Apeks DSX dive computer: Any info?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can control what's on the 3rd row, but the 4th row is locked to defaults. Here's what the owners manual shows:

Attachments

• IMG_D99FDECBABEE-1.jpeg
    IMG_D99FDECBABEE-1.jpeg
    64.9 KB · Views: 154
You can control what's on the 3rd row, but the 4th row is locked to defaults. Here's what the owners manual shows:
Unless your DC has a bug, this sounds like a major miss on the Apeks Software QC process. An air integrated dive computer that doesn't show tank pressure in some dive modes is a big problem. Hopefully they fix it quickly.

OK, you had me a little worried for a bit as I had a DSX coming in the mail as I read about your first experience with it in the pool. I received it last week, and haven't had time to play with it much yet aside from browsing the different menus and familiarizing myself a bit with the general interface.
As to the AI issue you are experiencing, I also have swift transmitters and paired one with the DSX to see whether I would have the same problem in OC mode. After going into device settings and pairing the transmitter successfully, I went back to the main screen and did not see any gas pressure displayed. I switched to sidemount mode but had also no tx info displayed in that mode either. But then I went into gas settings and set the first gas, and you have the option to activate and assign the transmitter there, after which the tx pressure info displayed correctly onto the main screen (see attached picture).
Is it possible that you set gas #1 in SM mode, but did not do that in OC mode? It appears that the gas settings are separate from one mode to the other, so you'd have to reset your first gas after switching modes for the transmitter info to display correctly.

dsx.jpg

OK, you had me a little worried for a bit as I had a DSX coming in the mail as I read about your first experience with it in the pool. I received it last week, and haven't had time to play with it much yet aside from browsing the different menus and familiarizing myself a bit with the general interface.
As to the AI issue you are experiencing, I also have swift transmitters and paired one with the DSX to see whether I would have the same problem in OC mode. After going into device settings and pairing the transmitter successfully, I went back to the main screen and did not see any gas pressure displayed. I switched to sidemount mode but had also no tx info displayed in that mode either. But then I went into gas settings and set the first gas, and you have the option to activate and assign the transmitter there, after which the tx pressure info displayed correctly onto the main screen (see attached picture).
Is it possible that you set gas #1 in SM mode, but did not do that in OC mode? It appears that the gas settings are separate from one mode to the other, so you'd have to reset your first gas after switching modes for the transmitter info to display correctly.

View attachment 765878
You are awesome! If you ever find yourself in the Indianapolis area, I owe you beer! I had set the gas in OC mode, but you have to link each transmitter to a gas, and apparently SM and gauge can share a linked transmitter, but OC won't. I went in and linked gas 1 to my swift, it said I would unlink the transmitter to the SM, and now I have tank data in OC.

Attachments

• IMG_2616.jpeg
    IMG_2616.jpeg
    72.2 KB · Views: 165
I just received mine yesterday and am going to dive it this afternoon for the first time. One thing that I don't see much information on is if it will provide SAC or RMV during a dive. In the user manual the only reference to it is that after the dive in the dive log it will provide SAC. Also, I have not found anywhere in the computer settings to set tank pressure or volume. Lastly, the GPS on mine cannot connect to any GPS sat's so this doesn't appear to work on mine.

I've not had a dive computer that asked for volume, so that's not something I have ever checked for. I was able to get my GPS to find my location. It would NOT find it indoors, but stepping out on my rear deck, it found in in about 40 seconds.

EDIT: putting the coordinates into maps from the DSX did pin point right to my back yard.

Couple of pool dives, and now that I've got the whole transmitter thing figured out, I really don't have any complaints. I'll be diving it week after next in Cozumel. I know it's a small thing, but I'm liking that I don't have to bring a charger since it wireless charges, and works with my iPhone wireless charger. One less thing to pack. Being able to load custom slates (photos, diagrams, tables, etc) to it is nice too. Made a custom "about me" photo with my name, DAN number, emergency contact into, medical info, etc. Debating on wether or not to pack my 770R or not. I did find one weird thing while setting up my regs today for the trip. I have never programmed my old transmitter form my 770 into the DSX, but with it sitting next to the tank, and no there transmitter in range. And the dive computer for the older transmitter not turned on, it did grab the tank data and displayed it on the screen. Again, without having ever entered that transmitter info. I'm guessing because the transmitter couldn't find it's linked computer, and this computer couldn't find it's linked transmitter, they linked. Something to keep in mind if crowded onto a dive boat.

Just joined the forum, and have a new Apeks DSX, so ask away if you have any questions.
Great DC, however there is a significant issue with transmitter pressure display in OC mode.

Just got back from my week trip in Cozumel. Am extremely happy with how the DSX worked. Didn't have a single issue. Was able to easily switch between Nitrox on the boat, and air on shore dives. Dove both ocean and Cenote. I'm using the Swift transmitter, and never had a loss in communication with the transmitter. Dove the whole week and never got below 70% on battery. Logged 18 dives, up to 115 feet. Screen was very clear and easy to read in both day and night diving. Only time I had issues reading was in the Cenote when moving through the brackish layer, and that was an effect of the water, and not of the dive computer. Starting my sidemount course thiw weekend, so I'll be using it in a different mode (dove OC mode all week in Cozumel), so I'll let you know how that goes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom