Bag Drag Update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We had to do bag drag to Cancun on Saturday for the first time ever. Our flight was cancelled out of Cozumel Saturday so only option we had was to leave out of Cancun. I have been traveling 3 to 4 times a year since 1996 and never had to bag drag. After the experience we had this time we will never do it again. I have never had items stolen out of my luggage in Cozumel but the first time we bag drag to Cancun I have items stolen from my luggage.

Sorry for your losses. In the FWIW category (and you have more travel experience than me), my expensive/critical equipment (regs, computer, lights, mask, analyzers) go in my carryon. That leaves my bc, exposure protection, fins, and reels at risk which are probably lower risk items when it comes to theft. I fly thru Cancun once a year so I have been more fortunate than you.

I just came back having used Cancun to get to Cozumel. Flew Southwest, then took Mayair to cross the channel. The scheduling on Mayair was great; timing worked just as advertised. They fly out of the FBO, so you have to take a shuttle bus (every 20 minutes) to get to the FBO terminal. Eat first; there's a private pilot's lounge where they MAY have sandwiches in the refrigerator, but there are tons of options to eat at the main terminal. Check-in is an hour before the flight, and the price for overweight (22 kg per person, not per bag) is very reasonable.

Equipment seems OK, though well-used, and there was some trouble starting on engine on the way back. However, they deboarded us, worked on it, and sent us on our way. Note that I'm reasonably familiar with aviation; once an engine starts, whatever made it hard to start generally isn't an issue any more, and they're twin engine airplanes, so there's a spare.

Looking at ferry options would also have been reasonable, as described above. You have to go to Playa Del Carmen, though.
Wendy P.
Thanks for the update. I have wanted to try it sometime but the timing has never been right for me. I wish they offered more flight times. If I have to wait much more than an hour I would rather be moving, even if it means it takes longer.

You said you only noticed the theft in DFW customs. So the theft could have just as easily occurred in DFW baggage as at CUN, right?

Thanks for the update. I have wanted to try it sometime but the timing has never been right for me. I wish they offered more flight times. If I have to wait much more than an hour I would rather be moving, even if it means it takes longer.
You folks in the Dallas or Houston area have non-stop flights to Cozumel. Us folks who always have to connect somewhere have an increased chance of being rerouted when we misconnect.

lol...an engine out “spare engine” on a multi engine airplane only takes you to the crash site slower than if both were turning.

We are certain it happened at Cancun airport because after the opened the bags they never re-snapped the straps on our dive gear bags. When we picked them up in DFW customs the straps where all hanging everywhere. They were not that way when we checked them at Cancun Airport.

I'm putting my money on DFW.

We had to do bag drag to Cancun on Saturday for the first time ever. Our flight was cancelled out of Cozumel Saturday so only option we had was to leave out of Cancun.
What about the option of staying another day on Cozumel? I was on Cozumel during the Swine Flu Scare and my return flight was cancelled. The airline tried to put me on a flight out the day before we were scheduled to leave. Nice try, but no way, José. :D

I will be doing the drag in about 10 days. First time since 2013. Let's hope for a smooth experience.

I travel alone and the drag is the way to go. I take the ADO from Cancun to Playa. The bus terminal is a shorter walk to the ferry than the XOXO where the taxis drop you off.

Back
Top Bottom