BP/W are banned! And other fun things I've learned on my first chartered dive ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LavaSurfer:
troll.gif

Yep

Zeeman:
Let's not let facts get in the way of a good story :D

Z...

sounds good to me :D

LavaSurfer:
I want to go diving with that outfit it sounds funner than a trip to disneyland
I will make sure to bring my DSS and some homemade flippers made out of plywood and bungee

Can you imagine what they would do if they saw a donut wing? with only 30lbs of lift?

Would have thought that part of the world was an ideal drysuit location...

Z...

LavaSurfer:
Well I don't want to go on the defensive but if you don't believe me, I'll scan you my padi OW cert card AND my govt issued cert card. Both from august last year.
Pics from my LDS who doesnt stock anything DIN and stainless bolt snaps
I'll send you pics of my BP/W rigs.
And pics of the dive site in st-paul

And I can even send scanned pics of the ad for the chartered dive with info on st-paul.

Incredible. The boat captain was so imbecile that now people can't believe someone said that. That's kinda recomforting for me...

Outrageous!

It's difficult to say what you should/could have done in retrospect, but something definitely needed to be done. One thing is certain - I'd never dive with that guy again. Not even if he paid me to. :shakehead

Truth/life is stranger than fiction.

the K

Well, it sounds like a great work of creative writing but I keep in mind an old Heinlein quote:

"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity."

So I suppose it coulda happened, as unlikely as it may seem.

and if this thread truly is not a Troll, then, my dear friends.. that captain is an Orc.

Z..

wstein:
never heard of any bc, bp/w, jacket, or backinflate having 80lbs of lift. the biggest I have seen is 45lbs of lift. guess that boat captain is on crack.

You can get wings up to about 100 pounds of lift. Just for reference though we've carried as many as 6 or 8 stage and decompression bottles along with other gear and my wife gets along with her 55 when doing it. I have a halcyon that's 70 but only because, when I baught it, there was a long wait for a 55. On very few occasions it was nice having more than 55 but so few that I'm sorry that I didn't wait for the 55.

I have a 36 pound single tank wing that's more than I'll ever need diving rec gear and I'd like to have a little 18 or something.

To put it in perspective, you should be neutral with a near empty tank. If you are, you need enough lift to counter the weight of the gas you carry. With an 80 cu ft tank that comes to about 6 pounds. This is why it is possible to dive without a BC at all as was done for many years and is still done by some divers especially those who dive vintage equipment. Any extra that you need should be due to gear being carried (most being ditcheable)...like when a technical diver needs to transport a bunch of full tanks and other equipment. Being heavy by the amount of gas you carry can mean being pretty heavy if you carry LOTS of gas but that's not something that most divers have to contend with.

The math is pretty straight forward and it's plain that the guy is a goof.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom