Athens Camping Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

c-monkey

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone have issues camping at Athens lately? Their website doesnt say anything about camping only being allowed on Friday & Saturday night, yet my husband and freinds were asked to leave this morning... whats the deal? I sent them the following email- but it was returned due to "account inactive":

Last night my husband drove all the way from Austin to Athens Scuba Park with his brother and a friend to camp and enjoy the diving. They were going to dive all day today and then return to Austin tonight. First thing this morning, Calvin arrived and asked them to leave stating that camping isnt allowed during the week. They were very polite in expressing their confusion on the issue and apologized. Calvin said "well let me get some coffee and maybe I'll get over it", but when they went up to the shop to pay all the fees and get fills, he said "Nope I'm just gonna have to ask you to leave". Rather than get in an argument, they packed up and are on their way back home now. I am very angry and upset about this (as are they). Your website and phone info message do not state that camping is only allowed Friday & Saturday. Had a notice been posted on the website they would NOT have made the long drive out there mid-week. Had a notice been posted on the gate or on the property- they would have respected it and stayed in a hotel last night then come in to dive during the day. They were very considerate in their use of the grounds and facilities, and of Calvin when he arrived this morning. I see no reason for this treatment and am completely flabbergasted at the logic behind asking them to leave. This was a 1st visit for all 3 of them and would have led to more visits with many other divers including myself. Due to this unpleasant and frustrating experience we will not be visiting Athens in the future. We will also be warning all other divers away from this park with it's secret rules and unprofessional operators.

If in Austin, there is mansfield dam and windy point, I wouldn't waste the gas money driving up to Athens, I'm never going back because of service, and I'm sick of my gear coming out of the water nasty green.

FIXXERVI6:
If in Austin, there is mansfield dam and windy point, I wouldn't waste the gas money driving up to Athens, I'm never going back because of service, and I'm sick of my gear coming out of the water nasty green.

Yea we were just wanting to try out some of the other local places for something different since we dive so much all over Lake Travis...
Oh well, we wont be going back to Athens, what a waste of time!

Lukiedukie:
I am interested in their reply. If it is possible please post it.

Unfortunately my email was returned as undeliverable-- it says "account inactive". I sent it directly from their website so I dont know what the problem is. I see that they have a fax number listed, so we'll probably print out the email and fax it. I'll post any response.
The guys just got home after a 4-hour return drive a little while ago-- very tired and understandably upset. Apparently Calvin was a real jerk to them. What a pig. AND the crappy water turned their gear green. Go figure.

If you're going to drive that far to dive, come join us at Clear Springs, about 30 miles east of Dallas, for a weekend of diving. We'd be happy to dive with you guys.

Hmmm... I can say that doesn't sound like the Calvin that I met when I was there a few weeks ago. All of my experience with him was that he was friendly and courteous. I would like to see him charge less for air fills, but I don't have to dive there either :)

Now, the web site does say that it's open Wed-Fri and Sat/Sun, meaning, according to the website, that the park would have had to have been closed last night.. Was the gate open last night? Surely your husband would not have opened a locked or closed gate.

If the gate was open, I think Calvin could have seen his way clear to chalking it up as a misunderstanding, and making sure the rules were crystal clear, and not going so far as to throw him out.

I, too, would be interested in seeing Calvin's response, but...well...if I can say this as gently as possible, there were some pretty harsh words thrown around in this thread...I'm sure Calvin reads this board, and if he had cooled off enough to post or email a response, he might be less inclined to do so now.

Just my 2psi

--'Goose

My impression from going out there several times is that it depends what side of the bed Calvin wakes up on that day, sounds like your hubby got the wrong side treatment.

Some days Calvin is very cool (as he came across to mongoose), other days it's easy to see why he has a bad rep.

I've been on both sides, the most recent of which convinced me it was time to drive a little further east and go to Clear Springs from now on.

Aggie Diver:
My impression from going out there several times is that it depends what side of the bed Calvin wakes up on that day, sounds like your hubby got the wrong side treatment.

Some days Calvin is very cool (as he came across to mongoose), other days it's easy to see why he has a bad rep.

I've been on both sides, the most recent of which convinced me it was time to drive a little further east and go to Clear Springs from now on.

I agree and have been there several times. Most recently had two bad experiences. We will NOT return to Athens rip-off park. I have a group of friends that goes diving with us every other weekend ,8 of us we all agreed never to go to Athens and every chance we get in our local dive shop socials we inform others of the bad treatment and how they gouge your for money at Athens. What do they think they have their anyway a gold mine? please... There is no excuse to treat patrons badly no matter what his so-called mood is. It is the patrons that pay their bills and from what I have seen on the board as well as speaking to many other divers he will loose more business. :wink:

Intelligence statistics........If you heard it, the probability that it is true is 70 per cent.

I won't go.

Regards,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom