Athens Camping Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To play devil's advocate on the "gate" thing, I know both Windy Point and Mansfield are fine with you arriving late, as long as you pay first thing in the morning.

Sounds like they even offered to pay up for the night dive/camping, and he still pulled a Calvin on them.

My friend… Based on the few places I have had the pleasure to dive (and they are very few indeed), I have noticed things are “a little different” at each locale. The fact that you assumed ASP and WP were in any way operated the same seems to be the beginning of your downward spiral into dissatisfaction. I too have been to WP, and EVERYTIME time I even think about going there (it is 3.5 hours for me) I call and talk to Richard. I double check conditions, dates, times, costs, etc. In fact, I do the same with ASP and CSSP now that I think about it. Last year I had quite an email and phone exchange with some wonderful people in Mexico before I arrived. Heck, I even call the local dive shop before I come out and play in the pool.

When I half-jokingly referred to my apartment, I was trying to make you see how silly you sound when you try to lay the blame on Calvin. You looked at a web site, completely missed what it said, never called for clarification before driving from Austin to Athens, and “assumed” Calvin lives by the same creed as Richard. Then, to top it all off, you lay the blame on Calvin, and make defaming statements about him here.

Why should Calvin be required to “take your money and call it water under the bridge”? Once again, you are basing your customer satisfaction expectations on an entirely different operation, in a MUCH different environment.

The only reason I even replied to this thread was to try to point these things out… I am sorry that I failed. I will stop trying.

We all know what assumptions do; you appear to have just received a first hand lesson.

CharleyT:
My friend… Based on the few places I have had the pleasure to dive (and they are very few indeed), I have noticed things are “a little different” at each locale. The fact that you assumed ASP and WP were in any way operated the same seems to be the beginning of your downward spiral into dissatisfaction. I too have been to WP, and EVERYTIME time I even think about going there (it is 3.5 hours for me) I call and talk to Richard. I double check conditions, dates, times, costs, etc. In fact, I do the same with ASP and CSSP now that I think about it. Last year I had quite an email and phone exchange with some wonderful people in Mexico before I arrived. Heck, I even call the local dive shop before I come out and play in the pool.

When I half-jokingly referred to my apartment, I was trying to make you see how silly you sound when you try to lay the blame on Calvin. You looked at a web site, completely missed what it said, never called for clarification before driving from Austin to Athens, and “assumed” Calvin lives by the same creed as Richard. Then, to top it all off, you lay the blame on Calvin, and make defaming statements about him here.

Why should Calvin be required to “take your money and call it water under the bridge”? Once again, you are basing your customer satisfaction expectations on an entirely different operation, in a MUCH different environment.

The only reason I even replied to this thread was to try to point these things out… I am sorry that I failed. I will stop trying.

We all know what assumptions do; you appear to have just received a first hand lesson.

"After Scuba Shop Hours
Arrival in the evening after shop closes is considered camping or night diving."
http://www.athensscubapark.com/scubapark.htm

This statement, from ASP website is misleading, I think we can agree on that. I think that in the spirit of customer service, a better response from the managment should have been showed. Worse case senario for the management is a lost customer and bad word of mouth...which is exactly what happened. Personally, I would not drive to ASP from Houston to dive just based on their prices and the fact that Twin Lakes and Blue Lagoon offer similar diving experiences for less $$$. Just my opion. :wink:

ParamedicDiver1:
"After Scuba Shop Hours
Arrival in the evening after shop closes is considered camping or night diving."
http://www.athensscubapark.com/scubapark.htm

This statement, from ASP website is misleading, I think we can agree on that. I think that in the spirit of customer service, a better response from the managment should have been showed. Worse case senario for the management is a lost customer and bad word of mouth...which is exactly what happened. Personally, I would not drive to ASP from Houston to dive just based on their prices and the fact that Twin Lakes and Blue Lagoon offer similar diving experiences for less $$$. Just my opion. :wink:

The web site says nothing about the park itself, which might lead one to believe the gate is closed when the shop is. In my experience, this has not always been the case. Either way, an ambiguity such as this lends itself to my comment about letting your fingers do the walking before your feet.

I actually DID try to call twice before I went...once was during hours and I got no answer. The second was at 5:30 PM the day we left, which was after their regular business hours and I of course got no response. Calvin wasn't required to do anything...it's his property. He can ask me to leave any time he wants to. And in turn I also owe him absolutely nothing. He was a jerk to me and therefore I'm going to let everyone I can know about it so I can both protect the divers who make the trip to Athens AND hopefully through word-of-mouth help to put him out of business.

This is an intersting thread...althought there are always two sides. Like which side of bed you get up on. :D

I haven't been to Athens in years, must be a reason for that. I've had a few problems at Athens with staff (like my buddy and I renting tanks, and when we took the little tag to pick them up they gave us a couple of other people's private tanks that were sitting there after they were filled that even had tank protectors and stickers on them that were not the shop's stuff...that was fun when we were gearing up on the dock and the tank owners saw us with their tanks), but just went for a day trip.

Oh, there is another reason I don't go to Athens...Clear Springs is closer and their quarry is better (and they keep track of people's private tanks on fills). :eyebrow:

I would go back to Athens again...once maybe to see the "cave" thing, and if I had a good fill on my tanks before I went.

This is not to say that many ppl. have good experiences at Athens, it may be the closest place to dive for some.

Quote from CharlieT:1) I do not work for Calvin, or at Athens Scuba Park.

Notice CharlieT has made the same statement attempting to defend ASP on other threads as well. One would think that he would be tired of defending ASP seeing that the majority of the posters have had or has issues with ASP. There is no excuse for Calvin to treat/act as he does and he will find out as he looses business. He will probably go bankrupt because his asking price is ridiculus and humourous. Does'nt he live in a tin can on the property? The website is unclear and is indicative to the personality of Calvin ,l an unclear idiot. Yes, CharlieT you are correct this is not a nice thread, it is in response to a not so nice experience that many has had. Before we had our several issues with Athens Scuba Park we were going to go back this coming weekend. The eight of us has changed our mind and decided to go to Clear Springs Scuba Park this coming weekend. We will NEVER go to ASP and I will do everything in my power to educate other divers on ASP and Calvin. To "defame" ones character is to make unfactual statements, the statements made are fact.

OK from everything I have read I would not waste my time on ASP. CSSP is a great place to dive. And being from Austin I love WP and Richard is always great.

With that said, while diving with a great group of Swampers at CSSP this last weekend I had heard that ASP was for sale. Any truth to that? If so does anyone know an asking price?

Proud to be a new Texas Swamp Diver. Thanks again for the great company guys.

Yes, ASP is for sale. 800K. I don't know what that includes.

The place is in enough trouble due to CSSP being closer to Dallas than ASP.

TwoBit

TwoBitTxn:
Yes, ASP is for sale. 800K. I don't know what that includes.

The place is in enough trouble due to CSSP being closer to Dallas than ASP.

TwoBit

He came down on the price then must be getting desperate! Last month when I called they were asking for 1.5million..LOL.

Back
Top Bottom