Question Overcoming acquired fear of diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CoolRabi

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi, I am your run of the mill vacation diver, SSI advanced open water license with about 25-28 dives, not sure exactly without checking. I used to have absolutely no issue with diving. I actually once became sick with dengue fever underwater while diving, and despite feeling bad, went back in tired and did not have any issue with the dive at all (was the last dive of my AOW and my instructor kind of pressured me).

However, two years ago, on Koh Tao, where I have dived many times before, I kind of felt especially fatigued, but made the mistake to go into the water. I Believe I was fatigued from a dive we made on the very previous day. Before jumping in, on board, I already had the feeling like I could not breath properly through the regulator. I hoped - big mistake - it would get better when I was underwater, but it did not. So I told my instructor on the surface I was attempting to dive, but that I might have issues so he should not be surprised if I have to go back up. Then we started the dive, I quickly had trouble breathing and went up again. We then took another attempt, very slowly, where I used the anchor robe to slowly descend. However, at about 5 m, I still felt like I could not breath properly, but this time, I panicked a little and went up immediately.

Ever since, when I go into the water, I get some anxiety about diving and that I can not breath properly. Mind you, this is completely psychologically. For example, I tried to dive a few times in Indonesia last year, but had some issues every single time. On one dive, the initial descend was okayish, but at about 10 m maybe, my fear started to return and I signaled this the instructor (I briefed him on my situation beforehand). We shortly tried to continue the dive, but I felt like the fear was getting too much. I signaled him I want to abort the dive, and as I said that and we got ready to ascend, I felt my fear completely vanishing. I then signaled to I'd try to continue and was able to finish the dive by holding the hand of the instructor and of my girlfriend most of the time.

While I am not a scuba addict, I like to do it occasionally and would love to dive again with my girlfriend. Do you have tips to overcome this fear? Did you have such fears before and overcame it?

Ever since, when I go into the water, I get some anxiety about diving and that I can not breath properly. Mind you, this is completely psychologically. For example, I tried to dive a few times in Indonesia last year, but had some issues every single time. On one dive, the initial descend was okayish, but at about 10 m maybe, my fear started to return and I signaled this the instructor (I briefed him on my situation beforehand). We shortly tried to continue the dive, but I felt like the fear was getting too much. I signaled him I want to abort the dive, and as I said that and we got ready to ascend, I felt my fear completely vanishing. I then signaled to I'd try to continue and was able to finish the dive by holding the hand of the instructor and of my girlfriend most of the time.

While I am not a scuba addict, I like to do it occasionally and would love to dive again with my girlfriend. Do you have tips to overcome this fear? Did you have such fears before and overcame it?
My wife had this issue for a while. For some reason, she developed severe anxiety on the surface after zero previous fear/anxiety issues and had been diving for years. She literally didn't dive for years because of it. Then, we were in the Bahamas snorkeling of our own boat by ourselves on a little reef and thought it would make a good dive. It was 20 feet, crystal clear, on our own time frame, etc. We called a local shop, rented gear and went back out to that reef. No pressure, no rush, no expectations, super shallow....We did that for about 3 days and that did it. It reminded her why she loved diving so much, and it was FUN.

I'd recommend doing a private dive or, if you can, getting out on a shore dive with just your girlfriend. No time schedule, choose a super easy dive, and just take your time. It may work. I've seen it happen for more than one person. The dive anxiety, with added worry about scratching the dive and ruining someone else's fun, etc. wasting the money on the charter and "forcing" the issue can add up. I get it, but it's supposed to be fun! :) Don't make it a chore and maybe it'll help. Good luck and happy diving!

I had a family member with similar issues, after a rough experience in BC, some years back; and she solved it by futzing with her scuba gear in a swimming pool setting at her leisure; just swimming back and forth and lounging around underwater -- though it really did matter that her gear was in great working order and there were no breathing difficulties to contend with, since, sadly, rental gear is often a bad roll of the dice.

If you're vacation divers only, I would suggest some pool that would allow some scuba use -- say, that of a local dive shop itself, or wherever else they may perform their pool training . . .

i applaud you for reaching out to ask for help. many people feel ashamed or too embarrassed to discuss these things openly.

i had a very similar experience years ago. it took me a very long time to get past it. i even went on to become an instructor.

you certainly have done the right thing by letting your guide/instructor know ahead of time about your issues. this is very important and can help avoid turning a relatively simple problem into a possible disaster. so good for you.

my only advice may sound too simple but it is true. you have to take it sloooowwww.

consider perhaps spending time just in the pool with a local dive club or diver shop. or of you have the chance to do ow dives, choose the easiest, shallowest dives possible.

the key to controlling your anxiety is......recognizing your problem, understanding what your triggers are, and learning to work your mind through the issue when it comes up.

i still to this day have times when that little devils voice starts talking in my ear about all the bad things that are going to happen on this dive etc.

for me, i had to learn to break the cycle that my mind would get stuck on. there is nothing worse than what goes on inside your head just wont stop. my only means to control that was to focus on something else.

i could start communicating with my wife (my buddy) about all the different fish for example. focus on what type they are, what colour they are, and how to use signs to discuss that with her. or if i had my camera with me, i would start messing with the settings, reading the screen etc, anything to shift the focus from inside your head to something external that has nothing to do with your bad thoughts.

the only other advise is to always pay close attention to your breathing when the anxiety happens. you have to control your breathing. sometimes it only takes 10 secs or less before you can feel the difference if you slow your breathing and make sure to fully exhale.

btw.....having to hold someone's hand is a natural way to calm them down. it could even be something simple like contact with a rock, or an anchor line etc. the human brain is a funny thing.

Thank you so much guys! I contact a local dive club and will see if I can go "solo" in super shallow water with my girlfriend during our trip :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom