp and stamp their own log books! Oh the humanity
- If you don't do 3 ink-authenticated logged dives per year you can loose your diving license.

----------------
From the 'big girl'
----------------

- If you're only OW certified and you dive under 50 feets the scuba police [yes she actually said that!] can catch you and give you a huge fine because it's totally illegal to go under 50 feets when you're not AOW.
- You have to have your snorkel at all times because if you don't that's also illegal.

---------------------------
From the 'overweight champ'
---------------------------

- Being 20 lbs overweight isn’t a big deal as long as you dive with your BC fully inflated. [He was maybe 160 lbs and had 40 LBS of LEAD!]

------------------------
From my new dive buddy
------------------------

- A bottom timer or computer isn’t needed as long as your buddy had one. (yeah I mean, why would I do my calculations when I could simply count on someone else. Makes perfect sense)

So big guy boat captains arrive.
I present myself and give my BP/W rig with the cylinder already attached.

Be careful, I say, it might be slightly heavier than the other rigs.

"How come?" he said.
- Well the plate is in stainless and there are weight plates.
"Oh well don't you know that's totally illegal to dive that kind of thing ?! Can you guess why? " He said with a superb condescending tone.
- I don't know ? well maybe because of the myth that the wing keeps divers face down but it doesn’t happens when you're correctly weighted and use appropriate air in the wing.
"That thing is totally homemade, it's so dangerous, it's so heavy if you fell unconscious I won't be able to bring you up"
- Wait a min, I said, the 8.4lbs plates have about the same neg buoyancy than steel 100 tanks
"Nah man you got it wrong, steel tanks are about 2-3 lbs negative your rig is totally homemade and it's illegal"
- Starting to get pissed, I answer: Hey man, look at it, first of all it's been made by Deep Sea Supply and calling it homemade is a real insult to the fine craftsmanship of the gear.
"OH MAN I CAN'T BELIEVE THE SCUBA INDUSTRY, THE AMERICANS INDUSTRY AGAIN THEY THROW ALL KIND OF NEW HI-TECH STUFF AND DON'T CARE ABOUT THE
SECURITY OF THE DIVERS, I'M SO PISSED THIS "THING" SHOULD NEVER HAD BEEN SOLD TO YOU HOW MUCH DID YOU PAY ?"
- Not expensive for what it is
"How much ?"
- ~800$ CAD that's a fair price for what it is. [Here you can pay as much as 1200$+ CAD for a Seaquest diamond BC, I have nothing against SQ but I wouldn’t pay 1200$ for one.]
"Yeah maybe". He says. "But what that kind of setup you're endangering the lives of everyone aboard"

Then I made the mistake of the day. I decided to get on that boat. I don't understand; usually I'm smarter, I would have said **** the 50$ I'm going home with my 2 fully filled cylinder and I'll have more fun practicing in my pool than diving with idiots. I made the terrible mistake to give it a shot.

And so we went.
5-8 minutes later we were already arrived at the diving site. It was a wooden wreck, no penetration, medium visibility, 50° F water temp.
I'm putting on my rig, opening the valves, doing the security check and then it hit me.
I see the boat captain putting my buddy’s octo INTO his BC pocket.
Maybe just an honest mistake I thought so I ask him
"Why are you putting his octo into his pocket?"
- Oh, well he doesn’t have anything to attach it so I put it there.

So for more than 5 minutes, this god damn super high-speed low drag elite boat captain lecture me on how I'm going to kill everyone on board by diving a BP/W on how insecure my setup was; intentionally puts my buddy spare air into his pocket. For me it was unbelievable, first thing we were always taught was to keep and emergency air visible, in plain sight for easy retrieval. So what do I do if I run out of air? I do the dude-i-need-air-asap-so-unzip-your-bc-pocket-if-you-can-find-the-zipper-and-unroll-the-octopus dance?

The dive itself was fine. For some reasons nobody died because of my rig. My SAC rate was the same as my buddy whose been diving for 2 years. I was pretty happy.
Then it was time for lunch. Captain ask me to get my BP/W because he wants to do a 'info-pause equipment'

We were all in circle, I was sitting there, eating my warm tasty beef ravioli MRE with hot sauce, wondering ... what now... and then he took my harness with the BP, stands up and said.

"Scuba industries always try to innovate; this time, they failed"

"I'm going to do the positive and negatives of that kind of setup"

"How much lift does it has?" He asks me.
- 40lbs.

"Insufficient lift, everyone should at least have 80 pounds of lift in their BC, I know from experience I've been diving for 9 years and everyone should at least have 80 pounds of lift"
"On the positive side it's back inflated and get you a good horizontal position underwater"
"Look at the rings, you all might think it's nice for attaching all kind of stuff but let me tell you, with rings if you dive a wreck dive you'll get stuck because of those rings"
[I was like NO WAY! I'm 6'3" 250 lbs, seriously I'm big, tall and it isn’t the d-ring that's gonna change if I get stuck or not on a tech penetration wreck dive.]
"IT'S BEEN MADE ONLY FOR TECH DIVERS, WHO ARE ALMOST ALWAYS PLAYING WITH THEIR LIVES UNDERWATER"
"THOSE TECH DIVERS OFTEN DIVE ALONE AND NEED THOSE D-RINGS BECAUSE THEY CARRY LOTS OF DECO-STAGES, IN FACT THEY LOOK LIKE SANTA CLAUS UNDERWATER" and then he starts to laugh. Go ahead ****bird, laugh at the people who are better than you are. He probably hasn’t heard of DIR divers. Not only they don't dive alone, but they have god-like control underwater. Another BS comment from Elite French Canadian Captain.
"Completely uncomfortable, look at the webbing, it's been made for dry-suits only and only tech divers dives with dry-suit anyway"
[Now that's a complete lie, he NEVER EVER tried it, and he can tell by the look how it's comfortable or not, give this guy a crystal ball and he might find us UBL. BTW I had the pro-fit harness installed on it and it ways more comfortable than anything I've tried at the LDS. Don't judge a book by it's cover; please.]

I know he said other stuff too, but I pretty much forgot anything else he said. Second dive went very well too.

Thinking about it back then, when it happened I was pissed, no I was really angry, that's the kind of thing that could make you loose interest for an activity, I was pissed than he would crucify me in front of everyone almost calling me a dumbass for buying such cheap equipment. It was my first chartered dive how do you think I felt underwater, I was totally unfocused always questioning myself for the choice I made.

Today I bring you this thread for your amusement, I'm not bitter, I don't care anymore, I just find it funny how you can fit so much ignorance in only a small day. I still dive my wonderful DSS rig, but I'll probably switch to hog harness in the next few weeks. I'll spend more time working on my trim and control diving easy places with friends and family until I get better. My only regret was that I wasn’t able to appropriately defend my gear and couldn’t really call out the boat captain on his stupidity because I don't have 100 hashes SHA-1 private-key-encrypted-digitally-authenticated logged dives.

Also fun facts from where I live.
- No LDS shop carries din reg in stock.
- No stainless bolt-snap, they prefer selling you ****ty 20$ shinny plastic attachment
- It's probably the only place in the world where divers are soooo superiors that we need 2 certification to dive (OW cert AND a government issued certification)

Also that post wasn’t written in my native language so please be kind on me for the grammar and stuff :)

Bless your heart!

That was friggin' funny yo

Where did this take place? Sorry if I missed it.

wow sounds like you had a bad time out on a dive charter. Don't let that stop you from diving, As I can see from your post the boat cap did not know a lot about scuba diving. The Bp/W has been around since the 70's, a lot longer than the BCD jacket style. I'm sure he would of had a fit with my hog set up and a 7' primary hose and Octo around my neck on a bungee. But like I said don't let any of this stop you. find a different boat to go out with and let you LDS know what happened so they stop sending divers out to him ( sound dangerous to me ).

Wow, what can I say??? I would have ripped into that guy, but that's me. Just remember the world is full of uneducated morons so just forget this bozo and move on.

Please post the location of this dive and the name of the charter so that the thousands of people who read this board will never be stuck on a boat that has a captain who is so stupid he is obviously endangering his passengers by his ignorance.

When you feel the need to defend the use of a bp/wing or a complete hogarthian type configuration reference the clean chest area, ease of weght distribution for good trim, lack of hose loops, long HP hoses and danglies in general (very streamline) with guages functionally placed where they can be seen without the need to hold onto a consol large enough to paddle a boat with on a hose long enough to enter a cattle roping contest, quick access to backup reg and easy donation of primary. In short is fixes about all the shortcommings of the WIDE range of sloppy configurations that are lumped into the "standard" catagory. Well, that's a start anyway. Personally, I think I could of had some fun with that guy. I'd especially like to get his take on why he thinks that you need 80 pounds of lift or how he justifies putting an octo in a pocket.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom