Purchasing a BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

P1Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello, my wife and I are fairly new to diving. AOW with 70+ dives. We have always rented our gear and always dove with jacket BCDs. But we are finally wanting to start buying gear so we don't have to rent gear, after our last trip cost us hundreds of dollars in rental costs. So after a bunch of research we feel like we want to go with BP/W and I think we will be going to get the XDeep NX Zen (still open to other recommendations), but my question is, we have never dove with BP/W and we are going to the Philippines in April to do a bunch of diving. And I am a little concerned with going there and it being the first time we use the BP/W when we get there, since we don't really have a way of testing them out where we live. Will this be an issue? Is there a chance that it will be something that we won't get accustomed to quickly? I have seen some people say that it takes time to get used to them, but will it be such a difference that it can ruin our dives? Thank you!

In my experience, it won't ruin your diving experience with new BP/W, if you can find someone to help you adjust the harness to fit you properly before your first dive. In the end, you will have to do some minor adjustment after each dive to match your preference.

Since you have to travel for dives, I recommend you get an aluminum backplate to save some weight.
I also would recommend you buy a weight integrator, so you don't have to wear weight belt under your BP/W.

A pool day is wise. But unless you really screw one up, there is no issue to get acclimated to.

Keep the harness kinda loose. Maybe get some help from a LDS.

I like Halcyon, DGX, Pirahna, and Helium.

If you’re worried about getting ready for the big trip in time, buy from your local shop with the caveat that they will give you some pool time and help you set it up. If you decide to buy online, break from the crowd, be a smart independent thinker and go Subgravity.

Youtube has many vids that cover BP/harness fitting and adjustment of the simple, single continuous webbing "Hogarthian" harness, as well as the "Deluxe". I've used both extensively, and like them both for different reasons. You will find strict adherents to both as well. FWIW, I started with a HOG, changed to a Deluxe, and went bsck to a HOG for the ultra simplicity of it's assembly and adjustment. You may find, as I did, that switching from jacket to BPW is relatively seamless. There are, of course, a few variables to choose from such as AL or SS, HOG/ Deluxe, and wing lift capacity. These variables will be determined, in part by the environment you dive in. Warm, salt water divers using minimal neoprene and AL tanks often choose SS BP, and wing with 25-30#. Traveling however, may dictate a lighter AL BP. Don't rush in to any purchases, and do some research before you buy.

I setup the cheap DGX stainless plate and wing. I put everything together watching a couple basic YouTube videos and adjusted the harness a few times checking out the fit and position on my back in the mirror after each adjustment.

It’s my first BP/W and I took it on the recent Philippines trip with no pool time prior. It took me around 5 minutes on the first dive to forget I was even using something different. I was surprised how much of a non event it was. I might make some minor adjustments now that the trip is done but I didn’t adjust it during the trip.

The only thing you may have to think about is using the hip valve on the wing but that took me about 1 dive to get used to.

Since you mentioned how many dives you have, I just hit the 100 mark on that trip, so pretty similar experience.

The only real adjustment you will need to work on will be dialing in new weight requirements. That should not be too time consuming but should be done in advance if possible.
Setting up the Bpw can be found easily on this site or the web. So that ends up the easy part.

I walked into my LDS and discovered a used BP/W at a giveaway price. The owner had some family health issues and had given up diving. It was an aluminum Dive-Rite plate (not currently produced) with Oxycheq wing and the continuous web belting system. I had to add a pair of trim weight pockets to the lower tank band and service/replace the inflator hose and the rubber washer in the inflator elbow and I was good. Took it to Florida and used it on a wreck dive by boat and one beach dive.

I only noticed it when gearing up and getting out of the water, but having the weights in pockets of the BP/W rig makes doffing and donning a bit of a chore… other than that, I really didn’t notice much difference when I actually used it. You will use a couple of pounds less lead because of the weight of the plate, more if it’s steel.

there is an extensive multi-episode video on You Tube that describes choosing, setting up, and using a BP/W very thoroughly at:

I wish I had watched it before I went through a lot of trial and error!

Froggie 🐸

I wish I had watched it before I went through a lot of trial and error!
Everyone dives different. There is no 100% correct way to set up a BPW. And that's the best thing about it because you can move, tweek, change, add, subtract and do anything you want. No good diver will walk up to you and say " That's Wrong " , Go ahead and put the wing on upside down like some tech divers with the inflator hose on the bottom. Someone may have an opinion but it doesn't mean anything if your setup works for your diving. I've changed mine a dozen times and continue to make changes and improvements over the last 25 years.

Back
Top Bottom