Any reason why I can't use these regs in a side mount set up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KevinTrew

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I already have a single set of Poseidon Xstream Black that I would like to convert, for use in a SM set up and purchase similar for the 2nd SM set. I'm starting my Rec/Tec course in mid-Sept and would like to do the course with my own regs.

Apart from apparent hose lengths and dual reg set up with SPGs is there anything pertaining to the 1st stage that would stop me using this reg? Any not so obvious mods that 're required?

Thanks for any feedback.

Hose routing may be awkward to get set up at first but no reason not to use them. The ambidextrous nature gives some additional options wrt gas donation and hose routing that normal regs don't eg using left/right regs

@tbone1004 is a big Poseidon head so tagging him.

they work great. This is obviously with Jetstreams, but Xstreams work just fine. Hose routing isn't quite as ideal as something with a swivel turret, but it works fine. No mods or anything you have to deal with, just dive them.

15025390_10157748947445134_3212809053223266062_o.jpg

they work great. This is obviously with Jetstreams, but Xstreams work just fine. Hose routing isn't quite as ideal as something with a swivel turret, but it works fine. No mods or anything you have to deal with, just dive them.

View attachment 476672

Apologies another question ....I have an wireless transmitter for my computer (Shinto D6); I've seen on this forum that a few gents have switched from SPG to wireless; would going wireless, at all help with hose routing,as you don't have to "eyeball" an SPG all the time and thus wouldn't need to be on top of cylinder? Again sorry for question but I also guess I will find out a lot more on what works on my course. Thanks.

AI would only help if your computer can handle two transmitters. But yes, it can make things less cluttered.

I did a Perdix with 2 transmitters for my recent SDI SM course. I kept my SPGs bungeed back to first stages. My instructor had no issues with me using AI, but you’re might be of a different mindset. Certainly easier than going for gauges.

Apologies another question ....I have an wireless transmitter for my computer (Shinto D6); I've seen on this forum that a few gents have switched from SPG to wireless; would going wireless, at all help with hose routing,as you don't have to "eyeball" an SPG all the time and thus wouldn't need to be on top of cylinder? Again sorry for question but I also guess I will find out a lot more on what works on my course. Thanks.

I have transmitters on my sidemount bottles now, it doesn't really make hose routing any easier just gives you some flexibility. I don't both with analog SPG's

I'm one of those people who ditched the lollipop gauges for a dual-readout AI computer. For me, the switch led to some hose-routing benefits.

When I used lollipops, I mounted my first-stage regulators at a 45-degree angle and pointed the gauges up toward my chest. This orientation got the gauges into an easy-to-find spot in my "golden triangle," but it also made for somewhat-awkward hose routing.
  • The primary regulator hose (left side) angled toward my chest before going up and around my neck's left side. This route essentially took a half-inch off the usable length.
  • The LP inflator hose (left side) angled downward (no matter which port I used), and as a result, my inflator assembly stuck out to the left like a horn. It made for easy grabbing, but it wasn't exactly streamlined.
  • The 7-foot hose (right side) angled down and away from my body before getting strapped to the the right tank. The angle made the hose somewhat more efficient to stow, as it came off the regulator closer to the tank's body, but otherwise, I found no real benefits.
  • A drysuit hose (right side) either pointed up toward my left shoulder (off a standard LP port), or down toward my left foot (off a 5th port). The downward angle made a long hose easy to route under my waist strap, but both angles also required that I use a long inflator hose; neither one would let me use a short hose that could lay horizontally across my chest, straight from first-stage regulator to drysuit inflator.
Now that I've gone to AI, I mount my first stages horizontally, and all the hoses just go straight up and down. They're generally easier to manage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom