Atomic users

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So 41 replies and only a few actually answer the OP's question.

I always recommend a sealed reg because they are easier to keep clean. OP mentioned lakes and queries. I have yet to hear of one of those that doesn't meet to temperature at which sealed regs are recommend.

I have a z2 on order so I haven't actually owned one yet. However I know several people with atomic regs and they have had zero issues with them.

So 41 replies and only a few actually answer the OP's question.
For the OP. AA regs all have the same design so breath the same when tuned properly. After it comes down to bling, with two exceptions. The Z2 first stage does not have a swivel turret whereas all others do. The swivel turret makes hose routing a wee but easier. The other is a swivel hose on the second stage which can take some of the strain off how the reg fits in one's mouth. A mil-flex hose often solves that too.

Do not be afraid to buy used (especially if shopping for a dishwasher too). One can often buy a used reg and have it fully rebuilt with a new color kit for half the price of new reg).

My wife and I both have Atomic ST1 regulators.
Haven't used them for too long (30+ dives) but they have been trouble free and breathing with them is comfortable.
A number of shops I've encountered use Atomic regulators in their rental program.

I am skeptical of anyone who says that Atomic regulators are not high quality or suitable for diving in the ocean.

@Tracerbullet a few questions.

Are you a dyed-in-the-wool DIYer who would prefer to do service yourself or "that's a pro's job"?

Does it have to be the "best" or is 95%+ performance for 50% of the price more your speed?

How much does weight and size matter for traveling - for you?

If your handle is any indication of other interests, you probably know that it never ends with "one" and only after several iterations do you converge on the best match for you. And then something "new" or "better" comes out.

Also, I can't believe no one has mentioned it yet, but you may want to consider waiting until after your first round of certification (Open Water) to actually buy. You'll have a better feel for what you may want and will be past the first point of unexpected derailment.

Could you or Tbone point me in another direction as where to look? Any recommendations for me to do more research?
The comments arguing against what I wrote are not wrong in that in reality it is not a serious issue. It is something you have to be aware of and make sure that you pay extra attention to soak them when you get back from diving in the salty stuff. If you choose to go with the sealed Atomics then IMO you are just pissing money away by buying one of the most expensive regulators out there and then paying an obscene amount of money every time you service them to put a bunch of goop around the piston but that's my opinion.
There is no practical benefit of pistons in todays age and sealed diaphragms being lower maintenance regulators is not something that is up for debate. I choose sealed diaphragms and recommend them because the first stages are pretty much idiot proof when it comes to maintenance from salt water and that is very valuable.

I personally am diving Deep6 Signature regulators these days for the most part. I find they are the best value for the money and they have the lowest cost of ownership in the industry. Performance is on par with all of the top regulators on the market but for me the ease of maintenance *sealed diaphragm means just hosing off the first stages and putting the hose in the mouthpiece of the second vs. having to soak the first stages*, the fact that the first service is included free of charge, and if you take the repair course from them you get free parts for life it was really a no brainer for me and I dumped about 12 sets of Scubapro and Apeks regulators and replaced them with Deep6 Signatures.

The comments arguing against what I wrote are not wrong in that in reality it is not a serious issue. It is something you have to be aware of and make sure that you pay extra attention to soak them when you get back from diving in the salty stuff.
I would caution that with the Atomics, soaking pressurized is a very good idea. When off the cylinder, the second stage seat saver orifice can work against you. Without the cylinder pressure, the 2nd is no longer sealed, so water could travel down the lines into the 1st. Keeping the 1st above the second will work, but soaking pressurized is easier, and not a bad idea for any reg.
If you choose to go with the sealed Atomics then IMO you are just pissing money away by buying one of the most expensive regulators out there and then paying an obscene amount of money every time you service them to put a bunch of goop around the piston but that's my opinion.
Yep, the lube adds cost that is really not necessary as there are better solutions.
There is no practical benefit of pistons in todays age and sealed diaphragms being lower maintenance regulators is not something that is up for debate. I choose sealed diaphragms and recommend them because the first stages are pretty much idiot proof when it comes to maintenance from salt water and that is very valuable.
Sealed diaphragms definitely make things easier, especially if diving in saltwater. I’ve got 3 sealed diaphragms in the family kit. The oldest is just under 20 years old. The 1sts get rinsed, the seconds get soaked pressurized, and at service time, it is rare that the tech doesn’t remark on the cleanliness.

If you choose to go with the sealed Atomics then IMO you are just pissing money away by buying one of the most expensive regulators out there and then paying an obscene amount of money every time you service them to put a bunch of goop around the piston but that's my opinion.
It looks like the sealed Atomic Z2 sells for $550. , 50 dollars more than the non sealed version. No swivel.
The Sherwood SR2 retails for $740. The Sherwood does have the swivel head.
For some reason I was not able to find a basic 1st-2nd combo on the Deep 6 site, but adding a SPG and inflator hose comes to $580. Comes with the swivel turret. Cheaper than the Atomic, but not by much.
All three have a recommended service interval of 2 years.

It looks like the sealed Atomic Z2 sells for $550. , 50 dollars more than the non sealed version.
The Sherwood SR2 retails for $740.
For some reason I was not able to find a basic 1st-2nd combo on the Deep 6 site, but adding a SPG and inflator hose comes to $580. Cheaper than the Atomic, but not by much.
cost of ownership in the long run is much higher with Atomic due to parts costs and if you have the sealed version the premium to pack them.
A la cart on the Deep6 is $480. The Signature is a premium regulator and it costs a LOT of money to manufacture compared to others made at ODS because the internal components are higher quality and the coating used is very expensive to put on. It makes an extremely durable regulator and one that breathes much better than its direct competition. I would certainly place it above the Z2/3 from Atomic, especially after the Huish takeover

I am getting into the sport and I like having my own equipment. I can configure it to my liking and that helps with memory and habit.
I have been extensively reading about regulators and have decided on Atomic. ( was a toss up between then and ScubaPro)
I live in Pa. and most of my diving will be in the mid Atlantic and if I am lucky one trip per year to the Caribbean. I don’t see myself diving in freezing water.
So majority will be lake, quarry, and Atlantic Ocean.

model?

thanks for your insight
The urban legend says that a couple Scubapro engineers left and started Atomic Aquatics...

I use an Atomic SS1 as an alternate on one of my BCDs and a 5th Generation Air 2 on another.
I prefer the Atomic as it breathes like a normal regulator. The Scubapro's mouthpiece is harder and bothers me on the gums. Breathing is good enough but not as good as the Atomic.

Regarding my regs, I only dive Scubapro (Mk 17 & Mk 25) and I can ensure you they are simply amazing. I tried the Atomic Z2 before buying the Mk 25. Back then Atomic was nowhere to be found in EU so that was the deciding factor AND I didn't knew if Atomic would stick around as they were a relatively new and unknown company... I am glad my fears were debunked.
I've also tried many low / mid range regs from Mares, Aqualung and Cressi in several occasions. They are all fine but I could always find little things that bothered me. Again, I am used to Scubapro regs so if I was diving another brand, I would probably have the same feeling... just for fun, I believe they broke their own world record having 135 divers breathing simultaneously from one MK 25 1st stage. Talking Mk 25, it is a legendary piston regulator that is not environmentally sealed, Atomic's 1st stages are sealed. Not a big deal - if you ask me - unless you dive in dirty waters. Atomic also has a swivel on their 2nd stages, if you are going to keep the original rubber hoses, that makes a slight difference but also another potential failure point. If you switch to any Myflex braided hoses, the 'advantage' is gone.

To be fair, all, high-end regs from every brand will perform similarly and as diving is fun, buy what makes you happy and / or what you like. [The only peculiar set I've tried is Poseidon (a whole different thread)].

IMO, you have to check how easy they are to service and what service intervals they require. Atomic Aquatics are ultra-high end, that might spill to the maintenance also. Scubapro has great customer service, no experience with Atomic so far. Also, mind that in many areas dive centers trade with specific brands, if you decide to spontaneously travel somewhere and didn't service your regulator proactively, you might encounter that the service point doesn't has the parts or expertise to work on Atomic regs. They are kind of a niche.

Closing, as you are mentioning expensive brands, I would also have a look at the latest incarnation of the Aqualung Legend, that set looks incredible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom