Are dive computers making bad divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I remember correctly the Shearwater Perdix used to default to the highest O2 mix at the beginning of the dive until an update (probably because it was selecting the best gas …) which was annoying as you had to revert to your back gas in your selection.

You need to enter the gas mixes you have on you before the div, and during the dive, you only switches between the gas mixes to indicate what you are currently breathing.

I had buddies who forgot to set up the correct mix, so I think it’s a valid concern. I also have met people who didn’t understand that you need to deactivate the gas mixes you don’t carry prior to the dive, which is a bit worrying for people who dabble in light deco.

To answer your question, the AI computer only display the pressure of the tanks, you still need to enter in the computer the gas composition before the dive: the AI sensor is only a pressure sensor. It cannot analyse the gas itself.

Edit: checked if the perdix manual warns the user about making active a gas you don’t carry:

View attachment 730708
Thank you. Like any diving gear they have to be taken seriously and practiced, there simply for some and I've had people compare it to my mobile phone but when I look at my phone I have 6 missed calls.

Alas there’s new problems introduced with all the technology. GPS means incredible accuracy, meaning "traffic jams" at popular waypoints in the middle of nowhere. Fine until it’s foggy.

Technology is never a replacement for good core skills.
But GPS with live traffic means avoiding those traffic jams by calculating best routes on the fly as traffic conditions change.

But GPS with live traffic means avoiding those traffic jams by calculating best routes on the fly as traffic conditions change.
That assumes the boaters are actually monitoring the plethora of information in the middle of the sea. Of course this is good seamanship to which the additional information needs to be assessed.

Mark 1 eyeball works very well.

Yes. They’re certainly allowing lazy instructors to be lazier and the divers to not understand basic stuff.
How does this allow instructors to be lazier? When my agency switched the OW course to computers, I found it took just about the same amount of time to teach the computer section that replaced the table section, and I had to teach them how to do the computers we used for the course.

How do divers not understand basic stuff that is necessary for a dive being done with computers? What is missing?

How does this allow instructors to be lazier? When my agency switched th OW course to computers, I found it took just about the same amount of time to teach the computer section that replaced the table section, and I had to teach them how to do the computers we used for the course.

How do divers not understand basic stuff that is necessary for a dive being done with computers? What is missing?

I watched the instructor in my wife’s class not even know how to use the tables.

The orientation on the computer was read the manual and come up before it says you have no ndl left for your dive.

It’s the same way most agencies don’t teach gas planning any more.

That's my fear that I'd misread something critical. Or set it up wrong. I have no experience with a computer. I now carry a uwatec but don't rely on it entirely.
That's a valid concern, depending on the computer and how you have it set up. With a lot of computers out there, you are kind of stuck with how the manufacturer wants the information to be displayed. With the more advanced ones, you can make some updates to what you want displayed, but some items will always be fixed.

Both my Perdix and my Garmin track a bunch of things that I don't necessarily need to see all the time. Time of day, temperature, etc. Those aren't on the main screen, though. I can cycle through those screens if I need to during a dive.

The biggest danger of a mix-up is the first few dives with a new or new to you computer. After that, it should become obvious. Or at least it will become clear that the layout is a cluster and the computer belongs in the trash.

I watched the instructor in my wife’s class not even know how to use the tables.

The orientation on the computer was read the manual and come up before it says you have no ndl left for your dive.

It’s the same way most agencies don’t teach gas planning any more.
So one crappy instructor ignoring standards means that the entire concept is bad. Got it.

That's a valid concern, depending on the computer and how you have it set up. With a lot of computers out there, you are kind of stuck with how the manufacturer wants the information to be displayed. With the more advanced ones, you can make some updates to what you want displayed, but some items will always be fixed.

Both my Perdix and my Garmin track a bunch of things that I don't necessarily need to see all the time. Time of day, temperature, etc. Those aren't on the main screen, though. I can cycle through those screens if I need to during a dive.

The biggest danger of a mix-up is the first few dives with a new or new to you computer. After that, it should become obvious. Or at least it will become clear that the layout is a cluster and the computer belongs in the trash.
Thank you, I have it set up now as in the example photo with basic but critical information, I'll work away with this until familiar and use tables as well.

Attachments

• 20220629_141240.jpg
    20220629_141240.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 26
So one crappy instructor ignoring standards means that the entire concept is bad. Got it.
Assuming that the report is true. It is difficult for me to imagine that somebody can get through his PADI instructor exams not knowing how to use dive tables.

Back
Top Bottom