Bad breathing gas on liveaboard trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This should serve as a lesson to everyone that reads it to take gas analysis very serious. Compressor issue could have easily led to a co hit on someone. I never breathe a tank unless it’s oxygen and co analyzed.
Sounds like there may have been hydrocarbons in the mixes.
If you don’t get a refund you should be pissed

Would the tanks be considered "safe" if nothing came up on a test? I know there's a lot of people that wouldn't risk it, but what is the risk if there's nothing but a less than ideal taste?

My nose / sense of smell is fubar. Outside of testing I don't really have a way of knowing unless it's really potent. That's why I ask.

I think this thread is in the right place. Thumbs Down is a place to vent, without necessarily expecting a resolution.
While I appreciate the optimism that there will be some acceptance of responsibility, I do not share it. The only penalty that is likely to change this dive operator‘s reaction is public shaming and profit loss. They’ve already demonstrated no interest in doing the right thing. I hope I’m wrong and the interest of the larger corporation is different than the boat.

Can you give info on where to get a CO monitor that works for scuba?
Recommend looking at a Sensorcon. Lots of info on scubaboard and many of us find it effective and a great value. My group mostly have small compressors and I’ve seen more than one of us with a gas engine who had to make adjustments to the intake after testing with my sensorcon.

Would the tanks be considered "safe" if nothing came up on a test?
If it was found out to be safe after a lab test for grade "E" Scuba air, then yes. Only testing for CO proves it’s not likely to be immediately deadly but doesn’t eliminate other contaminants that can smell bad and injure a divers lungs or damage steel tanks.

While I appreciate the optimism that there will be some acceptance of responsibility, I do not share it. The only penalty that is likely to change this dive operator‘s reaction is public shaming and profit loss. They’ve already demonstrated no interest in doing the right thing. I hope I’m wrong and the interest of the larger corporation is different than the boat.

Recommend looking at a Sensorcon. Lots of info on scubaboard and many of us find it effective and a great value. My group mostly have small compressors and I’ve seen more than one of us with a gas engine who had to make adjustments to the intake after testing with my sensorcon.

If it was found out to be safe after a lab test for grade "E" Scuba air, then yes. Only testing for CO proves it’s not likely to be immediately deadly but doesn’t eliminate other contaminants that can smell bad and injure a divers lungs or damage steel tanks.
Thanks.

Should mention Sensorcon also tends to go on sale around the holidays... I believe the next big sale would be July 4th. I think it's like 25% off?

Would the tanks be considered "safe" if nothing came up on a test? I know there's a lot of people that wouldn't risk it, but what is the risk if there's nothing but a less than ideal taste?

My nose / sense of smell is fubar. Outside of testing I don't really have a way of knowing unless it's really potent. That's why I ask.
If it passes CO and Oxygen but tastes funny I still won't dive it. But at least if you're someone that would you will know you won't fall asleep underwater from CO

Thanks.

Should mention Sensorcon also tends to go on sale around the holidays... I believe the next big sale would be July 4th. I think it's like 25% off?
Sensorcons are substandard for diving imo. They are not highly accurate and their accuracy is highly dependent on flow rate. You can get false positives and negatives. I will see if I can find my email from a few years back from sensorcon where they clearly told me that they are aware of the accuracy issues in scuba applications but there wasn't anything they'd do about it as scuba was an after thought as a secondary market.
Don't get me wrong, a sensorcon is better than nothing but I personally don't trust them after my experience and the experiences of people I know who have them. If you're spending the money and committing to testing every tank for CO, the one marie posted or an oxycheq are much better options

Sensorcons are substandard for diving imo. They are not highly accurate and their accuracy is highly dependent on flow rate. You can get false positives and negatives. I will see if I can find my email from a few years back from sensorcon where they clearly told me that they are aware of the accuracy issues in scuba applications but there wasn't anything they'd do about it as scuba was an after thought as a secondary market.
Don't get me wrong, a sensorcon is better than nothing but I personally don't trust them after my experience and the experiences of people I know who have them. If you're spending the money and committing to testing every tank for CO, the one marie posted or an oxycheq are much better options

I do not have any experience with them...I just know people use them and they go on sale.

They are not highly accurate and their accuracy is highly dependent on flow rate.

I use one of these to test the gas I blend, I would assume it would at least improve the readings of whatever you're testing. My O2 reading were "variable" before I had a standard flow to test at.

I use one of these....My O2 reading were "variable" before I had a standard flow to test at.
NICE !! I hadn't seen that Palm idea before here,,Thanks!. #LuvSBinfo's

I do not have any experience with them...I just know people use them and they go on sale.
No worries. They just get brought up here alot and I even bought one a few years back because of the glowing reviews. Outside of scubaboard, I find more people dissatisfied with them than happy with them. The real reason they're popular is they're cheap. But again, testing is better than not testing. I just like to make sure people are properly educated on the reality of sensorcon. If you're comfortable with possibly unreliable results, then the sensorcon is fine. I personally won't use them

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom