Info Aqualung Financial Troubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can't stick open on a dive if it don't get opened.

Inflator is ONLY used at the surface. BC is totally empty for all of the dive except at end or beginning
What does this even mean? Are you suggesting that if you hop off the boat wearing a wetsuit and drop to 100' you aren't going to be putting any gas into the BCD?

That's ridiculous.

All I’ve ever done is rinse out the BC real good and make sure to run fresh water through the inflator and rinse out the inside good. My original generic inflator on my 20 yo Oxycheq wing finally began to slowly auto inflate, so I went to my dive shop and got a $12 Trident service kit and installed it. It’s back to normal. I’m in the camp of “If it ain’t broke don’t fix it”.
I don’t see where they would have to do anything once a year if the BC is properly rinsed and taken care of.

the Schrader valve should never be cleaned and serviced, just replaced. Cleaning it just is going to fail again soon.
For an annual inspection (i.e. it was working -- just needs regular maintenance), it gets cleaned, lubed with silicone spray, tested. For an overhaul (i.el. it was not working properly), it gets rebuilt with new parts.

Hope that clears that up.

I don’t see where they would have to do anything once a year if the BC is properly rinsed and taken care of.

What if it weren't? What if the user isn't very good at it? Do you wait until something is wrong while on an expensive trip on a liveaboard in a remote location? No preventive maintenance? The greater majority of divers don't take care of their own equipment, they don't know how to or just aren't motivated to do it or combination of all the above.

What does this even mean? Are you suggesting that if you hop off the boat wearing a wetsuit and drop to 100' you aren't going to be putting any gas into the BCD?

That's ridiculous.
Why would anyone jump off a boat in a wetsuit? THAT would be ridiculous. Just do not wear a wetsuit.

But yeah, I inflate prior to splash, then totally purge, then slide down to 100', 120', 130' or whatever that particular dive calls for.

BC does not see air until I'm back at the surface.

For an annual inspection (i.e. it was working -- just needs regular maintenance), it gets cleaned, lubed with silicone spray, tested. For an overhaul (i.el. it was not working properly), it gets rebuilt with new parts.

Hope that clears that up.
Schrader valves are a work or replace item, not a serviceable item. You are more likely to create sand sticking to the spring that abrades the chrome leading to a failure by spraying it with silicone. Hope that clears that up.

What do they do when they service a BC?
I’ve heard of it but never had it done in 25 years if diving. Do they put a service kit in the inflator and maybe change out the dump seals or something?
You have it correct. A BC service includes the service of the Aqualung Powerline inflator which uses Schrader valves and a filter that needs replacement. Some AL BCDs have the i3 inflator which requires service and flat e-valve parts replacements also. Many shops forget to replace the Schrader valve and o-ring in the LPI hose connector also.

Why would anyone jump off a boat in a wetsuit? THAT would be ridiculous. Just do not wear a wetsuit.

But yeah, I inflate prior to splash, then totally purge, then slide down to 100', 120', 130' or whatever that particular dive calls for.

BC does not see air until I'm back at the surface.
What are you supposed to wear in cool/cold water?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom