Apeks DSX dive computer: Any info?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm interested in hearing more about this device also. Seems like a Perdix with GPS.

FYI, I heard from a shop that this device hasn't officially been released yet. It's scheduled for a "soft launch" in November and regular production Q1 2023. Seems to be a Perdix competitor with a rechargeable battery, GPS for entry/exits and uses ZHL-16C with GFs. This is all 2nd hand info but should be interesting to see more official details.

Hmm from where i stand it seems whole tech diving is dominated by Shearwater. And when going CCR there are almost no alternatives, especially as more and more units are using DiveCAN (which seems proprietary, so forever stuck with one brand). Prices are rather also very "interesting".
But then of course this is only my impression, as a novice into tech/ccr world...But fair enough, perhaps "fed up" was a bit wrong choice of words, and "apple like monopoly" tad strong...perhaps dominance would be a better word.
There's kind of a reason they dominate the market for technical diving. Basically their kit works, it's been well tested with countless technical dives and on all the rebreathers. In essence, they're trusted in environments where people's lives depend upon that kit.

There are other computers available but a lot of those seem to be copies of what Shearwater did, especially the user interfaces.

I started with a Suunto D9tx which is impossible to use underwater unless you remember all the complex spells for button presses. Awful thing. I then bought a Xdeep Black computer which I bought so I can see the screen in the dark waters I usually dive in. Horrid thing that was full of bugs both software and hardware. I soon binned it in favour of a Perdix which was an amazing experience in comparison with the previous two computers: a really simple UI both to read and to use, it was amazingly reliable, it just works. Which is why I had no problems moving to CCR and the Petrel + Nerd combination. All three computers have the same user interface and same code base. They also work with the simple Shearwater Cloud application which works across my various computers, phones and tablets.

One thing I would never do is be an early adopter for some shiny new dive computer. I'd wait for any new dive computer to be properly tested by the early adopters. Life's too precious to trust it to a brand new product, especially for technical diving.

Will be interesting to see how the dedicated recreational dive computers do now that Apple's entering their space. Will Shearwater, for example, port their code to the Apple Watch especially given that they've experience with the Teric user interface design.

There's kind of a reason they dominate the market for technical diving. Basically their kit works, it's been well tested with countless technical dives and on all the rebreathers. In essence, they're trusted in environments where people's lives depend upon that kit.

There are other computers available but a lot of those seem to be copies of what Shearwater did, especially the user interfaces.

I started with a Suunto D9tx which is impossible to use underwater unless you remember all the complex spells for button presses. Awful thing. I then bought a Xdeep Black computer which I bought so I can see the screen in the dark waters I usually dive in. Horrid thing that was full of bugs both software and hardware. I soon binned it in favour of a Perdix which was an amazing experience in comparison with the previous two computers: a really simple UI both to read and to use, it was amazingly reliable, it just works. Which is why I had no problems moving to CCR and the Petrel + Nerd combination. All three computers have the same user interface and same code base. They also work with the simple Shearwater Cloud application which works across my various computers, phones and tablets.

One thing I would never do is be an early adopter for some shiny new dive computer. I'd wait for any new dive computer to be properly tested by the early adopters. Life's too precious to trust it to a brand new product, especially for technical diving.

Will be interesting to see how the dedicated recreational dive computers do now that Apple's entering their space. Will Shearwater, for example, port their code to the Apple Watch especially given that they've experience with the Teric user interface design.

Haha you are going to laugh but just got Perdix AI, even after all this rumbling :rofl3:
Absolutely loved the OSTC+ as my backup (and would love OSTC 4 even more, that screen is amazing) if not one thing...lack of any air integration (well ok, it also suffers from the crab buttons, same as on SH. Not sure about others but I seem to have more than 2 fingers, might be a mutation though). So here we go...still have DSX preorder in so might at some point compare both and get rid of one.

As for Apple, don't even get me started. I will skip the whole Apple consumer "friendly" business model, but the fact that the app needed for the watch is subscription based is a huge no no. Unfortunately the SAAS model is spreading like cancer, and while in some specific software sectors it might have it's right of way, in majority it is nothing than charging the customer more by making it appear less and killing 2nd hand market at the same time - you just rent the software, the moment you stop paying you are left with nothing. Rather worrying that the cancer has now spread to the dive industry as well.

And back to the actual topic - Apeks has finally listed DSX on their website, with all specs, high-res photos and manual.

Also first unboxing video:

Seems the limited UK release was a thing as DirDirect lists "limited quantity" in stock. No luck on the continent though.

Skimming through specs: 2.4" screen, depth rating "only" 150m (though manual lists 130m as functional limit), ZHL-16C w/GF, works with MH8A transmitters and has 3 buttons - so crab mode with middle finger. There is a weird note on the website "CCR mode (NOTE: CCR Mode will be activated November 2022)", but i assume this was not updated perhaps, CC mode seems covered in the manual. Log seems rather limited, only 99 dives can be stored in the computer. Non-user replaceable battery it seems.

Also we now have achievements apparently :facepalm:...
1669139590346.png

Is the pad wireless charging?

So do you see this basically as a Perdix with GPS, and a rechargeable wireless charging battery and a less friendly logging solution?

Heh certainly similar, and about the same size (2.4" vs 2.2). Based on dry specs/manual it seems to score better in some areas, worse in others I suppose. Question will be about customer service too - while Apeks is pretty responsive, Aqualung not so (from my experience at least), so if they take care of the continent. then well, I cannot say that is a plus in my eyes.
Also big factor will be the price - got pre-order in at about 880 EUR (incl. VAT) which one can call "reasonable" (boy, how did we even get there), however it seems the average price is now 1099 EUR and up....at that price one either has OSTC 4 with unbeatable screen size/resolution (albeit no AI) or a Petrel 3 for not much more (1270 EUR was the lowest price i found), so pretty tough competition, even without taking 2nd hand Perdix AI and the new Perdix AI 2 into account...and then you also have the Ratio computers, which are actually cheaper than Apeks.

Well let's see, competition is usually good for the consumers :)

The Apeks DSK is from the Aqua Lung family. It uses a PPS MH8A transmitter, downloads to DiverLog+. Looks like it goes for about $1178 in the US with no transmitter

In Sport mode, it runs the same 3 presets as the Aqua Lung i330R, 90/90. 35/85, and 35/70. In Tec mode it has custom GF low/GF high.

Back
Top Bottom