Athens Camping Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Guys, I'm c-monkey's husband. I appearantly did misread the website about them only being open Wed-Sun. I could swear up and down though that I read something last week or week before on their site that said their current summer hours were 7 days a week (Mon-Sun). Anyways, I'll admit fault on that. But technically, we didn't arrive until 12AM Wednesday morning...and the website clearly states:

"After Scuba Shop Hours
Arrival in the evening after shop closes is considered camping or night diving.

Camping / Night Diving-----$5.00 pp Added to Gate Fee."

So, I got there Wed morning. The gate was locked, and I left my truck and most of our gear out front, but there were easy ways into the park around the sides of gate, so we just hiked in with our gear (after about 30 minutes of trying to find someone there already camping to see if they had a key to let us drive in). There were NO signs that said no tresspassing or no after hours access, so I'd didn't feel like I was gonna have ANY problem what-so-ever (honestly, the thought never even crossed my mind).

When Calvin got there he explained that what we had done was not allowed, and I apologized profusely...and genuinely I might add. I was ready to drop about $100 that day for our camping/diving/and fills, but he asked us to leave (after saying we could stay...wth is wrong with this guy?). So, without further ado, I left...and I will NEVER go back. 8 hours on the road so that I can be kicked out of a park after one night dive...and made to feel like some drifter that wandered in to camp on someone's private water hole...screw that. I'll go get Calvin a spoon so he can eat my ***!

ScubaTexan:
If you're going to drive that far to dive, come join us at Clear Springs, about 30 miles east of Dallas, for a weekend of diving. We'd be happy to dive with you guys.

Thanks- we definitely want to check out Clear Springs!

We almost came to see you guys yesterday (Clear Springs), but we were so pissed (and felt so icky from the whole thing) that we just wanted to get home. When we planned the trip we were actually trying to decide between you two, but my brother is a pilot and I'm an airplane buff so we went to Athens to see their airplane. We saw it and swam through it on the night dive we did, so yippee...I hope the thing falls apart and their quarry dries up. We'll definantly come see you guys on the next road trip! Thanks for the warm invitation...it's greatly appriciated after having to deal with a botched adventure! :0)

-Trey

Just an FYI, at Clear Springs, the hours of operation are Friday 9:00 am until dark, Saturday and Sunday 8:00am until 8:00pm and Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday by reservation only and they are closed on Monday. I talked to Robert at CSSP a couple weeks ago and he reinforced that those hours are in effect. He said that generally Tuesday thru Thursday there is someone around, but it's best to call first.

I'll go get Calvin a spoon so he can eat my ***!

FUNNY!!!!! He will probably charge you for the added attention LOL...

LOL! How much do you think ***-eating would cost at Athens? At a LDS, I would think a regular ***-eating might be around $10-15...at a SCUBA park, maybe around $25. So, basically what you're saying is that an eating-of-the-*** at Athens might be around $50!?! That's ridiculous...never mind Calvin...go eat your own ***...

-T

And I thought that the ring around his mouth was from chocolate milk!!! :11ztongue

This is not a nice post at all. If you are so closed minded as to ignore the “other side of the coin” skip this post.

1) I do not work for Calvin, or at Athens Scuba Park.

2) The town where I come from generally contains people who do not care for people that live or work in Athens, Texas.

3) I have had issues with Calvin in the past.

4) Calvin has also been very cool in the past.

5) I generally do not go to ASP because the air fills are twice as much as at CSSP, and CSSP is closer to Dallas (where I live).

tlessard:
"After Scuba Shop Hours
tlessard:
Arrival in the evening after shop closes is considered camping or night diving.

Camping / Night Diving-----$5.00 pp Added to Gate Fee."

One might assume that there is a difference between a dive shop being closed, and the property itself being closed.

tlessard:
The gate was locked, and I left my truck and most of our gear out front, but there were easy ways into the park around the sides of gate, so we just hiked in with our gear (after about 30 minutes of trying to find someone there already camping to see if they had a key to let us drive in). There were NO signs that said no tresspassing or no after hours access, so I'd didn't feel like I was gonna have ANY problem what-so-ever (honestly, the thought never even crossed my mind).

I arrive to CSSP at times before they open the gate, and I never assume I can just come right in, but then again, that is just me.

I am very glad you do not know where I live. I would hate to come home to find you sitting in my place, watching my TV and drinking my Crown. I also do not have a “no trespassing” sign, nor do I post the hours when I will be available for company, but out buying smokes.

tlessard:
When Calvin got there he explained that what we had done was not allowed, and I apologized profusely...and genuinely I might add. I was ready to drop about $100 that day for our camping/diving/and fills, but he asked us to leave (after saying we could stay...wth is wrong with this guy?). So, without further ado, I left...and I will NEVER go back. 8 hours on the road so that I can be kicked out of a park after one night dive...and made to feel like some drifter that wandered in to camp on someone's private water hole...screw that. I'll go get Calvin a spoon so he can eat my ***!

I cannot believe he even attempted to justify, in his mind, you breaking and entering on his property (posted or not). He should have tossed you out as soon as he saw you were on his property and diving without completed any liability forms.

You are right though; it should be Calvin who pays for your mistake, and not you.

I am truly sorry you had a bad experience there. Calvin can be a horses ***, and some days he can be fantastic (he now treats my group like we are long lost cousins). Maybe next time, being better planning would reduce the stress associated with diving.

We are very open to the "other side of the coin" as you stated, which is why I posted on the board in the 1st place-- hence my original questions about anyone having problems at Athens recently?
Perhaps our expectations were too high being that we live 5 minutes from Windy Point here in Austin where camping is allowed 24/7 and no liability forms are required (Athens website & info line doesnt say anything about that either). Windy Point has a locked gate, if you arrive after hours you carry your gear around it and set up. Richard comes around in the morning and cheerily greets everyone, collects his fees and says have fun.
Comparing your home to a public park is not logical to me at all so I choose not to respond to that comment.
Only thing I must dispute is how could we possibly construe the statement "Arrival in the evening after shop closes is considered camping or night diving" as saying the property is closed for camping? Especially when it IS ok to arrive for camping after the shop is closed on Friday & Saturday, just not Wednesday?
I apologize if the anger and frustration at being treated so harshly and unfairly has overflowed into our posts. It kinda festers after the long drive and wasted day off. Oh well, we know better now!

Good for you...glad you have recieved good service and you get a warm welcome. I guess things are a little different in Austin when it comes to SCUBA parks. WP Private has a locked gate after hours, but you are always welcome to hike right in an set up camp any time of day 24/7/365...just have money in hand in the morning. No liability release forms in Austin...if you're a diver, and you choose to dive somewhere, you've already accepted liability for your actions. That said...your house isn't a GD SCUBA park that says 'campers are welcome' on it's website, so you would never find me on your couch drinking your Crown.

Next time you go to Athens, look at the gate. It's gate is closed and locked after hours, but on either side there is a clear walk-way to get in and parking right at the curb where you can clearly see that other folks have parked in the past. When I see that, and a welcoming website that says 'Arrival in the evening after shop closes is considered camping or night diving' I think to myself...hmmm, based on the website, I should be good to go. Guess I'm just a weird, trusting, friendly, kind, and respectful human being who treats other peoples stuff as well or better than I treat my own, so I expect to be treated in such a fashion if I've made a mistake. He made his point that it was not common practice, that said he should have taken my money and said water under the bridge. If I had ever done it again I would have fully expected to be arrested. But this is absurd...the website needs to be very clear that after hours access is not allowed instead of encouraging it!

-Trey

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom