Info Aqualung Financial Troubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What if it weren't? What if the user isn't very good at it? Do you wait until something is wrong while on an expensive trip on a liveaboard in a remote location? No preventive maintenance? The greater majority of divers don't take care of their own equipment, they don't know how to or just aren't motivated to do it or combination of all the above.
Good point

What are you supposed to wear in cool/cold water?
Not supposed to get into cold water!

1689557780050.png

Good point
not so much. getting gear serviced just prior to a trip when gear is working makes it more likely to have issues on the trip or live aboard. If folks aren't getting a couple dives on the gear after service before trip I recommend a inspection vs preventive maint/service. If there is any concern, of course address it. Consumer behaviour is such that they do bring the gear in just before the trip, and shops like that, many instructors teach them to do it because it is revenue. If you have a really good shop that does good work.. fair game, that is FAR from universal however.
When living in Cayman, every day a few divers with own gear had issues, without fail they will report "I had it just serviced before the trip and picked them up!" Most common was a slight second stage leak from the tech making the cracking pressure as low as possible and the LP seat taking a set over a couple dives, easy fix and a sign of a poor tech that doesn't really understand how regs work. Followed by a HP seat failure, because they take a set or are a bad batch (which while less common last decade plus, used to really be a problem for many brands, especially with diaphragm regs). Third most common was a couple days diving and the BCD would auto inflate, almost every time they had that silly service tag attached to the corrugated hose and the shop had serviced it using an ultrasound that removed some chrome leaving bare brass that quickly gets sticky. (this does depend on brand of inflator BTW).

I do judge instructors and shops that tell people to get gear serviced immediately before a trip or class as poor quality that put money first

not so much. getting gear serviced just prior to a trip when gear is working makes it more likely to have issues on the trip or live aboard. If folks aren't getting a couple dives on the gear after service before trip I recommend a inspection vs preventive maint/service. If there is any concern, of course address it. Consumer behaviour is such that they do bring the gear in just before the trip, and shops like that, many instructors teach them to do it because it is revenue. If you have a really good shop that does good work.. fair game, that is FAR from universal however.
When living in Cayman, every day a few divers with own gear had issues, without fail they will report "I had it just serviced before the trip and picked them up!" Most common was a slight second stage leak from the tech making the cracking pressure as low as possible and the LP seat taking a set over a couple dives, easy fix and a sign of a poor tech that doesn't really understand how regs work. Followed by a HP seat failure, because they take a set or are a bad batch (which while less common last decade plus, used to really be a problem for many brands, especially with diaphragm regs). Third most common was a couple days diving and the BCD would auto inflate, almost every time they had that silly service tag attached to the corrugated hose and the shop had serviced it using an ultrasound that removed some chrome leaving bare brass that quickly gets sticky. (this does depend on brand of inflator BTW).

I do judge instructors and shops that tell people to get gear serviced immediately before a trip or class as poor quality that put money first
Good point.

Prior to my recent trip to Nassau, I had my serviceable gear serviced by a well known member here, but since I was as outdated as my gear, I took it with me for a brush up pool course. It was at the suggestion of another member here that I “tried out” my newly serviced gear. I discovered one small problem and did a work around, but truth to tell, the problem would not have been life threatening. I highly recommend having your gear serviced by an able service person… do your due diligence and know with whom you are dealing!
🐸

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom