Bad breathing gas on liveaboard trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NICE !! I hadn't seen that Palm idea before here,,Thanks!. #LuvSBinfo's

I do not have a Palm analyzer but the fitting I linked screws right onto my O2 sensor that goes with my Miniox III. I believe the threads are 16 x 1.

I dream to one day get the HP flow limiter and install it inline with the fill station.. but that's too rich for my blood, lol;

I use one of these to test the gas I blend, I would assume it would at least improve the readings of whatever you're testing. My O2 reading were "variable" before I had a standard flow to test at.

It definitely would be a better choice since it would normalize the lpm. Problem is the reason I was emailing back and forth with sensorcon was because I was asking for their ideal flow rate to insure accuracy of analysis. They had no idea what it was and said they don't have that info because the original use for their product was in-air co readings. They saw the dive application as a secondary market but didn't put in the research to understand flow rates affect on readings

I do not have a Palm analyzer but the fitting I linked screws right onto my O2 sensor that goes with my Miniox III. I believe the threads are 16 x 1.

I dream to one day get the HP flow limiter and install it inline with the fill station.. but that's too rich for my blood, lol;

It's very easy to install an oxycheq inline on a fill station. I've had one on my fill station for 10 years. And if my old analox CO monitor is dead (it eats batteries), I can quickly steal the oxycheq and test individual tanks

It's very easy to install an oxycheq inline on a fill station. I've had one on my fill station for 10 years. And if my old analox CO monitor is dead (it eats batteries), I can quickly steal the oxycheq and test individual tanks

It has a fitting looks like this yeah?

It has a fitting looks like this yeah?
No. I use their inline flow restrictor. On one port on the fill manifold I added a fill valve so I can shut off the flow, then the flow restrictor. From the barb on the end of the flow restrictor I ran aquarium tubing to an aquarium tube splitter that then goes to both the CO analyzer and an oxygen analyzer for testing the final mix % ( to identify any hidden leaks in the compressor causing oxygen or helium loss)

CO doesn't stink, so that was not the problem.

I wonder, in all the talk about CO analyzers - those that went to the trouble to buy and use - not those that are speculating or have second, third, fourth, out to infinity-hand "heard from/knew of very highly regarded and absolutely reliable" -

How often has it returned a positive, valid warning that saved your life? Not could have *if* CO had been there (but wasn't but could have been, maybe).

Or is it more of a feel good solution?

I had a CO "dot" stuck on the panel of the Aeronca, but its cabin heating came into the cockpit through shrouds that kinda coaxially wrapped the exhaust manifolds... And if flying and it turned cute colors, I could just open the windows for fresh air.

OMMOHY

CO doesn't stink, so that was not the problem.

I wonder, in all the talk about CO analyzers - those that went to the trouble to buy and use - not those that are speculating or have second, third, fourth, out to infinity-hand "heard from/knew of very highly regarded and absolutely reliable" -

How often has it returned a positive, valid warning that saved your life? Not could have *if* CO had been there (but wasn't but could have been, maybe).

Or is it more of a feel good solution?

I had a CO "dot" stuck on the panel of the Aeronca, but its cabin heating came into the cockpit through shrouds that kinda coaxially wrapped the exhaust manifolds... And if flying and it turned cute colors, I could just open the windows for fresh air.

OMMOHY
Firstly, CO does not stink but hydrocarbons can. A system that is pumping hydrocarbons is potentially going to be passing CO along as well. The smell isn't an indicator of CO, but of a potential problem in the system that warrants investigation.
I have had about 5 bottles I've passed on due to CO on the sensor. I've never had anything higher than a 7, which theoretically you can dive. But if it's more than a 1 or 2 I'm not diving it. In the tanks I fill at home, if it's not zero then I won't breathe it (but I've never even had a 1 on home fills.
It is a feel good solution, but to a serious problem. Now that I analyze every tank, the couple of times I forgot my analyzer and didn't have one around it was in the back of my mind the whole dive. People have died simply because they didn't check their gas. That's dumb. Most of us wear our seatbelts every time we drive, but most of us rarely get in wrecks. Most of us also rarely find CO, but it's still smart to check.

Personally I am a huge fan boy for CO checking every single tank every single time. I'm not the norm, but I think I should be. I like everything about GUE, but I have a real problem with the fact that they have standardized safety policies for every aspect of the dive except CO testing. After taking fundies I actually emailed GUE to express my dissapointment that it is barely glossed over. In fact, I knew much more about CO than my instructor. Sadly I never heard back. It's the one bad thing I can say about my personal experiences with GUE/

No. I use their inline flow restrictor. On one port on the fill manifold I added a fill valve so I can shut off the flow, then the flow restrictor. From the barb on the end of the flow restrictor I ran aquarium tubing to an aquarium tube splitter that then goes to both the CO analyzer and an oxygen analyzer for testing the final mix % ( to identify any hidden leaks in the compressor causing oxygen or helium loss)

Gotcha.. so you just crack the valve a little and let it do it's thing. I like it. It's cheaper here (although I like ordering from Ed too);

Gotcha.. so you just crack the valve a little and let it do it's thing. I like it. It's cheaper here (although I like ordering from Ed too);

I just crack the line valve on the fill station full open. The limiter does the rest.

I don't order from John anymore unless I have no other option. He used to be great. He ended up losing a ton of staff and his customer service went extremely downhill because he became the one in charge of it. He screwed me on a $100 refund I've still yet to receive. He was once a great resource, now he's extremely hit or miss. And the chances of a timely response to your email is very low

I just crack the line valve on the fill station full open. The limiter does the rest.

I don't order from John anymore unless I have no other option. He used to be great. He ended up losing a ton of staff and his customer service went extremely downhill because he became the one in charge of it. He screwed me on a $100 refund I've still yet to receive. He was once a great resource, now he's extremely hit or miss. And the chances of a timely response to your email is very low
It's listed @ 3500psi, but I'm sure it can take a little more?...

Yeah, I have to agree there. I'm not sure what it was like before 2017, but it's hard to get emails responded to. I try to call, and that seems to work better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom