Are dive computers making bad divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BTW, I was certified thru SDI, which does not teach tables
When SDI/TDI was founded, encouraging the use of computers was one of its principles. That may have had to do with the fact that the owner of that new agency also owned Uwatec computers.

To be fair you ask what tables…
I was asking if you were using PADI, SSI, NAUI, US Navy, NOAA, etc. There is a difference, sometimes significant, among them. You provided pictures of the PADI tables. Fine. Use them to answer the questions I asked.

I had to learn to use the wheel for my DM exam, and I forgot how as soon as I could. Then I had to learn it again for my instructor exam. I have no idea how to use it now.
I used the PADI wheel for several years pre-computer ownership and dare I say I found it quite liberating having used tables for several years.

Next time I had to use tables was for my Nitrox course in 2004, and by then I was also on my third Suunto computer as the previous two did not have Nitrox functions.

I went through OW on tables, and I can plan my dive on tables if I really wanted to.

I dont see how using tables makes anyone a better diver. I know some of you will disagree, but I dont need to know the ins and outs of decompression to be a good diver.

As a recreational diver, the most important thing is to stay within the NDL. I can do so simply by paying attention to my computer (easier), or by pre-planning a dive, calculating on tables, and then paying attention to my depth and time (a bit more complicated). I prefer the DC. Easier and more flexibility for my diving.

I used Navy tables 1970-1980. I used PADI tables 1997-2002. I used PADI nitrox tables in my 2002 class but started using a computer running DSAT and never used tables again to plan/execute my dives. I added Buhlmann with GFs in 2016.

Diving nitrox with a computer in 2002 was probably the biggest advancement/improvement in my diving. Having a SPG and a real BC with LP inflator are the only other things that compare.

When SDI/TDI was founded, encouraging the use of computers was one of its principles. That may have had to do with the fact that the owner of that new agency also owned Uwatec computers.
Ah, now that's interesting. I knew SDI/TDI encouraged the use of computers, but I had not heard that before about him.

Ah, now that's interesting. I knew SDI/TDI encouraged the use of computers, but I had not heard that before about him.

True, Brett Gilliam founded TDI and was the President and CEO of UWATEC USA which sold to ScubaPro. He has a very interesting background.

@boulderjohn at the same time it would make sense for someone who really believe that computers are the way forward to teach that way and get involved in their development?

You can't, but if you don't use them for a long period of time, you can forget. I had to learn to use the wheel for my DM exam, and I forgot how as soon as I could. Then I had to learn it again for my instructor exam. I have no idea how to use it now. Those two exams are the only times I have ever seen anyone use a wheel.
I sort of get that, but if you are teaching OW, I would assume that brushing up on the materials might be a good idea. I still have some tables at home. I haven't used them for diving in a real long time. A while back, I hadn't even looked at them in many years. For some reason, I decided to check one and how to use it came back to me.

Back to the Human Interface, my tables are pretty easy to read, there is a 1 or A (or maybe Start) for where you start, then arrows point you to the next steps.
On several occasions back when I was teaching tables to OW students, one of them would tell the class that their friends who were already divers told them that once they finish the class, they never have to do it again, because "in the real world," the divemasters do it for you.
I'm really not sure how I would have reacted. It would never once have crossed my mind to leave this to a divemaster. But then, apart from training courses/checkouts, I've never dove with a divemaster acting in that capacity.

But, I think it's clear now. It's not computers that make bad divers. *Divemasters make bad divers.

*Yes, this is a very broad generalization, and somewhat facetious. Relying on the DM to keep the divers safe goes against everything I was taught. DMs might not actually be making bad divers, but they might be enabling them.

Back
Top Bottom