Rangiroa add on worth it for 2 days of diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bfwolf1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm going to be in Moorea this October with a couple of friends. The primary purpose of the trip is to swim with humpbacks, but I will also get a day of scuba diving in, hopefully to see the lemon sharks.

One friend is flying back to the States on a Friday and then the other friend and I were supposed to fly back the next morning. But I have the opportunity to extend the trip for a few more days and could instead fly to Rangiroa on Friday afternoon, coming back to Tahiti Monday and then flying back to the States Tuesday morning. This would allow me to dive Rangiroa Saturday and Sunday.

Worth it? I'd be solo which is not as fun, but I can manage. I feel like I'd be being a little bit of a jerk to my friend who I was going to split a hotel with on Friday in Tahiti and then also in SFO Saturday when we land as it's too late for us to catch a flight back to Chicago. But I'm sure she'd understand. I'm just not sure how epic Rangiroa is and whether 2 days of diving makes it all worth it.

I could also stay the extra 3 days and dive Tahiti or Moorea, but I think I'm less interested in this.

Great place for diving. We spent 2 days there, did 4 dives. Wish we could have done 6. There was one area where 100's of sharks drifted by. The dolphins there also love to come up to divers and swim around them.

OK! I am going to do it! Thanks all!
I was there in 2019 - 8 awesome dives in and outside of Tiputa Pass. The sharks in Tiputa pass are normally quite deep (160’) but may come up shallower later afternoon before sunset.

The dolphins were just amazing - we heard and saw them on every dive and they came to interact and “play” on several dives! Fantastic experience.

I was “solo” (with non-diving wife) and had a great experience - we stayed at Kia Ora and I went with The 6 Passengers:

I was there in 2019 - 8 awesome dives in and out side of Tiputa Pass. The sharks in Tiputa pass are normally quite deep (160’) but may come up shallower later afternoon before sunset.

The dolphins were just amazing - we heard and saw them on every dive and they came to interact and “play” on several dives! Fantastic experience.

I was “solo” (with non-diving wife) and had a great experience - we stayed at Kia Ora and I went with The 6 Passengers:

Wow those dolphins are amazing!

Rangiroa is good. Dolphins in the pass and Mantas on the outside the reef. Fakarava is better IMO. Both better than Moorea though I did like diving it. Lots of lemon sharks there in addition to black tip reef sharks.
If you go to Rangiroa (or even Fakarava), make sure you have a boat going out/reservation as they certainly won't be going out with a single diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom