Apeks TX50 - ATX50 question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gangrel441

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Quick question. When I had my regs serviced this year, I finally made the change from using an AirXS to a standard octo and power inflator. This meant I needed an octo added to my TX50 regset. I had requested a TX50 octo be added, but when I got home, I noticed the 2nd stage that was added was an ATX50. No biggie. Better reg, no complaint here.

However, I am now thinking of switching my primary and alternate, so I will be breathing the ATX50 and have the TX50 as an alternate. My question is, how feasable is it to switch the faceplate on an ATX50 2nd stage from a yellow one to a black one, and is it worth the hassel. Same question in the other direction on the TX50. I am not much of a DIY guy, so I haven't tinkered with these things much. Thanks!

I was once told (I never checked) that the results of an octopus and a standard second stage are not the same. First before planning of changing between the two, try it under the water and make sure you are happy of the breathing!
On top of that what do you care of changing the face of your ATX. you can easily breath from it and if your buddy has a need of your air than give the reg from your mouth and take the octopus, by the way this is DIR (I am not DIR but this is a good procedure that i use) secondly you will have extra few cm from the hose wich should make it more comfortable.

I don't have true Apeks but Apeks that were sold under the Zeagle brand. The covers just unscrew off so it is no big issue to change the covers. If you had two AT's or ATX's you could just switch them yourself instead of buying 2 covers.

I never heard of the Octo not being as good as the primary like DavidB suggests. Typically, a technician will detune the octo so it does not freeflow as easily. It can always be tuned back. Also it may not have been detuned being a AT/ATX/XTX 50 is an adjustable second, which can be detuned by the diver.

Finally, from what my understanding is there is no major difference in preformance between an AT and and ATX, the ATX is just a more compact version of an AT. So you may not be able to tell the difference.

My recommendation is to dive using both seconds as primaries and decide if the ATX50 is truely better before spending the money on the covers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom