Atomic users

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tracerbullet

Contributor
Reaction score
I am getting into the sport and I like having my own equipment. I can configure it to my liking and that helps with memory and habit.
I have been extensively reading about regulators and have decided on Atomic. ( was a toss up between then and ScubaPro)
I live in Pa. and most of my diving will be in the mid Atlantic and if I am lucky one trip per year to the Caribbean. I don’t see myself diving in freezing water.
So majority will be lake, quarry, and Atlantic Ocean.

model?

thanks for your insight

Get one that is cold water rated. The only difference is metal they are made from and some have a swivel.

I am getting into the sport and I like having my own equipment. I can configure it to my liking and that helps with memory and habit.
I have been extensively reading about regulators and have decided on Atomic. ( was a toss up between then and ScubaPro)
I live in Pa. and most of my diving will be in the mid Atlantic and if I am lucky one trip per year to the Caribbean. I don’t see myself diving in freezing water.
So majority will be lake, quarry, and Atlantic Ocean.

model?

thanks for your insight
Where in PA are you? I'd strongly recommend going to find John at Northeast Scuba Supply if you are anywhere near the Philly area. I would also strongly against Atomic if you're doing primarily ocean diving, they're annoying to keep salt out of on those long boat rides. Sealed diaphragms will be much better or you.

What tbone said. Atomic are nice regs. As are ScubaPro, but there are other options out there that are not as pricey, will do just as well if not better in some cases, and will do what you want them to do.
Atomic and SP to some extent do have the bling factor and "big name recognition" thing but that has little to do with functionality.
If you're made of money and don't care about dropping that kind of cash on a reg, go for it. I wouldn't because I'd rather spend the money actually diving and have the option to service my own gear.

I would also strongly against Atomic if you're doing primarily ocean diving, they're annoying to keep salt out of on those long boat rides.
Got a question (and since despite reading about them I've never been able to comprehend how 1st stages work, I may not be able to understand the answer). I'm guessing on the long boat ride salt gets into the first stage from salt spray as the boat moves?

But...when the diver goes into the water, doesn't salt water go in everywhere the salt spray could've gotten in anyway?

The recommendation with Atomics is to not rinse tank dunk the 1st and 2nd stage simultaneously when the reg. is not on a tank and pressurized, because the same design that allows extended service intervals creates a vulnerability for water to 'back flow' from 2nd stage through hose into 1st stage (some place it's not supposed to be). Should Atomic Aquatics reg. owners be sure to put their reg. on a tank and pressurize it before heading out?

After all, most diving is done by boat, and even short trips must add up.

What tbone said. Atomic are nice regs. As are ScubaPro, but there are other options out there that are not as pricey, will do just as well if not better in some cases, and will do what you want them to do.
Atomic and SP to some extent do have the bling factor and "big name recognition" thing but that has little to do with functionality.
If you're made of money and don't care about dropping that kind of cash on a reg, go for it. I wouldn't because I'd rather spend the money actually diving and have the option to service my own gear.
Could you or Tbone point me in another direction as where to look? Any recommendations for me to do more research?

I have been diving Atomics since the day they came out....Zero issues however I always use the sealed first stage. The Atomic M1 would suit him just fine

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom