Are dive computers making bad divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you, I have it set up now as in the example photo with basic but critical information, I'll work away with this until familiar and use tables as well.
I think that should work. The most important information is in larger font. And you have the most important information displayed. The only thing I can see that might also be useful is an ascent rate indicator. Looks like the tissue loading is on the right, but I don't see an ascent rate indicator. It's possible it will warn appropriately when actually ascending. All the computers I've used had some way to convey that information.

Several people have mentioned concern of too much info displayed and the risk of misreading or confusing data. Human factors is a major consideration when I choose a computer, having gone through the misery of poor interface designs before.

You shouldn't have to go through different screens to find what you need or look at data you don't need at depth. You also shouldn't have to read the manual if you haven't changed a gas mix pre-set or the time and date for several months. This is one of my favorite quotes:

“ Manuals are a list of human interface failures. ”

Assuming that the report is true. It is difficult for me to imagine that somebody can get through his PADI instructor exams not knowing how to use dive tables.
You can't, but if you don't use them for a long period of time, you can forget. I had to learn to use the wheel for my DM exam, and I forgot how as soon as I could. Then I had to learn it again for my instructor exam. I have no idea how to use it now. Those two exams are the only times I have ever seen anyone use a wheel.

On the other hand, I taught the tables so often I can still do them in my sleep, even though I have never used them for my personal diving and even though I have not taught a table-based OW class in 7-8 years.

If your plan is to bail on computer failure and you do not do deco, I don’t see the problem with that?
You are done diving for the day, might be one problem

I watched the instructor in my wife’s class not even know how to use the tables.

The orientation on the computer was read the manual and come up before it says you have no ndl left for your dive.

It’s the same way most agencies don’t teach gas planning any more.
I thought I would make a second reply for other points.

1. My niece is a NAUI certified diver. She told me her pool sessions were about an hour or so long, and she did one OW dive to 10 feet. Her class was table -based, but she doesn't know anything about that. Does that indicate that teaching tables allows an instructor to be lazy? If an instructor decides not to teach something in the course, does it matter whether it is tables or computers that are not taught?

2. I can't speak for any agency but PADI, but the computer section of the course is extensive, and it includes access to an online computer simulator which can be used to show how computers act in different scenarios. Information from that section is on the final exam.

2. What agencies have stopped teaching gas planning? A couple of years ago, someone posted the PADI standards from (then) 25 years ago and asked for a comparison to today. The only requirement missing was one-regulator buddy breathing, which had been replaced by the use of an alternate air source. At least 15 new requirements had been added. So evidently nothing like that had been taken out. One of the things that was added was gas planning using the rule of thirds, with a question asking students to calculate a turn pressure on the final exam.

I don’t think computers have anything to do with bad diving. Bad diving to me means crashing the bottom, rototilling, not paying attention to air supply, horrendous buoyancy control, yo yo diving, elevator diving, overly buddy dependent and clingyness, ready to panic at any moment, very bad general skills, etc.
Being computer dependent just means they are dependent on technology. If they used tables they would be dependent on their depth gauge and timing device plus needing to remember NDL time, unless they have it written down. What’s the difference?

Here is another thought.

On several occasions back when I was teaching tables to OW students, one of them would tell the class that their friends who were already divers told them that once they finish the class, they never have to do it again, because "in the real world," the divemasters do it for you.

Alas there’s new problems introduced with all the technology. GPS means incredible accuracy, meaning "traffic jams" at popular waypoints in the middle of nowhere. Fine until it’s foggy.

Technology is never a replacement for good core skills.
I feel that having both technology and good core skills is best....... and to teach both as an instructor is also best.....

And by the way......if caught in unexpected pea soup fog in my boat ......... that technology (radar /GPS/Sonar) is a damn good replacement for good core skills.

But still best to have both in your pocket...

I think that should work. The most important information is in larger font. And you have the most important information displayed. The only thing I can see that might also be useful is an ascent rate indicator. Looks like the tissue loading is on the right, but I don't see an ascent rate indicator. It's possible it will warn appropriately when actually ascending. All the computers I've used had some way to convey that information.
During an ascent, the nitrogen loading bar graph is replaced by a graphical ascent rate indication. With the ideal rate being in the center. As in the photo. Thanks for taking the time to look at this. I actually didn't know this till I checked the manual even though I've read it a number of times. To fast above center and to slow below center

Attachments

• 20220629_160907.jpg
    20220629_160907.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 36
Here is another thought.

On several occasions back when I was teaching tables to OW students, one of them would tell the class that their friends who were already divers told them that once they finish the class, they never have to do it again, because "in the real world," the divemasters do it for you.
Holy crap, that's horrible. I would dare say that it's upward of 75% of the dives I've done have been without a DM. And even with one, I still rely on my computer instead of the DM. When diving with a DM, to me, he's more a guide to follow than a babysitter.

BTW, I was certified thru SDI, which does not teach tables although they did have tables included with the OW packet when I first got certified. I don't know if they even do that anymore. They do teach computer dive planning and use, as well as recreational gas management. At least my instructors did, in both OW and AOW as well as nitrox.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom